T2: what's it all about?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jus407

T2: what's it all about?

#1 Post by jus407 »

Well im not exactly sure what T2 is but i was hoping someone could clear up a few questions about it for me.

for instance, (well i tried to locate the original post or file stating this but was unsucesful) somewhere i read that when puppy is released you will be able to add your own scripts easier or other scritps from other linux distros is that true and if so how can i start getting ready as there are many programs i want on puppy like NVU, and some cd authoring programs, and was wondering if someone knew what had to be done in order to add the scripts to puppy (if anything at all) and will there still be the possiblility of unleshed for 2.10? if nto thats cool but just wondering.

and also if you can use source code from other linuxs is there a limit to what source code you can install? like is puppy limited debian, linspire, and DSL source code due to some compiling differences?

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Jus,

I see that you ask some advanced questions from a very beginer point of view so I will try to clarify the issue:

- A script is a program written in a language that does not require compilation (conversion to machine language) and gets executed by an interpreter.

- Not all programs are scripts. Most programs are written in compiled languages (For linux it is mostly C and C++). In this languages the source code is human readable but the compiler converts it to machine language.

- Rarely source code will be Distro-dependant. Actually that's one of the reasons programs are provided as source code, so they can be compiled for different platforms.

- Scripts are sometimes distro-dependant as they may make some environment assumptions that are not true in other distributions.

- What makes a program easier or more difficult to use in a particular distro is the dependencies. Programs depend on other generic libraries or environments. So if a program has many dependencies that are not included in a particular distribution then it becomes more difficult to addapt as you will also need to install all the dependencies.

- From T2's web page
T2 web page wrote:it is a flexible Open Source System Development Environment or Distribution Build Kit (some might even name it Meta Distribution ...)
T2 Provides scripts to assemble a distribution as well as the source code packages required to create the distribution.

That does not mean that you can only use packages provided by T2.

A linux is a linux is a linux. This means that what runs in a particular distribution should also run in other distributions provided that the required dependencies are installed. Actually as I wrote in my Blog: A distribution is not an end but a starting point to customize your own linux.

I hope this clarifies things.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

basically, i don't think T2 will change anything for most people who use Puppy ... i think you should be able to remaster Puppy and build Puppy iso's using Unleashed packages, the same as before

Sit Heel Speak

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

A basic overview of T2 as it pertains to Puppy is at

http://www.puppyos.net/pfs/