Automounting cdroms in puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
ljones

Automounting cdroms in puppy?

#1 Post by ljones »

I wonder if this program would be of any use to help auto-mount cdrom drives in puppy? I just spotted it on freshmeat :)

http://freshmeat.net/projects/autoeject ... _id=200107
http://psydev.sourceforge.net/new/auto-eject-cdrom/

I've also compiled it, stripped and UPX'd it (and attached here) to make it smaller (though it was only about 16K to start off, but now it's ~4K - the same amount of memory as 4 ZX81s :lol: ).

ljones
Attachments
eject.zip
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 797 times

EarlSmith

#2 Post by EarlSmith »

Since you remember z81s, do you also remember the vic20. I owned both and they met the same fate. Both were placed on the floor and jumped up and down on until they were dead. Then more jumping until they really, really were dead! :twisted:
I must have wasted hundreds of hours on those two machines.
Then I got a c64 - :D - , and I still have it. At the time, a really good computer.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#3 Post by nduanetesh »

I tried this little proggie on my laptop, and it did automount CDroms. Pretty cool. What was uncool, though, is that it would not unmount then when I pushed the drive's eject button. So, I had to manually unmount the CD and then eject the disc. I don't know if my lappy uses some nonstandard "eject" protocol, or if it was actually a problem with the program. And I haven't had a chance to test it out on my other computer...

But, it looks like it would be good. I know a lot of people have been asking about automounting drives...

ND

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

That's the thing about mounting a CD: you can't eject it until it is unmounted. Presumably there is some housekeeping that the OS must do to properly unmount a filesystem, which ejecting a mounted CD would screw up...

If anyone finds a better explanation, I'd be happy to see it. :)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

It would be like ejjecting a floppy part way through a file transfer, same result.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#6 Post by nduanetesh »

but the point of this little program is that it's supposed to notice you hit the "eject" button, unmount the CD and then spit it out. From the website:

Auto-eject-cdrom is a very small C application that handles CD-ROM events in Linux. If new media is inserted in a CD-ROM drive, it is automatically mounted based on a matching entry in /etc/fstab. If a CD-ROM is mounted and the eject button is pressed, the filesystem is umounted and ejected. This allows for the same basic functionality Windows allows with the CD-ROM eject button.

So...yes, I realize that a CD is supposed to be unmounted before it can be ejected, but with this program it's supposed to happen automagically. And at least in the case of my laptop, it doesn't.

ND

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

you can mount and unmount the cd drive by holding the shift key and clicking the cdrom folder (in rox)

this is not mounting automatically, of course

the first distro i got to work with my hardware was Mandrake ... i quickly learned to hate automounting and always disabled it

i also remember how searching for files in Konqueror would fill up my ram and swap, slowing down the computer so much that i had to hit the reset button on the tower to be able to reboot ... locate or find worked with no problems

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo wrote:you can mount and unmount the cd drive by holding the shift key and clicking the cdrom folder (in rox)
I am astonished at how much you know and remember.

For some reasons, one of which is speed, I like working in the command line, and running applications that run from the command line such as: Midnight Commander and Minimum Profit.

I unmount the cdrom device by typing eject, if i want it to eject.

If I just want it to unmount I just type ucdrom (an alias)
  • alias ucdrom='umount /mnt/cdrom'
Naturally, I mount them the same
  • alias mcdrom='mount -t iso9660 dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'
Actually, the alias I really use is not the generic one above, because it doesn't work on my computer, but it would probably work on most computers.
  • alias mcdrom='mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom;cd /mnt/cdrom'

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote: the first distro i got to work with my hardware was Mandrake ... i quickly learned to hate automounting and always disabled it
tee hee
:)

Still not clear of any merits of mounting. This is what I now believe - please correct if I am wrong.
If a file/drive is to be available at all times then it has to seen and take up clock cycles. In the Olde days of computing such clock cycles were precious so you only mounted or made the OS aware of a device when required.

We have move on. I have heard no sensible reason (people have tried) for mounting.
I am so happy with MUT from Jesse (built into Pup 1.0.4 and in tcl) - it at least makes mounting tolerable

As we of a penguin disposition say, "something is fishy"

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

I agree. MUT is a great improvement. It at least gives the impression of intimate control of the computer, which is something I have always wanted but haven't felt with any other OS. The difference between a computer with Windows or Mandriva, and a computer with 1.0.4 Puppy with MUT, is like the difference between riding in a bus or driving a sports car.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#11 Post by JohnMurga »

Hopefully I'll even get to try it tonight ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

Lobster wrote:Still not clear of any merits of mounting. This is what I now believe - please correct if I am wrong.
It is not a case of being wrong. Considerations have more to do with the layout of one's system, where you have disk space, the kind of work one is doing on, what you need and such factors.

A case in point. I just ripped a CD-ROM, this took about 700 MB disk space. (I don't have big hard drives either.)

I had about 2GB free space on hda7 and not enough space on other partitions to rip a CD.

Okay, so I must rip to hda7

I decode the .wav to .mp3s in RAM, it is faster and saves head movment on the drive.

I store the mp3s on hdc5, so I copied the mp3s from RAM to the appropriate directory on hdc5.

I use hdc5 for non programs, downloading .iso file and other files.

Hdc5 is in a sense a storage drive and the computer can run fine if I pull it out.

It is also a working drive for building packages and compiling and etc.

Anytime I download a file it goes on hdc5, so I want it always mounted and accessible.

Puppy is installed on hda6 along with Suse and there is not much room on that partition for much of anything very large.

FYI the hard disks are each 8GB - not large by today's standards. hda needs separate partitions as it hosts 4 operating systems.

Also, I share major applications between all the Linux installations and the applications may be on another partition depending on the Linux I'm running and of course that device must mounted in order to use it.