Puppy Linux on a MK-802

Booting, installing, newbie
scaru

Puppy Linux on a MK-802

#1 Post by scaru »

Can anyone give me advice on setting up puppy linux on the MK-802? I have the second version of the MK-802.

So far I tried simply creating a bootable micro sd card for puppy linux, sadly when I plugged it into the MK-802 the screen just displayed a bunch of green lines. (I can get a picture of that if needed for some reason)

I've also tried a number of other versions of linux as I documented here. (On another forum)

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/18640

So what am I doing wrong? I'm guessing it is something fairly simple.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

MK802 is ARM based, not anything like your average desktop or laptop inside (which are usually x86).

You'll have to try to get PARM running -- but IIRC that's only really designed to work with the Pi.

Might check out Bodhi Linux, they might have an ARM port for the MK802, don't remember for sure tho.

scaru

#3 Post by scaru »

starhawk wrote:MK802 is ARM based, not anything like your average desktop or laptop inside (which are usually x86).

You'll have to try to get PARM running -- but IIRC that's only really designed to work with the Pi.

Might check out Bodhi Linux, they might have an ARM port for the MK802, don't remember for sure tho.
Thanks for the response, I'm currently downloading Puppi Sap which was also meant for the raspberry pi. Do you have a link to PARM?

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

IIRC, PARM is a general term for any Puppy that runs on ARM -- Puppi is it right now, I think.

Sorry, I'm not up on ARM stuff too much -- I have a very incompatible CX-01 Android Cloud Stick and that's it. (I refuse to use RasPi until they stick a VGA connector on there, as a matter of economics and principles.)

Here's the PARM page on the Puppy Wikka --> http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM

HTH.

scaru

#5 Post by scaru »

Just tired Puppi Sap which also didn't work, it just booted straight into android. :( Anyone else have any ideas?

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

scaru

#7 Post by scaru »

I already tried that one. :oops:

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

No idea, then. Sorry :oops:

Hopefully someone else will happen along and help out.

EDIT: did the one thing I could think of -- I've PMed Barry Kauler (username BarryK) who is the creator and head honcho developer of Puppy / Puppi. He's the one who makes the "official" Puppies.

Hopefully he'll have time to pop over here and help out.

scaru

#9 Post by scaru »

Ok, thanks for the help Starhawk!

mini-jaguar

#10 Post by mini-jaguar »

I don't know if it'll be of any help, but you can also try that Arch Linux derivative on the last page of the Raspberry Puppi thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=225

scaru

#11 Post by scaru »

mini-jaguar wrote:I don't know if it'll be of any help, but you can also try that Arch Linux derivative on the last page of the Raspberry Puppi thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=225
Ok thanks, my home server is downloading and unzipping that now so it will be waiting for me to burn onto a SD once I get home later tonight. :D

scaru

#12 Post by scaru »

scaru wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:I don't know if it'll be of any help, but you can also try that Arch Linux derivative on the last page of the Raspberry Puppi thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=225
Ok thanks, my home server is downloading and unzipping that now so it will be waiting for me to burn onto a SD once I get home later tonight. :D
Just tried that one and it booted straight into Android OS, not even a bunch of random green lines. :( Thanks for the suggestion though.

scaru

#13 Post by scaru »

Ok, just tried Puppy Linux when made via Unetbootin, that also did not work. It just booted straight into Android.

scaru

#14 Post by scaru »

Lubuntu via Unetbootin also didn't work, just booted straight into android. :(

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

scaru, do something for me --

Put that SD card into a computer running Puppy, and install PupPi on it, from the lilliputing article I linked to before.

Then, afterwards (make sure the SD card is not mounted!) open gparted. Select the SD card as the drive to look at. Right-click on the OS partition (if there's more than one) and select "manage flags" from the list.

Make sure there is a checkmark in the box next to "boot" in that dialog box. As in, if it's not checked, check it, but if it is checked, do nothing.

Close the box, close gparted, pull the card, and try again with your MK802.

If that little box isn't checked, then NOTHING will boot from it -- that's what tells the BIOS (etc) that it's a bootable disk!

scaru

#16 Post by scaru »

Ok, I will try that after I finish testing Bodhi Linux. So either later tonight or tomorrow, as always thanks for all the help.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

Glad I can -- help is what I'm here for! (mostly)

can8v

#18 Post by can8v »

Scaru, I would love to know if you ever got this working. I have been unable to get any linux distro to boot on my MK802A-1. I have tried the instructions at http://liliputing.com/2012/06/puppy-lin ... ni-pc.html and the instructions in Barry's readme.htm file. Barry's instructions create two partitions on the Micro SD card (FAT16 and EXT4). I have tried flagging both as bootable and just one or the other using G-Parted, but nothing seems to make this MK802A-1 boot into Linux. I have considered trying Cubieez RC2, but cannot get it to download. Anybody have any ideas?

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

can8v

#20 Post by can8v »

Thank you starhawk, not sure why I did not find that in my search.I will try this out today or tomorrow.
:D