Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Which Puppy for an older computer?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
jakfish

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 06:09    Post_subject:  

@Dewbie: I run 4.32 on an ancient Sony Vaio Picturebook, one of those with the Crusoe processor. The processor may have something to do with it, though on my equally-ancient IBM Thinkpad 570 (PII-300Mhz), 4.32 works as well, and much faster.

I will try that firepup, thanks for the tip.

Jake
tommy

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 16:47    Post_subject:  

I suggest to use a barebones version of Puppy. I'm at this very moment writing this post on a acer 355 featuring Pentium non-mmx 133MHz, no L2 cache and 40MB ram. I run puppy barebones 2.01r2 on it. Your PC is faster than mine. You can add old Firefox 1.5 or Opera 9 to it, download at http://dotpups.de on puppy 1 and 2 section (dig into it to find other puppy 2.x stuff). Memory footprint is very little, but a swapfile is required, though! I use this old junk to connect remotely from home to work PC, using rdesktop and VNC through a ssh tunnel.

You can also try out Turbopup extreme, Akita (beta13 at present), 2.14R.
Good luck!
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 17:18    Post_subject:  

Heads-up -- TurboPup breaks when you try to change how it works or improve it. It works fine until you try to modify it, and then it makes a real mess on the carpet. (I've tried this.) Also, there is only one wallpaper setup that will ever work, and that's basic black.

Also, while ClassicPup will run, it's going to be incredibly slow because it's full of flashy special effects that bog down any processor.

FWIW, check out the "pUPnGO 2012 Plus Extras" thread in Puppy Projects here on the forum. I've got the FreeOffice version running on an old laptop with a 300MHz Pentium II CPU and 128MB RAM. Works great. Since Celeron's didn't come out until the Pentium II era anyways, you'll be OK (I can't guarantee that it'll run on a Pentium I or a K6-II or anything like that!).

circularL7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 20:03    Post_subject:  

Haha. You guys/gals are great. I finally have an excuse to buy all the old computer stuff that I thought were junk. Now that the '98 is running smoothly for all kinds of things that it has never done before, I'll have my eyes peeled for experiments.

I need an old printer, so I can print e-books. Very Happy
Dewbie

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 21:19    Post_subject:  

circularL7 wrote:
Quote:
Now that the '98 is running smoothly

Which Puppy version is it running?
circularL7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2013, 21:33    Post_subject:  

Dewbie wrote:
circularL7 wrote:
Quote:
Now that the '98 is running smoothly for all kinds of things that it has never done before

Which Puppy is it running with?

It's not. I read a page, perhaps on this forum, that noted the possibility of causing real trouble. My experience had become so rewarding in fun as I came to understand and experiment more that I wanted to slow down on my aspirations that seem more appropriate to people with more skill and just take it slow, like a hobby.

That project was much too big for me at this time. I'm taking a little time off from it to recuperate; I spent a lot of time researching and working on it this weekend while I should have been working on other stuff. Such is life.
Sky Aisling

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 03:51    Post_subject: Which Puppy for an older computer?
Sub_title: Type of Medium - Some older CD/DVD drives won't read new medium

Hi circularL7

Another thing to consider is that some older CD/DVD drives won't read new medium disks because of the type of plastic used.
The older medium disk material has a greenish tint to the plastic.
You can sorta see it if you hold the disk to the light and rotate the disk.

That may be the reason the $1 thrift store disk worked.
circularL7

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013, 19:05    Post_subject: Re: Which Puppy for an older computer?
Sub_title: Type of Medium - Some older CD/DVD drives won't read new medium

Sky Aisling wrote:
Hi circularL7

Another thing to consider is that some older CD/DVD drives won't read new medium disks because of the type of plastic used.
The older medium disk material has a greenish tint to the plastic.
You can sorta see it if you hold the disk to the light and rotate the disk.

That may be the reason the $1 thrift store disk worked.

Thanks. I had been guessing that, but it was only for the ISO that it didn't read. I downloaded a boatload of programs via the new ones.

During the last week, I've been changing RAM sticks and drives, all of which are garage sale finds. It's up to a cool 192 Megs of RAM, but I'm a little concerned that she kunt tek it; she'll be torn to bits. LOL. I have one stick without any form of ID, one stick that's marked PC 100, and one that's marked PC 133. Apparently, it's sensitive to the order of placement because it wouldn't boot under some orders.

A rather demoralizing experience has been noticing PC's that are exponentially more powerful going for $20 on Craig's, etc. However, she's been upgraded to handle thumb drives, so I'm going to take another run at Puppy but via USB. Blam!

I'll update you in a week or two.
Sky Aisling

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013, 19:20    Post_subject: Which Puppy for an older computer?
Sub_title: Swap File Necessary

Make sure you add a *swap* file like Dewbie suggests (on page 1 of this thread).
circularL7

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013, 20:40    Post_subject: Re: Which Puppy for an older computer?
Sub_title: Swap File Necessary

Sky Aisling wrote:
Make sure you add a *swap* file like Dewbie suggests (on page 1 of this thread).

Will do.
circularL7

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013, 21:03    Post_subject:  

Tell me if I understand this correctly: I can download a Puppy to my thumb drive, and I can download all my info to my thumb drive, and I can take my Puppy and all my data on my thumb drive and use it on any computer that I like?

Kind of like Keanu Reeves in that movie in which he stores info in his brain and plugs in wherever he likes?

And! If I understand what I'm doing with Puppy, I can modify it to be what is perfect for me and have this modified Puppy forever?
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 00:57    Post_subject:  

circularL7 wrote:
Tell me if I understand this correctly: I can download a Puppy to my thumb drive, and I can download all my info to my thumb drive, and I can take my Puppy and all my data on my thumb drive and use it on any computer that I like?

More or less, yes. Bear in mind there are LOTS of puppies, and they are optimised to suit different machines. So you may prefer to have several puppies on the one thumb drive - that way you are likely to find one of them will suit any machine you want.

Example - you might have puppy431 to suit 10 year old computers (if they boot from usb...), Wary5.3 to suit 5 year old computers, and two versions of a newer puppy for pretty new machines (Lots to choose from - Fatdog, Saluki, Lucid, Slacko, Precise...).

Newer machines may require a puppy with a "PAE" kernel or a "non PAE" kernel (depending on their design) - so that will have a bearing on which versions of Puppy you choose.

Puppy is a cut-down operating system so it is pretty hard for one single pup to drive every possible system perfectly.

You may also have to make a decision about how you format that thumb drive - FAT32 is likely to give you the best portability of data - but it might be best to format the drive with a boot partition in ext2, ext 3 or ext 4, and a separate partition in FAT32 for your data.

No doubt others will have good suggestions about the best way for you to set up the thumb drive. Theres' lots of puppies, and lots of different methods.
circularL7

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 18:21    Post_subject:  

It's incredible.
Yogi

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 19:19    Post_subject:  

This might help decide your choice:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84271
circularL7

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2013, 20:43    Post_subject:  

Yogi wrote:
This might help decide your choice:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84271

Thank you.

Would you, any of you, give me a link to a good set of directions for creating a shell and a set for creating a partition, both for Win 98? I've found some stuff, but I really don't know if I'm looking at good directions or not.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum