Precise Puppy 5.5 Release Candidate

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

I was going to try compiling an older cifs module for 5491, but I don't think that the kernel sources are posted anywhere.

linuxcbon

#62 Post by linuxcbon »

Precise puppy 5.4.90 :
- users and groups are still wrong for many files.
- /home should exist for adding new users.
- scripts and files could be simpler and follow "standards", the distro to follow would be "arch linux". One example is /etc/group which should look like :

Code: Select all

root:x:0:root
bin:x:1:root,bin,daemon
daemon:x:2:root,bin,daemon
sys:x:3:root,bin,adm
adm:x:4:root,adm,daemon
Another example : /usr/local/lib/X11 should be /usr/lib/X11

linuxcbon

#63 Post by linuxcbon »

Precise Puppy 5.4.90 :
- Files bigger than 10Mb

# find / -size +10M
/usr/lib/libLLVM-3.0.so.1
/usr/lib/libicudata.so.48.1.1
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/seamonkey-2.13.1/libxul.so
- Is LLVM needed ?
- Is ICU Data needed ?
- Is there a smaller replacement for seamonkey ?

jrb

#64 Post by jrb »

linuxcbon wrote:Precise Puppy 5.4.90 :
- Files bigger than 10Mb

# find / -size +10M
/usr/lib/libLLVM-3.0.so.1
/usr/lib/libicudata.so.48.1.1
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/seamonkey-2.13.1/libxul.so
- Is LLVM needed ?
- Is ICU Data needed ?
- Is there a smaller replacement for seamonkey ?

libgl1-mesa-dri_8.0.4|libgl1-mesa-dri|8.0.4|0ubuntu0.3|BuildingBlock|15818K|pool/main/m/mesa|libgl1-mesa-dri_8.0.4-0ubuntu0.3_i386.deb|+libc6&ge2.4,+libdrm-intel1&ge2.4.27,+libdrm-nouveau1a&ge2.4.23,+libdrm-radeon1&ge2.4.17,+libdrm2&ge2.4.3,+libexpat1&ge1.95.8,+libgcc1&ge4.1.1,+libllvm3.0,+libstdc++6&ge4.1.1|free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules|ubuntu|precise||
libicu-dev_4.8.1.1-3|libicu-dev|4.8.1.1-3||Utility;development|29118K|pool/main/i/icu|libicu-dev_4.8.1.1-3_i386.deb|+libicu48&eq4.8.1.1-3,+libc6-dev|Development files for International Components for Unicode|ubuntu|precise||
libicu48_4.8.1.1-3|libicu48|4.8.1.1-3||BuildingBlock|21674K|pool/main/i/icu|libicu48_4.8.1.1-3_i386.deb|+libc6&ge2.7,+libgcc1&ge4.1.1,+libstdc++6&ge4.2.1|International Components for Unicode|ubuntu|precise||

peebee

#65 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:My mistake. My Win7 shares work fine in YASSM, as does my NAS box. the problem is specific to my Samba-TNG server.

Maybe it's an smb1 vs smb2 issue.
I am running samba_full-3.6.1-s.sfs on my server if that is any help.....

and I have changed woofwoof to a specific password
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Ray MK

#66 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu
Ray MK. Yeah. Your broadcom BCM43225 would need wl or brcmsmac driver.

brcmsmac relies nowadays in bcma. So...when there is this:
CONFIG_BCMA is not set
and not this:
CONFIG_BCMA=m
CONFIG_BCMA_BLOCKIO=y
CONFIG_BCMA_HOST_PCI_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_BCMA_HOST_PCI=y

you wont see this selection as tickable option:
CONFIG_BRCMSMAC=m

and so the kernel wont have brcmsmac driver as module included.

So the 3.8 rc kernel does not have your needed brcmsmac driver and it has not the proprietary wl module either.
Thank you for your reply - at least I now know why, and hopefully it can be fixed soon.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

ASRI éducation

Email notification

#67 Post by ASRI éducation »

Puppy is comprehensive, practical, lightweight and efficient. This is obviously the OS that I use daily.

But I'm missing an essential application for my life easier: an email notification (icon located in the taskbar).

I use six differents email addresses and I can not find a free application that allows me to notify the presence of emails on these six addresses.

Would it be possible to provide for Precise Puppy a lightweight application that allows to notify emails found on different addresses?

