Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#141 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote: About Rox-Filer bug. That needs other reports with latest Dpup Wheezy. As I told previous woof was not fully ok.
I dont have any problems or error messages with Rox move operations.
No problems here either and I've moved a bunch of stuff
on two machines. Using ext3 and/or ext4 partitions and fat32 flash drives.

James C

#142 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install on the Athlon XP box.......no troubles.

charlie6

Re: Wheezy-5.3.2.3

#143 Post by charlie6 »

Hi pemasu,
i also much appreciate this new wheezy ... a lot of thanks
sszindian wrote:5.3.2.3...One thing I do find (and not just with Wheezy)... 'The Fonts' in the overall program (not the pinstall stuff) are just too d*m thin and small for my old eyes... is there a way we can get them to look like they do in say... Exprimo-3.6.2 ???...
...and so do i , fonts in exprimos looks far better :)

another thing: (maybe not relevant only for this wheezy)
does this wheezy has udf filesystem in it (see Barry recent post here) http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00096
How to do it if not?

Thanks for any answer!
charlie
(ps: nooo...there wasn't any bad plan nor kind of conspiration together with forum member sszindian to bring you to update this wheezy ... :wink: )

pemasu

#144 Post by pemasu »

Fatter fonts a la exprimo. It is just matter what stuff you have inside /etc/fonts. I just copied the configuration files from exprimo. You can do it manually by copying /etc/fonts/* from any Puppy.

Charlie6. Yes, I have all the updated scripts needed for improved filesystem detection. How to format usb or hdd ( are you nuts !) to udf, I dont have slightest idea. But....just hunt the info from the net...or from murga-linux. I believe the fix was meant for certain udf formatted disks (optical media) which were not detected properly with new kernels.
Attachments
fatter-fonts-fix-0.0.1.pet
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

01micko

#145 Post by 01micko »

the fly shit on my monitor wrote:: nooo...there wasn't any bad plan nor kind of conspiration together with forum member sszindian to bring you to update this wheezy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie.. see this post for some useful stuff to do with UDF.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

anikin

#146 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,

It would be really nice if fonts in all your (and other's) builds were like in Exprimo by default. People would say then: "Them, pemasu-style fonts look good out of the box."

pemasu

#147 Post by pemasu »

I am in paranoid mood, heh, Font conspiracy now. Lol.
I dont have any objections to use the font outlook which was in Exprimo. I didnt get much feedback about font after first squeeze builds. So...I didnt know if people liked it or not.
I change the font outlook in next build. If the base components start to behave, then it is time to check what Puppyland apps should be or not be in the base build.

peebee

#148 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

I still have my copy errors with 3.5.2.3

This is a pristine manual frugal install onto an ntfs formatted disk with an ext2 savefile.

The error appears after the savefile is created.

To test, I made 2 new test directories and copied 16 files between them - 16 errors - see screenie

Code: Select all

Copying /mnt/home/zzz1/Worcester GBG 2014.xlsx as /mnt/home/zzz/Worcester GBG 2014.xlsx
cp: preserving permissions for `/mnt/home/zzz/Worcester GBG 2014.xlsx': Operation not supported
Failed to copy '/mnt/home/zzz1/Worcester GBG 2014.xlsx'

Done
There were 16 errors.
The same error occurs with 01micko's new Slacko 5.4.0.2

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
screenie.png
(86.15 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#149 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Sounds like woof bug then. There were many changes in filesystem - partition handling scripts. I believe this will get attention. You should post the finding also in Slacko thread...so that it get more publicity.

pemasu

#150 Post by pemasu »

Okay. Peebee has been busy. He has posted to the Slacko thread and to the Barry`s blog.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 035#683035
So...the fix can be done by downgrading the initrd ntfs-3g, which means that savefile problem comes back with compressed ntfs. So many of us really need and use compressed ntfs with Puppy. Right ?

And here is more info about udf. There is the post above by 01micko for those interested.
Posted on 7 Feb 2013, 4:25 by amigo
Re udf "multisession"
Yes, udf should work like using a normal read-write hard-disk or flash drive -you'll want to make sure that /tmp and possibly /var (and /proc, /sys, ??) are mounted on tmpfs or otherwise isolated from / so that any writes there do not go to the udf filesystem. aufs could still be useful there, but should not be required.
There are relevant patches floating around between debian, gento and arch, for the udftools -I see I don't have my more-complete patch-set uploaded -you need some init scripts to set the device up at startup also. I was just working on this a few days ago -adding still another patch, so I'll try to get the sources all tidied up and uploaded.
Posted on 7 Feb 2013, 4:42 by amigo
UDF patches, etc.
OK, here you go:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/amigolinux/do ... s-1.0.0b5/
You should find everything you need there to get it going. Best to download everything you find there as it is not all available elsewhere any longer. There's quite a few docs, there too in Resources.
Well, it looks like there would be need for more initrd fixes before the usage would be fully supported. If I understood right.

artsown

#151 Post by artsown »

3.5.2.3 works well on my old pentium 4 desktops. Very fast! I was impressed that the
repo supplied me with a working Sylpheed with no hassles. First pup I've ever tried
that has no email app (that I could find).

Art

pemasu

#152 Post by pemasu »

Artsown. I havent provided email app with most of my builds. It started with Snow Puppy. You can check my thoughts about preinstalled email app in that thread, first post. Since then I havent much provided it. And yes....Sylpheed works oob, what I tested from debian repo. And it does not need gtk3 !!! as in Precise Puppy. I use Thunderbird...symlinked from /mnt/home, some uses Simple Mail addon with Firefox, most uses Gmail or other webmail and so on. So many preferences.

I am going to provide quite little of preinstalled apps. Not gonna grow the build as I have done with Dpup Exprimo. The debian repo provides so much good stuff. Just use it. And Puppy apps can be found from the murga-linux forum.

James C

#153 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Okay. Peebee has been busy. He has posted to the Slacko thread and to the Barry`s blog.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 035#683035
So...the fix can be done by downgrading the initrd ntfs-3g, which means that savefile problem comes back with compressed ntfs. So many of us really need and use compressed ntfs with Puppy. Right ?
When not to use NTFS compression
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/ ... ssion.html
NTFS compression can cause performance degradation since a compressed NTFS file is first decompressed, then copied, and finally recompressed as a new file. In addition, compression can increase the fragmentation of your drive if frequent writes are involved.

As a result, you should only use NTFS compression on clients and not on servers. The only types of servers where it might be ok to use compression would be those where files are read but rarely written, such as Web servers serving up static pages to clients.

As a caveat, even on clients it's not usually a good idea to compress operating system files such as the system32 folder. Compress your data folder instead, but only if your data is relatively static. Or better yet, add more hard drive space since large hard drives are increasingly affordable.
I regretfully still use Windows every day....... but I don't even consider using compressed NTFS. Bigger hard drives are cheap. :)

pemasu

#154 Post by pemasu »

James C. I have lived in the era when things were opposite. Our first server in my previous company had 100 Mb massive hdd. At home hdd was about 10 Mb. And this was needed. Even companies used it to preserve precious hdd space.
http://www.quickerwit.com/product.cfm?p1=3002&p2=1&p3=3
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#155 Post by James C »

I only go back to the 5 1/4 -inch floppy era...... :)

One more...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251186
While NTFS file system compression can save disk space, compressing data can adversely affect performance.

pemasu

#156 Post by pemasu »

I only go back to the 5 1/4 -inch floppy era......
Heh. I stored my gradu statistical analysis to that kind floppy -89-90. The statistical app and comp were really fascinating pieces.

James C

#157 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:
I only go back to the 5 1/4 -inch floppy era......
Heh. I stored my gradu statistical analysis to that kind floppy -89-90. The statistical app and comp were really fascinating pieces.
We probably should change the subject before people start thinking we're old.... :lol:

Time for a nap. :)

pemasu

#158 Post by pemasu »

artsown

#159 Post by artsown »

sszindian

#160 Post by sszindian »

Really coming together for you pemasu! I knew you had what it takes :wink:

Only thing I notice on 3.5.2.3 is that NASA thing still jumping back and forth between the video and pupTelly main menu...
Yea, those fly's are a real pest on the monitor, always makes extra dots in the code :) :) :)

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
desktop-3.5.2.3.png
(103.22 KiB) Downloaded 1201 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]