What puppy for an old EeePC 900?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
DJM

What puppy for an old EeePC 900?

#1 Post by DJM »

Hello, my wife has an old EeePC 900 which she uses everyday just to browse Internet and watch some YouTube videos. That's all. I installed on her machine Saluki 0.23 which is pretty good but still a bit slow especially when watching YouTube videos (they are not smooth). Is there a faster distro I can try? Any suggestion? Thank you!

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey DJM

I have the same model and a couple of 701s and run puppeee1.0 (there are 2 flavours depending on your processor)

they are VERY fast eeepc build specific from jemimah and are the dogs danglies

the only problem I've had is with chrome not handling video too well so I installed firefox

HIGHLY recommended, look here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Pu ... uppeee1.0/

:)

DJM

#3 Post by DJM »

ally wrote:hey DJM

they are VERY fast eeepc build specific from jemimah and are the dogs danglies

HIGHLY recommended, look here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Pu ... uppeee1.0/
Hi Ally and thank you. Yeah I read everywhere that Jemimah's builds are generally great and very fast. This is why I installed Saluki (Jemimah's last work). Do you think Puppeee (even if very old now) will perform better than Saluki on my old Eee PC 900?

teknoid

#4 Post by teknoid »

I'm waiting for your feedback about saluki.
Because i find an old EEEPC 701.

Some information about PUPPEEE Here

Regards

DJM

#5 Post by DJM »

teknoid wrote:I'm waiting for your feedback about saluki.
Regards
As I wrote in my first post, I alread installed Saluki. It's very good but Youtube videos are not smooth, and I tried with all the browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Midori, etc.).
Last edited by DJM on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Hello DJM,
I developed Legacy OS 4 Mini for my EeePC 900A. Youtube etc all run fine and the installed Firefox version 5.0 will update itself to version 16.0 by clicking on help in firefox. Flash 11, Java codecs all come preinstalled. You'll have to install the Wifi Drivers after install. Also a reboot will be needed to make Wifi work.

Visit Legacy's homepage for reviews and more info.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LegacyOS
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

DJM

#7 Post by DJM »

john biles wrote:Hello DJM,
I developed Legacy OS 4 Mini for my EeePC 900A. Youtube etc all run fine and the installed Firefox version 5.0 will update itself to version 16.0 by clicking on help in firefox. Flash 11, Java codecs all come preinstalled.
Great, is Legacy OS faster than Puppeee?
john biles wrote: You'll have to install the Wifi Drivers after install. Also a reboot will be needed to make Wifi work.
Ehm... you know where to get the latest WiFi drivers for EeePC 900?

ally

#8 Post by ally »

I suggest you download and give them a go and see which you prefer

I did try a few other builds but found the bespoke nature of puppeee worked too well!

sorry john, I hadn't tried legacy on the eeepc so cannot comment although I have been impressed with it when I tested on another machine, it is soon to be shipped on a laptop for my nephew/nieces

look forward to seeing your new build

ally

#9 Post by ally »

DJM see your inbox

atheros pet should be there

Volhout

1001ha

#10 Post by Volhout »

I run slacks 5.3.3 on my 1001ha eeePC. I know of puppeee, have Used it for over 1 year, but like the stability of Slacko better.

ally

#11 Post by ally »

I've also used slacko 5.3.3 (my main/preferred distro) but find puppeee works better with screen resolutions and hardware

it's well worth a play though, slacko has worked (well) with all the devices I have from p3 laptops, dual core desktops/laptops

still prefer puppeee on the eee though!

DJM

#12 Post by DJM »

I developed Legacy OS 4 Mini for my EeePC 900A. Youtube etc all run fine and the installed Firefox version 5.0 will update itself to version 16.0 by clicking on help in firefox.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LegacyOS
Hi John, so I installed Legacy OS this afternoon and I'm very impressed: it is really so fast, this is absolutely the best distro I tried on EeePC till now, congrats man!! I only had some little problems with wi-fi as I have a WPA2 and Pwireless doesn't support it so I installed Pwireless 2 and everthing is fine now ;) Another problem is with fonts: I updated Firefox from v5.0 to v12.0 (not 16.0, the automatic update installs v12.0) but I still can't see chinese chars on websites. Do you know of any .pet to display chinese fonts? Also, talking about chinese, I need to install some chinese input app so my wife can write in chinese. On Saluki I had installed fctix or SCIM for this but on Legacy OS noone of them seem to work... :( Any help? Thank you!

john biles

#13 Post by john biles »

Hello DJM,
First in relation to Firefox I've had Legacy OS 4 Mini installed on my EeePC for over a year and each time a new version of Firefox was released it updated. I'm assuming that's why it stopped at version 16 and not 12 like it did with you.

In Legacy all Apps I make available are in tar.gz and only need to be unzipped to / and no where else.

You'll find a install guide PDF on this as well as an Asian-Font-Pack tar.gz I've just created for you. Follow this link

Download Applications + Install guide from Here: http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/LegacyOS/

You'll need to enter user = puppy password = linux

Once unzipped open Firefox and navigate to any Chinese site and see if all is good.
Also, talking about chinese, I need to install some chinese input app so my wife can write in chinese. On Saluki I had installed fctix or SCIM for this but on Legacy OS noone of them seem to work...
Your other Chinese problem any links to apps. I'll see what I can do but make no promises...

Lastly what Pwireless 2 pet did you install to get wpa2 working. I'll test it and add it to the Repository.

DJM

#14 Post by DJM »

an Asian-Font-Pack tar.gz I've just created for you.
Thank you! :)
john biles wrote: Lastly what Pwireless 2 pet did you install to get wpa2 working. I'll test it and add it to the Repository.
I installed the one at http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pwireless and works just fine.

john biles

#15 Post by john biles »

Hello DJM,
Thanks for Pwireless 2 link tested and works fine. Will add to Repository. Included in the Asian-Font-Pack is Chinese, Korean and Japanese Fonts.
They are working fine for me in testing.

What does your wife think...

mdisaster2

#16 Post by mdisaster2 »

My 701 still works like a charm with Puppee 1.0.

I just added two SFSs, one with Opera (because Opera is real fast, plus has the "resize to screen size" thing that helps a lot with the miserable screen size of the 701), and one with Skype (it is a old beta version but works great, webcam and all).

Ah, and something I done to the control panes caused the fan to stop for good, so I don't have to listen to that dentist drill noise anymore.
(the 701 itself don't seem to be affected, even in extreme summer heat). Not bad at all :)

DJM

#17 Post by DJM »

john biles wrote:What does your wife think...
Hi John! My wife needed SCIM for chinese input and the PPStream app to watch chinese movies. I hit my head for 2 days to make both apps working on Legacy OS but with no luck. I think the distro is simply too old to run recent apps... :( Anyways I ended up choosing Saluki which is slightly slower than Legacy OS but allow the installation of all the programs. Thank anyways and I hope to see a new release of Legacy OS! ;)