Questions about this forum's policies

Booting, installing, newbie
trueriver

Questions about this forum's policies

#1 Post by trueriver »

hi everyone.

There is *lots* of help here about Puppy.

There is also help here (in the FAQ link at the top of the page) about using the forum software.

But what I can't find is any help about the "soft" aspects of the forum.

My immediate question was "how do I ask for the right to upload attachments?".

My meta-question is "Where (if anywhere) should I have looked for the answer to the immediate question?"

Regards
River~~

Terryphi

#2 Post by Terryphi »

As far as I know only attachments with these file extensions are allowed:

Archives: ace, bz2, gtar, gz, pet, pup, rar, tar, zip

Max Size: 256 KB

For larger files you would have to provide a link to your website or a file sharing site.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Amgine

#3 Post by Amgine »

I am not sure, I think you might need 50 posts. "But I might be thinking of a different forum"
Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Know where your Puppy files are, Back-up & Share files. https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2118185/"]Sign Up!

Terryphi

#4 Post by Terryphi »

Amgine wrote:I am not sure, I think you might need 50 posts. "But I might be thinking of a different forum"
That may be right. It sounds sensible to discourage spam.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

IIRC you can attach from the get-go.

The "Add an attachment" blue bar and info should be right below the thread posting stuff, directly under "Notify me when a reply is posted".

Should be.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Terryphi wrote:As far as I know only attachments with these file extensions are allowed:

Archives: ace, bz2, gtar, gz, pet, pup, rar, tar, zip

Max Size: 256 KB

For larger files you would have to provide a link to your website or a file sharing site.
The above is true about type of attachments allowed for all to post.

The forum is not tightly controlled as to size of posting attachments, but the forum is being supplied by JohnMurga and he pays for the storage and bandwidth used.
Anything to help keep his cost down is a big help.
As a general rule keep it as small as you can.
Less than 1GB in size.
Again,

JohnMurga believes in keeping the forum as open as possible. Tight control is not his way of operating.

The Puppy developers have more access to the forum and can post whatever they need to.

General users are, for the most part, limited to type of attachment and asked to be helpful in keeping size to a minimum.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I'm pretty sure you can add attachments from your first post in this forum. John Murga recently reduced the maximum size of an attachment to 256 KB.

The forum's rules aren't written down anywhere in particular, but all you have to do is ask. :)

Amgine

#8 Post by Amgine »

If you need a place to put and share files I use Ubuntu-One. (Cloud storage)

https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2118185

http://ubuntuone.com/4w4oxekrSHVnwwz85mASI0
Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Know where your Puppy files are, Back-up & Share files. https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2118185/"]Sign Up!

trueriver

#9 Post by trueriver »

starhawk wrote:...
The "Add an attachment" blue bar and info should be right below the thread posting stuff, directly under "Notify me when a reply is posted".
yes it is there, but I have an upload limit of zero bytes.

I'm not complaining, as spam is a [rude word] nuisance. But it is odd that there is no info to tell me about why, or how to get it changed.

And a 50 post limit could be taken by some as an incentive to spam.... I was assuming there might be some human element involved in turning it on.

River~~~

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

The "Maximum Upload Size: 0 Bytes" text just means that it's 'unlimited' - I have it, too, and I've posted attachments to the forum, before. :)

...but if there is indeed a hard limit of 256kB for an attachment, now, perhaps the text should be changed to reflect that.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

Means it's unlimited? Cool. I always thought that was an error that John never had time to fix, like the edited_times_total that I see every so often ;)

Amgine

#12 Post by Amgine »

trueriver wrote:hi everyone.

There is *lots* of help here about Puppy.

There is also help here (in the FAQ link at the top of the page) about using the forum software.

But what I can't find is any help about the "soft" aspects of the forum.

My immediate question was "how do I ask for the right to upload attachments?".

My meta-question is "Where (if anywhere) should I have looked for the answer to the immediate question?"

Regards
River~~
Are you using any add blockers, no script, cookie blockers, or are your cookies off?
Last edited by Amgine on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

Me? Chrome with AdblockPlus.

The one ad on this forum still shows through, tho!

Amgine

#14 Post by Amgine »

starhawk wrote:Me? Chrome with AdblockPlus.

The one ad on this forum still shows through, tho!

No I was asking the OP, I don't think ad-block would keep him from using the attachments.

I am thanking more of a script blocker, or a Cookie issue.

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

I think he's just confused.

trueriver -- can you try uploading an image, less than 256k in size, to see what happens? (GIF or JPG will work for sure!)

trueriver

#16 Post by trueriver »

Makoto wrote:The "Maximum Upload Size: 0 Bytes" text just means that it's 'unlimited' - I have it, too, and I've posted attachments to the forum, before. :)

...but if there is indeed a hard limit of 256kB for an attachment, now, perhaps the text should be changed to reflect that.
But when I tried to upload an attachment it said I had uploaded a zero length file, and refused to accept it.

And in my profile, if I click on the attachemnts link, it says I have no options.

I will try to attach a small file to this message... it is a gzip of a text file rather than an image

Edit:: yes it worked, and I have now deleted it again.

So, yes I am confused (but happy).

I still wonder why I couldn't upload the same file the other day when I first tried? Guess I will never know. and I won't spend any more time wondering.....

Thank you all for your help, especially as it turns out all I needed to do was to "try it again"

River~~

WindUpToy

#17 Post by WindUpToy »

I have found that the file needs to be in the top level or root directory or nothing happens.
And NoScript must be off.
Strange forum this.

Makoto

#18 Post by Makoto »

Most (if not all) of the files I've attached, have been uploaded from the my-documents folder. :)

And, I do use NoScript, but I always white-list murga-linux.com (otherwise, it'll block things like the buttons in the forum's editor from working, among other things). I usually have to do something like that for phpBB forums.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

trueriver

#19 Post by trueriver »

trueriver wrote:And in my profile, if I click on the attachemnts link, it says I have no options.
and it still says I have "no options available"

So that is another thing that anyone else in my situation can safely ignore.

River~~

CatDude

#20 Post by CatDude »

Hi

The attached images shows the outcome of trying to post a 442K image.

What i find interesting is that now images wider than 600px display in the forum
without having to click on them. 8)

CatDude
Attachments
testing.png
this image is 800x381
(80.5 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]