A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
nooby

#161 Post by nooby »

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWheezy/DpupWheezy3522/

says it can not find it so I stripped off to this
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/
and that worked and there one could find the iso
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWheezy/DpupWheezy3522/

Surprise is that they look same one work the other does not so odd.
I click on the first page link it fails then I go manually
and it works and that is same link so what could that be about?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#162 Post by pemasu »

Download link in the first post has been fixed. I have removed a lot stuff from my repository, granted by Smokey01. The host server needed freeing up the disk space so...I have removed several Gb`s of old stuff.

artsown

#163 Post by artsown »

Failed to get a working Conky from the repos. It wasn't clear to me which Conky to
install from the default repo and I wound up installing all three. No luck. Missing dependency
and lib. So I uninstalled all three and tried tried Conky-all from debian-wheezy-contrib (system)
and still no luck. Searched all repos for the missing files with no hits.

If I copied correctly, the missing files are libcurl-gnutils.so.4 and libtiff43.9.5-3~libxft22.1.1

Art

anikin

Re: Dpup Wheezy. Woof2 built debian wheezy packages based Puppy

#164 Post by anikin »

pemasu wrote:Dpup Wheezy

Here is the latest announcement of Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.3 : http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 794#682794
Hi pemasu,

I'm really sorry to bother you with this one, but I badly need that 'eee fan control' to be able to test this new release. Using my netbook without it becomes torture.

Thank you in advance for all your good work.
Last edited by anikin on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#165 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. This is the previous patched eee.ko module, compiled for this kernel.
Attachments
eee_fan_cpu-k3.5.2.pet
(4.2 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

OscarTalks

#166 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Pemasu,

Sorry if I am being a pain about ffmpeg but just did a test:-

Booted pfix=ram, clicked a video file which played in Gnome-Mplayer.

Searched for Audacity in PPM and installed it with dependencies (including some libav*.so libs). Wouldn't start, one missing lib "libva" which I searched for and found and installed via PPM, no problem.

Audacity now runs but the video file no longer plays in Gnome-Mplayer.

Is there some feature of the newer ffmpeg which you feel is essential to include in this distro?

I was looking into this a bit more and hadn't realised that the official Debian Wheezy 0.8.5 package is not ffmpeg but libav (sometimes also called avconv because that is the name of the binary). The libav project (http://libav.org) is a break-away group of developers so the files are similar to those from the ffmpeg source but not neccessarily compatible.

The numbers are also similar but not the same, libav 0.8.5 is newer than ffmpeg 0.8.12 and latest libav is only 0.9.x

Ubuntu Precise (and the Precise Puppies) uses this package too. I remember reading somewhere that they (Debian and Ubuntu) were making this switch away from ffmpeg but I hadn't realised that it had already happened.

Anyway, as a suggestion I was wondering if you would consider exchanging the ffmpeg for the libav (avconv) 0.8.5 package and re-compiling Mplayer and any apps that depend on these libs?

I think this would improve Dpup Wheezy as a distro in terms of compatibilty with the other multimedia apps in the official repos.

It would also mean that apps such as Linphone and Deadbeef will compile fully without problems as they do in Precise Puppy and Upup Precise.
Oscar in England

James C

#167 Post by James C »

Still attempting to test a little.........
Attachments
wheezy-3.5.2.3.jpg
(57.96 KiB) Downloaded 824 times

pemasu

#168 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. Your suggestion means to rely wheezy official apps and libs. It means to include all dependent libs those apps require. The build will grow significantly. Not problem to me. It also means probably couple of woof builds before all the needed libs have been found. Mplayer - Gnome-mplayer and that libav based ffmpeg need a lot libs which are not in place now. And also libpulse will pop up then. Compiling multimedia apps without it will not be possible after that swap. Well...not so big problem either if the libpulse is in place anyway.

There is no use to compile own multimedia apps and include them. If i do that, PPM will complain all the time that those official unused libs are not found and suggest to download them and they will overwrite my home compiled ones. It is my home compiled stuff or official....not the mix of them. So....no multimedia apps update by me if we swap to the official ones.

Personally I dont like abandoning ffmpeg and use that libav based replacement. All the Puppy own ffmpeg relying applications have been created using real ffmpeg not this replacement. And that replacement ffmpeg will vanish in the future, libav guys have included it for now as compatiblity reasons. They dont want to do that in the future.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

anikin

#169 Post by anikin »

pemasu wrote:Anikin. This is the previous patched eee.ko module, compiled for this kernel.
Thank you very much, pemasu. An interesting observation: fresh boot, pfix=ram. I did nothing, except accepting timezone and country. No save file, installed this pet and it worked with no further effort on my part. In comparison, exprimo required to have 'acpi_enforce_resources=lax' as boot parameter for eee.ko to work.

artsown

#170 Post by artsown »

Pemasu, I wasn't suggesting reliance on repos. I was simply reporting info you had asked for,
namely our experiences with the repos. In the case of Sylpheed it was good, but in the case
of Conky, it was repo hell :)

I tried a Conky pet designed for Lucid that didn't work. I'm not having any luck finding one
designed to run on wheezy. So I guess I'll have to wait.

