Chromium browser version 27 - Feb 12, 2013

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
JamesTheAwesomeDude

Chromium browser version 27 - Feb 12, 2013

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Okay, because of my amazing awesomeness, I've decided to come out with an up-to-date, standalone, fully functional Chromium Dotpet. (Not Google Chrome.)

Compatible with everything from Lucid upwards. If it's not working, run from terminal, then open PPM and search for whatever lib it said it's missing. If you can't find it, post here and I'll try to help you out.

If you're using Racy, Wary, Saluki, or some other ancient distro, odds are very high this will not work for you. (Saluki might work. Maybe. No promises, though, and if you want a decent chance of success, be prepared to have to install some extra libs.) However, if you're running anything older than Lucid, I highly recommend upgrading your Puppy. Just back up all your files, wipe your current installation, and reinstall with something more modern. Odds are, you won't have to reach into your backups half as often as you expected. Reinstallations of Puppy don't tend to be as painful as reinstalling Windows, for example. If you truly can't part with your outdated OS (hardware requirements, for example,) then poke around the interwebs for a bit and see if you can dig up a copy of Chromium 12.

Anyway, I need feedback. Do you like it? Should I make more dotpets? I'm open to requests. I remember being a n00b and wishing that all software was easily available in Dotpet form, so now I'm helping provide that.

Download:
Chromium Version 27.0.1421.0
(http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98745514/Dotpets/Chromium/chromium-27.0.1421.0.pet)

SFS download here.

My release schedule is basically once every major version, or whenever there's something *truly* major that needs fixing.
Last edited by JamesTheAwesomeDude on Wed 27 Mar 2013, 03:23, edited 9 times in total.

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#2 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Hey... at the moment, everything's stored in /opt/chromium. I don't know that this is bad, per se, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm supposed to put the program somewhere else... If someone could enlighten me, I would much appreciate it.

Terryphi

#3 Post by Terryphi »

JamesTheAwesomeDude wrote:Hey... at the moment, everything's stored in /opt/chromium. I don't know that this is bad, per se, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm supposed to put the program somewhere else... If someone could enlighten me, I would much appreciate it.
I have not had time to test your pet yet but I will answer your question. In my opinion /opt is a good location even though it does not follow conventional Puppy practice. It does not interfere with anything else.

When you describe the Chromium pet as standalone does that mean you have included dependencies?
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

amigo

#4 Post by amigo »

/opt is the right place for it! Since it's pre-compiled that path is contained in the program, so if you tried to put it elsewhere it would not work.

canin

#5 Post by canin »

pity, not working in saluki.
starting from terminal, output is two missing libs

Code: Select all

# chromium
/opt/chromium/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium/chrome)
/opt/chromium/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium/chrome)
# 
these two werent in wary5 or saluki repos.
glibc highest version in repos is glibc-2.10.1-w5c

Terryphi

#6 Post by Terryphi »

canin wrote:pity, not working in saluki.
starting from terminal, output is two missing libs

Code: Select all

# chromium
/opt/chromium/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium/chrome)
/opt/chromium/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium/chrome)
# 
these two werent in wary5 or saluki repos.
glibc highest version in repos is glibc-2.10.1-w5c
Later Chromium versions have not worked for a long time in Racy, Wary and derivatives (Saluki) because of the old libraries. The last working version is probably Chromium 12 for which I produced an SFS package - see thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65802 .
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#7 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Lol, what's funny is that most of the downloaders are Firefox users. Next is Chrome/Chromium. After that, I've got a few Opera users, closely followed by IE. (Wat?) There were also a few Mac people (extra Wat...)

When I said it was standalone, I meant that everything needed to run it is included. I suppose that means all libraries are built-in.
I actually just repackaged the Chromium from http://download-chromium.appspot.com/ into a Dotpet (after some minimal tweaking to make it puppy-compatible.) It evidently includes all necessary files.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Well, for 5.2.8- 24.0.1312.56 ain't bad. Alex Shkop does nice <wink> work. You check Minecraft?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#9 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

Yeah, I actually use his repository for my Ubuntu installation. I normally don't care that much, but my favorite extension, ANTP, needs a more updated Chromium. (I think 23 minimum.)

And I've already bought Minecraft, so I don't need any "offline launchers" anymore :mrgreen:

:o Wow, somebody in Bulgaria downloaded this! 4 downloads form Japan so far...

slenkar

#10 Post by slenkar »

have you tried to get native client flash to work with it?

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

You mean Pepper?

slenkar

#12 Post by slenkar »

yes, it would be great for youtube

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Though it appears you can cheat, aboard Chromium it's a system plugin.

Why would you want this anyway.. Adobes`eleven series not working?

I'd probably hold the Pepper and try this first.

slenkar

#14 Post by slenkar »

im using 10.3 but it crashes a lot

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

And eleven's no good? Try this.

You :wink: hopefully.. know what to do with it.

MD5 >> 752733ba9f84d35609e9fea224703c9d

slenkar

#16 Post by slenkar »

thanks I got it working in chromium

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

You mean moi's Pepper? :lol: With the *AWESOME* pkg.. installed to /opt?

slenkar

#18 Post by slenkar »

yep, the playback on youtube is smooth, but takes up 10% more cpu than flash

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Slenkar- food for thought. You ever watch in HTML5?

JamesTheAwesomeDude

#20 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I'm using this Dotpet, plus the standard "Menu">"Internet">"GetFlash Install Flash Player", and everything is working fine. Precise 5.4.3.
What I did: installed this dotpet, installed Flash via GetFlash, then went to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, and the animation displayed. It said I was running version 11,2,202,270. If that's not working, try poking around in chrome://plugins and see if there's anything useful there.

I think that GetFlash installs the Adobe Flash plugin somewhere in ~/.SomethingOrOther; it's in a directory Firefox can use as well.