SAKURA Console replace rxvt now!!! Puppy 3 maybe 4

Core libraries and systems
AirCon

Re: SAKURA Console replace rxvt now!!! Puppy 3 maybe 4

#41 Post by AirCon »

ttuuxxx wrote:
big_bass wrote: ttuuuuxx how do you make the transparent background ?
I 'd like to give that a try too
big_bass
like this
right click --> Otions --> Set Opacity Levels
untick -->Disable Opacity --> set to "0" or a bit higher to give it a glass kind of look
enjoy !!
ttuuxxx
Oh Dear!
Im probably being unbelievably thick but I still cant set transparency. Did all the above without success. I can change background colour and even apply a background picture but transparency doesnt seem to work for me.
Am I missing something here?
(Im running puppy 4.0 with icewm if this makes any difference.)

bambuko

#42 Post by bambuko »

alienjeff wrote:... We prefer that the core OS works flawlessly instead of masking it with layer upon layer upon layer of insulation and fluff...
hear, hear
I wouldn't normally bother to voice my opinion :? but since we are in such an apparent minority :cry: :
ttuuxxx wrote:... If you want eye candy which most of us do ...
I thought I register my vote against candy :P
I am all for a choice (as long as I am the one who is making it :wink: )

vovchik

#43 Post by vovchik »

Dear puppians,

We have heard the anti-eyecandy and pro-eyecandy arguments ad nauseum. I, for one, want a consistent desktop, and my gtk apps do this for me automatically. Being a stickler for UI consistency (and a stickler with regard to programming consistency, using functions in bash, for example and not spaghetti code, and preferring Modula to C++ in principle), I see everything "right" in promoting visual consistency for Puppy apps. I, for example, use a OSX-style interface, and go to great lengths to get QT3, QT4, java (swing with gtk), tk/tcl (with Gnocl), Wine (with an appropriate theme) and whatever else to look nearly identical. It's not that hard to achieve UI uniformity if your really want to. If you don't, that's also fine - but it's definitely not my cup of tea. As for Sakura, it meets the needs of most users for a terminal emulator, does it using very little in terms of memory and does it more attractively than good old rxvt. For that reason alone, it's an eminently suitable replacement.

As an aside, since I am a professional composer, I would be very dissatisfied if a desk, or one on a desk, of string players told me that he/she/they wished to play using his/her/their own intonation. I would sooner tell them either to play my way or not to play at all, since they would be ruining the performance. There is something to be said for collective unity in that instance and for consistency when it comes to the interface between a human and a machine, not to mention the less tangible aesthetic aspect. It is not visual "audacity" I am after (eye candy for eye candy's sake), but simple consistency. In all orchestral scores, woodwinds come first, followed by brass - French horns first - followed by non-tuned then tuned percussion (including piano, harp, marimba, vibraphone, etc.) and then the strings, the real guts of an orchestra. In Mozart's Requiem, for example, we get the normal orch. parts and then the trailing vocals, solo and SATB, in the standard editions. That is the way it is done, and that is the way ALL conductors expect it, conductors who have studied in conservatories in various countries and with various backgrounds. Do it any other way, and I can guarantee you the music you write will never be played - since it reflects a large degree of unprofessionalism and lack of formal training on the part of the composer. It is much the same with users and the UIs they confront from the "composers" of computer programs. If you can do it with proper fonts, antialiasing, GUI consistency etc., etc., then more power to you. And users will appreciate it.

With kind regards,
vovchik

greengeek

#44 Post by greengeek »

ttuuxxx wrote:Well lets just say Rxvt is nice in a simple way, It does its job very well, If you want eye candy which most of us do, Then Rxvt falls behind, kind of like if you want to go out to a night club for some drinks, Well lets see
-The first bar is called, "Club Rxvt"
it has drinks, bar, table and chairs and a few nice looking ladies. You spend your whole night setting back admiring the scenery and go home alone. :evil: THE END
-The second bar is called "Club SAKURA"
it has drinks, bar, table and chairs and a few nice looking ladies
But wait all of a sudden it has music and a dance floor with lasers and lights, The ladies get off their chairs and start bust'in a move.
You then get off your chair and start doing the grinding monkey dance.
Then you accidentally slip on a banana peel and fall on your butt. The ladies start to laugh and so do you, The tall blond bends over and and reaches out her hand to you. Meanwhile your face is red and blushing and the blond says "How Cute, your blushing, I like it when a Man is in touched with his inner feelings."
You then get up and dust your pants off as she walks away, Suddenly The blond yells out " Come over to my table."
You then strut your stride over to the blonds table where you spend hours talking and drinking. 3am rolls by and the Bar tender comes over to your table and says, "Ok its 3am time to go, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here."
The blond says to you thats ok we can always go back to my place for a night cap. Which you did without even giving it a second thought. What a great night indeed.
The next day you wake up and your not alone, The blond is laying beside you and you look over on the nightstand. A book of matches was setting on the table. you grab the matches and read the text, it says "SAKURA just what your Console Needed"
:-) Thanks for the chuckle. Good start to the day!