Meanwhile all the basics of wheezy are working very well for me!

Art

OscarTalks

#171 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Pemasu,

Thanks for responding about ffmpeg.

You say that a mix of the two sets of libs is not good and I understand that. From my testing it breaks gnome-mplayer and pmusic too.

How can I (or any user) avoid getting a mix of the two when I download an official Debian Wheezy multimedia app from the repos in PPM?

Which Puppy apps would not work if you were to use only the libav* 0.8.5 libs from the libav project?

Personally I think it would be better to have a larger size distro if it improves compatibility, but of course I respect your decision.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#172 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. Oops....I meant to reply to OscarTalks, the previous feedback went to the wrong guy.
Yep. Relying to the PPM offerings means that I use wheezy packages. I will test the building with wheezy packages. We will see how much the iso size grows. It will be interesting experiment.

pemasu

#173 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.4 has been uploaded. It uses now debian libav based ffmpeg with dependent libs, debian Mplayer with needed libs. The compliance with Debian other multimedia apps and libs is now better. I also added image viewer, choose Geeqie from debian repo. I just added the edit with options for Fotoxx and Mtpaint to launch inside Geeqie.

Some missing other libs has been added also. Pmusic with all dependencies, Pfind, Pfilesearch, Pschedule has been updated.
Peasypdf and Network_roxapp has been added.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupWheezy/DpupWheezy3524/

James C

#174 Post by James C »

Quick frugal install...... everything appears to be working correctly ootb.

VIDEO REPORT: Dpup Wheezy, version 3.5.2.4

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1440x900
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb fbdevhw glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

sszindian

#175 Post by sszindian »

Wheezy-3.5.2.4

My, My, My... you have done a lot of work on this build and I'm sure it will take much testing to see everything new in it.

Just a few I've noticed so far...

The new 'Geegie' feature for the default viewer is a really nice touch!!!

Google_Earth-6.0.3.2197-luki.sfs now loads in Wheezy and really works nice. Myself... I never could figure out how to do the googleearth build package in the PPM so this sfs package worked quick and sweet.

Nice job pemasu... this build retains being 'fast' and everything tested, installed etc,. working without problems.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

charlie6

latest Ted-2.23 word processor ...for wheezy

#176 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
here is where to download Ted-2.23 for wheezy - i.e wheezyb4_ted-2.23.i386.deb -->at bottom of web page - ... and some others (baked by 1st february ... still warm ! :wink: )
note: BE PATIENT ! as this repo seems very slow (ca 1 minute) to open.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/editors/ted/whe ... 3.i386.deb
default locale is english;
other locales to be downloaded at the same location !

tip: if the Menu/Tools/Format-Tool dialog box looks :shock: too-too tiny, just open the file usr/share/Ted/config/ted.gtkrc-2.0 using a text editor, and just make it empty, and save it!

(many thanks to it developper, Mark de Does !)

tiny, fast, --> enjoy :) !
Charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 08:15, edited 2 times in total.

don570

#177 Post by don570 »

I tried Wheezy and latest Slacko with an old nvidia video card
nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]
and it boots perfectly with nouveau driver 8)

unlike Exprimo and Fluppy :cry:
which sometimes would boot to black screen
if I tried to use nouveau.

Attachments
report-video-full.gz
compressed report-video from Wheezy
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 373 times

Jim1911

Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.4

#178 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Sorry I'm so late in reviewing this, however, I've had a battle with flu. You've had a number of releases that I've not seen. Your latest is super and is running great on my hardware. Thank you for updating bibletime to the latest, it's working great.

Thanks again for continuing to share your fine distributions.
Jim

OscarTalks

#179 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Pemasu,

Thanks for all the hard work. This is shaping up as a very nice Pup. Confirmed that apps will now download from the debian repo with fewer dependencies and without breaking each other.

I am a little confused though about PPM and the repos in PPM and the process of updating the repos in PPM.

First of all, what is the "debian-wheezy-mmd_main" repo? Are we sure it is supposed to be included in PPM? It seems to offer packages from that repo as dependencies but often they are duplicates of packages from the debian-wheezy-main repo BUT they are different version numbers which would clash if installed. Those packages don't get downloaded anyway, not sure why, an error pops up but it is probably a good thing. Apps will install with the packages from the main repo, all files are installed but the process (deps check - fixmenus) doesn't complete automatically.

If I go to the PPM config and click the button to update the repos and follow the recommendations of the dialog it offers me the extra "update" repos. I end up with 11 different debian-wheezy repos in PPM but the lists have all gone blank.

LATER:- Seems better if I just update the 3 debian repos (skipped the -mmd one) then decline the updates repos (against the recommendation of the dialog). It then goes through the ibiblio repos and completes and the lists are visible.
Oscar in England

James C

#180 Post by James C »

Another frugal install..... this time on an old Intel box.All looking good so far.

VIDEO REPORT: Dpup Wheezy, version 3.5.2.4

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod fb fbdevhw glx kbd mouse record

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 2592MB (168MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 12 Feb 2013 12:10:30 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-