Cordially

drblock2

Where are the devx and kernel sources?

#68 Post by drblock2 »

I've downloaded and installed Precise 5.4.9.1. It looks good, but I cannot test it properly without the devx and the kernel sources (kernel-3.8.0-rc7-nopae-i586). I have not been able to find them in the usual places.

I can confirm that pnethood and YASSM fail to connect to a Puppy machine (running Slacko 5.3.2.7), but do connect to a Windows XP share.

Hogweed

Re: Email notification

#69 Post by Hogweed »

ASRI éducation wrote:
Would it be possible to provide for Precise Puppy a lightweight application that allows to notify emails found on different addresses?

Cordially
What is wrong with the supplied Seamonkey's notifications (visual and/or audio)? You can easily configure multiple accounts as well. Admittedly SeaMonkey has to be running but it can just sit in the background if you are not browsing or emailing.

OscarTalks

#70 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello BarryK,

Just a little comment/suggestion if I may.

I always feel that the little Seamonkey icon (of which there are several instances) in the menu does not match most of the other icons in terms of graphics quality.

There are some nicer icons with different ones for the different Seamonkey components in /usr/lib/seamonkey*/chrome/icons/default and although they are .png files I was wondering if it might be possible to make use of them.

If so I feel it would greatly improve the look of the menu out of the box.
Oscar in England

Ray MK

#71 Post by Ray MK »

JFYI - Puppy 5.4.91 is working exremely well on my 10yr old Acer laptop. Really nice.

Manual frugal to ext3 partition and booting via grub4dos.
Fast, very low resource usage and temperature.

Everything seems to be working just fine OOTB.
(posting from it now)

Hardinfo report JFYI - but from this end on this machine, all seems good. Luvly Puppy.
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
(44.33 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

irishrm

#72 Post by irishrm »

ASRI éducation wrote:
[quote I use six differents email addresses and I can not find a free application that allows me to notify the presence of emails on these six addresses. [/quote]

If you are using gmail you can do the following:

Direct all your email addresses to gmail.
Install gmailtray from the thread below. (thanks to tasmod)

Once you have configured both you will have a tray icon which will tell you when you have new emails.
It will take a bit of work but works for me.
(doesn't work in fatdog)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58353

ETP

Drive icon issue with SD cards.

#73 Post by ETP »

I am curious as to why these are only ever displayed as USB icons rather than card icons.
Is this a hardware issue or a bug? - It seems to afflict Slacko as well as Precise.
It applies regardless of the theme being used. Here is an example:

sh-3.00# probedisk2
/dev/sda|drive|ATA SAMSUNG SSD 830 
/dev/sdb|usbdrv|Generic Flash HS-CF 
/dev/sdc|usbdrv|Generic Flash HS-MS/SD 
/dev/sdd|usbdrv|Generic Flash HS-SM 
/dev/sr0|optical|SONY DVD RW DW-G120A 
sh-3.00# blkid
/dev/loop1: UUID="f50f62c8-576a-4489-9b81-b520b97e44d3" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda1: UUID="9AD88DCED88DA8D9" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="SD-CARD" UUID="225A-B7FE" TYPE="vfat"
sh-3.00# 
Attachments
image-1.png
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

ASRI éducation

#74 Post by ASRI éducation »

@ Hogweed à irishrm
Thank you for your answers.
Hogweed wrote:
ASRI éducation wrote: Would it be possible to provide for Precise Puppy a lightweight application that allows to notify emails found on different addresses?
Cordially
What is wrong with the supplied Seamonkey's notifications (visual and/or audio)? You can easily configure multiple accounts as well. Admittedly SeaMonkey has to be running but it can just sit in the background if you are not browsing or emailing.
Nothing is wrong with Seamonkey, but with less powerful computers (that is the target of Puppy) Seamonkey is too resource intensive to be present in the background (it uses too much RAM).
I would find free application, lightweight and flexible, which can be viewed online my different email addresses, and then propose the deletion (to eliminate spam) or downloading (via Sylpheed, Seamonkey, & Co).

