Rox-Filer does not delete after incomplete Move (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

Rox-Filer does not delete after incomplete Move (Solved)

#1 Post by tytower »

I notice when I select a group of files and want to move them, all goes fine as long as no problems are encountered .The files are deleted at the end.
The deleting is not done on any files ,directories etc if there were any problems

So you end up with say 95 of 100 files copied across but "NONE" of the files deleted. You then have to plough through and check each file is copied before you can delete the source.

This is bad . It should be that every file actually moved should be deleted at the source immediately or sent to trash and only those with problems not deleted.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Rox Filer-Actions on Move

#2 Post by Flash »

tytower wrote:...So you end up with say 95 of 100 files copied across but "NONE" of the files deleted. You then have to plough through and check each file is copied before you can delete the source.

This is bad . It should be that every file actually moved should be deleted at the source immediately or sent to trash and only those with problems not deleted.
I consider such cautious behavior to be a feature not a bug. :)
Have you tried tinkering with the settings in ROX? For instance, what happens if you right-click in a ROX window, then choose Options -> Action windows -> Force from the menu that appears? I don't know what it's supposed to do, but it sounds cool.

Bligh

#3 Post by Bligh »

I never use move. I copy the files, verify the copy, then delete the original files if desired. you do what you want.
Cheers

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

Bligh wrote:I never use move. I copy the files, verify the copy, then delete the original files if desired. you do what you want.
Cheers
If you have a few hundred large pictures you want to move in say 20 Directories you would be there all day. Realistically I want them removed once copied not another all day job.!
Last edited by tytower on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

Re: Rox Filer-Actions on Move

#5 Post by tytower »

Flash wrote:Have you tried tinkering with the settings in ROX? For instance, what happens if you right-click in a ROX window, then choose Options -> Action windows -> Force from the menu that appears? I don't know what it's supposed to do, but it sounds cool.
Indeed, hadn't noticed that. Works a treat I think on first tests , Something I can turn on and off as needed . Thanks

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

tallboy

#7 Post by tallboy »

When moving or copying a set of files, the command 'cpio' may be a good alternative. Originally made to move archived directories, with many types of files in it, it has a number of options making it a valuable tool for copying/moving file sets.

Take a look at the manual, http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual/index.html, I recommend to pay special attention to 'copy-pass-mode'.

Here is additional site with great tips on 'cpio' usage: Copy a directory with cpio

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Does 'rsync' have a delete option?

tytower

#9 Post by tytower »

Semme wrote:Ty- the bits about delete....
You are being cryptic Semme .I enjoy cryptic crosswords every day but don't see what you mean here . I'll have to ask for the answer I guess?

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Along with CD's visuals, I thought these might clarify your inquisition.
If you do not want to be asked for confirmation each time you delete something, then open ROX-Filer and right click: Options > Action windows and tick the box next to Delete (see pic6). Click OK to close the options window.

That's it. All you need to do now is select the files/directories you wish to delete and hit the Delete key and they are gone.
And yes Flash- rsync has delete options.