Embedded Linux Project

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
hackus

Embedded Linux Project

#1 Post by hackus »

Hello,

I thought I would take this time to describe my project and if your interested, great! If your not, why are you reading this?

:-)

We have a problem with Xploretech tablets. They cost too much!

:-)

So, I have embarked on creating a forklift or lifttruck tablet/touch screen system that runs Linux.

The system is based on one of these:

CI8252A motherboard, with a wireless Atheros radio unit and a Xenarc Touch Screen for touch input and compact flash for reliability.

You C, the Xploretech tablets are exposed to 25-110 degree temperature ranges and the hard disks tend to go south in them, so puppy here plays a key role in its ability to boot a kernel from flash. A 2.6 kernel more importantly.

Historically I modified a Fedora Core 4 installation, with xvkbd as the touch screen keyboard for the Xploretech tablet, and that works WAY better than the Microsoft version that ships with the tablets.

Which brings me to the other reason why I am doing this, no public or open source drivers for the touch screen chipset that is in the Xploretech C2/Renegade tablets.

So, right now, I got around that problem by contracting with Touchbase in England and we pay them $100 per tablet for a license to run a xorg driver for the touch screen.

Well, I want a whole touch based computer based on open source and hardware.

The touch screen I am using is a Xenarc 1020TSV, and it is based on the eGalaxy chipset so it has public drivers.

Since the current company I work for is in the warehousing business, I figure I can cut the average price of a forklift computer from $3200 to about $1500 with a Linux solution.

I am the network manager at this company, so an offshoot of this project will be puppy Linux running quagga/bgpd and openvpn, which I will probably strip the puppy down build a BGP router with the same hardware as it comes with 4 ethernet ports.

I just ordered the source CD's from Barry and hope to get those in the next few weeks so I can conitnue building the device drivers I need for the CI8252A.

-Hackus

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Welcome. Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

raffy

Title

#3 Post by raffy »

Embedded Linux is a very general term, so you might as well add the tablet device in your title. And also
If your not, why are you reading this?
is unnecessary. Puppy Linux is a community of goodwill, and users should try to live up to this norm.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

gamfa

#4 Post by gamfa »

I'm rooting for ya bud. Sounds like a very interesting project.
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

Pizzasgood

Re: Title

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

raffy wrote:Embedded Linux is a very general term, so you might as well add the tablet device in your title. And also
If your not, why are you reading this?
is unnecessary. Puppy Linux is a community of goodwill, and users should try to live up to this norm.
It was a joke maybe? I know I sometimes make a joke that comes out sounding somewhat mean (doesn't happen here so much as real-life).

Hmm.... Puppy Linux: Heavy Lifter Edition. I like it. :D

I've been meaning to look into building a media-server and/or jukebox using Puppy to augment the stereo system I got from my uncle last spring. Won't happen soon, but someday when I have some spare change weighing me down....
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jus407

#6 Post by jus407 »

yes good luck and keep us updates does your site have a website? name of company