Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 20:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Rox-Filer does not delete after incomplete Move (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
tytower

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 04:26    Post_subject:  Rox-Filer does not delete after incomplete Move (Solved)  

I notice when I select a group of files and want to move them, all goes fine as long as no problems are encountered .The files are deleted at the end.
The deleting is not done on any files ,directories etc if there were any problems

So you end up with say 95 of 100 files copied across but "NONE" of the files deleted. You then have to plough through and check each file is copied before you can delete the source.

This is bad . It should be that every file actually moved should be deleted at the source immediately or sent to trash and only those with problems not deleted.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 23:51    Post_subject: Re: Rox Filer-Actions on Move  

tytower wrote:
...So you end up with say 95 of 100 files copied across but "NONE" of the files deleted. You then have to plough through and check each file is copied before you can delete the source.

This is bad . It should be that every file actually moved should be deleted at the source immediately or sent to trash and only those with problems not deleted.

I consider such cautious behavior to be a feature not a bug. Smile
Have you tried tinkering with the settings in ROX? For instance, what happens if you right-click in a ROX window, then choose Options -> Action windows -> Force from the menu that appears? I don't know what it's supposed to do, but it sounds cool.
Bligh

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 01:05    Post_subject:  

I never use move. I copy the files, verify the copy, then delete the original files if desired. you do what you want.
Cheers
tytower

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 05:08    Post_subject:  

Bligh wrote:
I never use move. I copy the files, verify the copy, then delete the original files if desired. you do what you want.
Cheers

If you have a few hundred large pictures you want to move in say 20 Directories you would be there all day. Realistically I want them removed once copied not another all day job.!

Edited_time_total
tytower

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 05:15    Post_subject: Re: Rox Filer-Actions on Move  

Flash wrote:
Have you tried tinkering with the settings in ROX? For instance, what happens if you right-click in a ROX window, then choose Options -> Action windows -> Force from the menu that appears? I don't know what it's supposed to do, but it sounds cool.

Indeed, hadn't noticed that. Works a treat I think on first tests , Something I can turn on and off as needed . Thanks

Semme

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 07:48    Post_subject:  

Ty- the bits about delete....
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:31    Post_subject:
Sub_title: Why not copy files with 'cpio' instead of 'cp'?

When moving or copying a set of files, the command 'cpio' may be a good alternative. Originally made to move archived directories, with many types of files in it, it has a number of options making it a valuable tool for copying/moving file sets.

Take a look at the manual, http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual/index.html, I recommend to pay special attention to 'copy-pass-mode'.

Here is additional site with great tips on 'cpio' usage: Copy a directory with cpio

tallboy

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 15:38    Post_subject:  

Does 'rsync' have a delete option?
tytower

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 16:49    Post_subject:  

Semme wrote:
Ty- the bits about delete....

You are being cryptic Semme .I enjoy cryptic crosswords every day but don't see what you mean here . I'll have to ask for the answer I guess?

Semme

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb 2013, 22:00    Post_subject:  

Along with CD's visuals, I thought these might clarify your inquisition.
Quote:
If you do not want to be asked for confirmation each time you delete something, then open ROX-Filer and right click: Options > Action windows and tick the box next to Delete (see pic6). Click OK to close the options window.

That's it. All you need to do now is select the files/directories you wish to delete and hit the Delete key and they are gone.

And yes Flash- rsync has delete options.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum