Accidental keystroke closes all running windows (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

Accidental keystroke closes all running windows (Solved)

#1 Post by nubc »

Had I posted this issue earlier today, it would have been titled EXTREMELY annoying accidental keystroke closes all running windows, all instances of Seamonkey, that is. I was composing a tedious email which was almost impossible to recreate from memory after the accident. I adjusted my position in the chair and brushed my palm across Ctrl and the Left Arrow navigation key.. Aside from this accidental keystroke, I have no idea why all 10 windows suddenly closed. Is there a key combination that closes all instances of Seamonkey? This is not the first time it happened. I'd like to disable the key combo, if possible.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If I remember right, one of the keys at the upper right of my keyboard used to do that. I forget which one. The only solution I know is to upgrade to a later version of Puppy.

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

If that keystroke is changeable is a matter of if it is a keyboard macro also known as shortcut keys or if it is particular to seamonkey and can be changed in Edit/Preferences.
I have had a like experience on the forum where while I was logged on, after typing a post/reply, I was told I was off line and did I want to log on.
After logging on then, the message has supposedly disappeared.
I used the green back pointing arrow at the top of the screen to back up to my message that still was there and then submitted. And sometimes I got an error and had to submit it twice.

npierce

#4 Post by npierce »

Flash wrote:If I remember right, one of the keys at the upper right of my keyboard used to do that.
Yes, it was Insert.
nubc wrote:Wary 5.1.1
The Insert key was known to crash SeaMonkey while composing posts with Wary 5.1.1. See http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02253.
Flash wrote:. . . upgrade to a later version of Puppy.
That's probably the best solution. If you don't want to upgrade right now, here are some others:

Perhaps my favorite solution is a hardware solution that charlie6 came up with :) :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 696#512696

He also had success with a software solution (although this was for wary511-q01, not Wary 5.1.1):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 725#521725

I'm not sure I would recommend installing a different GTK, since most everything on Puppy depends upon GTK, and all versions of GTK are buggy. So if you have a distro where everything has been tweaked to work with a certain version of GTK, changing the version could fix one problem and cause other problems to show up elsewhere.

Barry compiled gtk+-2.24.8 with the configuration needed to fix the Insert key bug (http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02594), and shinobar tested that gtk+-2.24.8 with a beta version of Wary 5.2.2 (Wary 5.2.1.90) (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 469#582469).
And it did fix the Insert key problem, so Barry used it in Wary 5.2.2.

But, again, what worked with Wary 5.2.1.90 and Wary 5.2.2 might not behave as well with Wary 5.1.1. Still, if you are feeling adventurous, back-up you important stuff and go for it.

If you do not feel up to the potential problems that could appear after replacing a major library, and you don't have much use for your Insert key, you could use the method devised by Dougal and Shep. They fixed the problem by remapping the Insert key:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 054#537054

That is probably the easiest solution if you want to stick with Wary 5.1.1. Or you can train your fingers to avoid the Insert key like the proverbial plague -- just as many fingers were trained to avoid the RESET key on the original Apple II keyboard in a previous century. :)

Good luck.

P.S. nubc, does your keyboard have a keypad? It just occurred to me that if your crash resulted from hitting a key near the arrow keys, the key that you hit might be the zero key on the keypad (which acts as an Insert key when Numlock is off). If so, the solution might be as simple as keeping NumLock on, since the non-NumLock alter-egos of those keys are duplicated on other keys (unless you have a REALLY old keyboard). I believe you can even configure recent Puppies to turn NumLock on at boot time. (Or you could use the Dougal and Shep method, substituting the name "KP_Insert" for "Insert".)

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

@ npierce
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. The mystery key may well have been the keypad's large 0/Ins key. The keyboard's NumLock is now on. I have to mention that I hit the Insert key in the Del/Home/PgUp/PgDn key cluster quite often, both accidentally and on purpose, with no dire consequences. Just tried it, and it didn't close SM.

npierce

#6 Post by npierce »

nubc wrote:The keyboard's NumLock is now on.
Oh good. It's nice when there is a simple solution.

You're welcome.

EDIT:
nubc wrote:I hit the Insert key in the Del/Home/PgUp/PgDn key cluster quite often, both accidentally and on purpose, with no dire consequences. Just tried it, and it didn't close SM.
Interesting. I've been lucky, and never had a Puppy with this problem. But those that have say it only happens when doing things like entering text for a forum post. If doing that doesn't cause a problem for you, then your problem may be elsewhere.

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

Oops, while I was posting another topic, I intentionally pressed the Insert key and this caused all instances of SM to close. Grrrr