I confess, on my computer I sometimes run a virtual machine that includes my old installation (when I used Windows). It's a base XP that allows me to use my exotic devices : webcam, multifunction printers -function, etc.
This installation also includes one software that I had purchased in 2007 to view/sort my emails without needing to download them : Mail Washer http://www.mailwasher.net/
Will it ever be possible to benefit from a similar application on Linux?

irishrm wrote:...
If you are using gmail you can do the following...
Google does not need me to become the grand master of the web. I use the search engine, that is enough.
I prefer open source solutions ...

Cordialement,

don570

PupX

#75 Post by don570 »

PupX worked correctly to change the keyboard settings.

zigbert

#76 Post by zigbert »

Congrats - this is the first Precise (5.4.90) I can boot on my system!
Using the radeon.modeset=0 I get a vesa driver, and I am in...

phil666 reported on the forum that pMusic troubles in Precise. It plays ok, but calculation of time (current track-length status) fails. This because Precise is using libav instead of ffmpeg. I am not the one to decide what to use, but it would be good to hear your thoughts about this. It is basically NOT a problem to support both, but they are not equal, so the backend I use daily will be the only well tested solution. Atm, I am developing on Slacko which uses ffmpeg. As I see it, there are 3 temporary ways out of it.
1). Precise use libav and find another player.
2.) Precise use ffmpeg and use pMusic.
3.) Precise use libav, use pMusic, and I fix bugs reported by Precise users.
Later...
At first spot, this issue is because libav and ffmpeg has different format to stdout. It interferes with several functions - progressbar, trackinfo, db management, and probably more.... Hmmmm, no good. If you have a short development cycle on this release, I am not sure I can follow. New stuff needs testing as well.

Alsa
I have 2 soundcards, and the one I want to use is hw:1 (default is hw:0 set). So I run 'Multiple sound card wizard'. It fails in the last stage since retvol doesn't change to hw:1. This has been fixed for Slacko 5.4 by 01micko.

Mouse
As I wrote in the Slacko thread:
Puppy has a very aggressive mouse pointer. Its default acceleration is set to 2 with a threshold of 4. This will give me inflammation in my mouse arm, so in all these Puppy years I have set it to 1.2 (acceleration) and 13 (threshold). Well, I will not state what is correct, but how can a newbie find the setting? Is pupX set properties of X informative? - Doubt it. And I think it would be good with a link in the mouse/keyboard wizard. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the place a newbie would look.

Talking about menu descriptions, it may be worth to rethink 'JWM configuration' as well.

Sigmund

don570

#77 Post by don570 »

I prefer to install and use ShallowThought gtk theme by tuxtoo
Available
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 958#644958

bwh1969

Does/is ACPI supported in this version?

#78 Post by bwh1969 »

I have been using 5.4.3 and it doesn't seem to support acpi (lid close to suspend) events.

I modded the 5.4.3 and recompressed the sfs so that it has all my mods and programs so I am deciding whether to go this way or just stick with what I have for now.

artsown

#79 Post by artsown »

I've been using/testing 5491 for a couple of days now, and thought I'd
report the video situation here on four different old desktops. At first,
Precise only worked on one machine having a Nvidia PCI card. Two
machines having motherboard Intel video hardware usually work ok
on pups but not this pup. So went to the junk box and pulled out an old
S3 Savage PCI card and a ATI Radeon AGP slot card. Installing these
on two machines resulted in success. So three of my old pentium 4
desktops are running the latest Linux kernel rc7. Amazing! :)

I've reported to pemasu on a different thread that this latest kernel still
has the wireless bug where I must turn OFF power management on
wlan0. All pups I've tested starting with the 3.04 kernel have the bug.
I place a script in /root/startup having the single line:
iwconfig wlan0 power off
and SNS establishes connection immediately at startup. Otherwise,
connecting is almost impossible.

Otherwise, 5491 looks like the beginning of another super pup to me!

Art

Hogweed

#80 Post by Hogweed »

ASRI éducation wrote:@ Hogweed à irishrm

Nothing is wrong with Seamonkey, but with less powerful computers (that is the target of Puppy) Seamonkey is too resource intensive to be present in the background (it uses too much RAM).
One of my Puppy machines is a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 (400 Mhz Pentium 3, 192MB , 6 Gig disk) with touchscreen drivers fully working ( http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64937 ) so I'm not assuming a lot of resources. :-) With a swapfile for memory starved systems and prudent use of the time check intervals there's very little real overhead for background email checking. However I realise sometimes one person's "very little" is still too much in other situations..