Skype 4.2 - NOW DEAD - KILLED BY MS

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
peebee

Skype 4.2 - NOW DEAD - KILLED BY MS

#1 Post by peebee »

THIS VERSION NO LONGER WORKS - MS HAVE CHANGED SKYPE AND KILLED ALL VERSIONS OTHER THAN 4.3

Download Skype 4.2.0.11 sfs from:

md5: df526530876319abd0b7deecfc4ff2e9 skype-4.2.0.11.sfs

Also needs (unless you are running a build like PhatSlacko where the QT libs are built-in) (courtesy of Pemasu):

1dd3f328cfc7bf6e5031f14af068c991 qt-4.8.2-stripped.sfs

Menu item under Internet

Tested to start successfully on Slacko 5.5, Precise 5.6.1, upup-Precise 3.8.3 and upup-Raring 3.8.7

Repackaging of:
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... /4.2.0.11/
Attachments
capture16609.png
(22.44 KiB) Downloaded 21488 times
Last edited by peebee on Mon 04 Aug 2014, 06:10, edited 4 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Working here peebee in slacko-5.4. :)

Slacko users are better off to get the native slacko QT libraries though from PPM. I'm not sure about 5.3x though, still probably better of with slacko versions.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#3 Post by mavrothal »

In my precise 5.4.3 it needed the original Ubuntu 12.04 Qt libs.
It showed an "incompatible lib version" with pemasu's Qt sfs.
Works fine :D
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#4 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick and Mavrothal

Many thanks for your interest and advice.

Mick - I suggested the pemasu sfs for the reason that it was an sfs and seemed to satisfy all the dependencies. I have to admit I'm not a PPM user - I prefer to download directly and to keep my pets and sfs's stored locally for future reuse. I did go into the PPM and was unable to find the QT libs....

Have you provided an equivalent QT sfs for Slacko? I couldn't find one by surfing the repositories directly.....

Mavrothal - I've retested on a pristine frugal install of Precise 5.4.3 and I don't see the problem you are reporting. As both Precise and Upup-Precise share the same base I wouldn't have expected there to be problems?

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rmcellig

Skype for lxpup

#5 Post by rmcellig »

I have lxpup 13.01. This is a new pup for me that I want to try out. I am used to using puppy 5.2.8.

Where can I download Skype? Do I just install it like a normal pet or do I have to do something else?

peebee

Re: Skype for lxpup

#6 Post by peebee »

rmcellig wrote:I have lxpup 13.01. This is a new pup for me that I want to try out. I am used to using puppy 5.2.8.

Where can I download Skype? Do I just install it like a normal pet or do I have to do something else?
The download link is in the top post - however it is an sfs not a pet - you can load sfs's by clicking on them or you can use the sfs-load-on-the-fly in the setup menu. The sfs needs to be stored either in the root directory of the disk or in the same directory that your frugal install is in. sfs do not work too well with live cds....

It is quite easy to convert an sfs to a pet if that is better for your installation.

Cheers
peebee

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks! I will try the sfs file and see how it goes. How do you convert an sfs file to a pet file?

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Why, with sfs2pet!

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Cool! Thanks Semme!

gilloraymondo

#10 Post by gilloraymondo »

Hi,

On precise NOP :
I cannot say it doesn't work , but I cannot say it works !!!!

It's possible to create a skype account, but it's impossible to connect with a messenger, hotmail or outlook account (right window side) !!!! And it's exactly what I need because MSN will be completly removed by microsoft soon. All MSN users are ask to migrate to skype....

So, I don't know how to do the transfer from MNS to skype....

Any idea ?

peebee

#11 Post by peebee »

gilloraymondo wrote:... it's impossible to connect with a messenger, hotmail or outlook account (right window side) !!!!
Hi

What kind of errors are you getting?

I'm afraid I don't have any of those MS accounts to test.....maybe somebody else does and can advise?

Cheers
peebee

gilloraymondo

#12 Post by gilloraymondo »

Hi,

On the right side of the skype window there is (in french for me) : connect with microsoft account, a messenger, hotmail or outlook.com account.

I clic on "compte microsoft" and I have a message (in french) "Internet is sometimes very slow. Please, verify your Interne conexion works corectly. Please, try again".

But, if I try again, it does the same thing.

Of course, my internet conexion work quite well (firefox working on the "google page"

On linux mint, as well as on windows, I installed skype 4.1 . When I clic on "compte microsoft", immediatly, I have the usual MSN window to write my login and my password....

Anybody knows what I should do ?

Thank you

futwerk

#13 Post by futwerk »

I have istalled skype 4.1 for precise puppy and have a weird problem with it. Video works well, sound from speakers works okay, except for the mic. I have tried to raise the volume of the mic but no difference. I am using a logitech c270 webcam with built in mic. I can hear the voice from the test call but not my recording with the mic ...Humm . Does someone have any idea ?
Attachments
skype1.jpg
(52.07 KiB) Downloaded 23057 times

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello futwerk,

Looks like your capture control in Retrovol is all the way down. Try bringing that up.

Not sure if there is another control if you scroll down to select your mic input from the webcam as your capture source?

The "mic" control is for playback of the mic through your own speakers, not for recording or capture so that probably wants to be down or unticked.

When you get the hang of your manual controls I would then untick the option in Skype to let Skype do it for you. Manual control is always better once you know what does what.
Oscar in England

futwerk

#15 Post by futwerk »

Thanks for the tip Oscartalks, I have followed your instructions also went back to skype options and changed the default mic option and than it worked, thanks again. Now I can enjoy it.

darkstrike

#16 Post by darkstrike »

With Microsoft forcing all MSN users to use Skype for messaging instead of Windows Live Messenger (I am hoping they will still allow 3rd party clients as I love Pidgin!), I figured it was time to update Skype on my Linux box as well.

I'm running the latest version of Lucid and downloaded this sfs and the qlib one as well. I converted both of them to .pet files using the sfs2pet converter program and installed both .pets, however, when I run Skype, I am getting an error that says "GLIBC_2.15 NOT FOUND" and Skype fails to launch....anybody have any suggestions? :(
[url=http://www.sigx.org/link.php][img]http://www.sigx.org/images/skin/Dark+Win+in+Orange/0/xdarkstrike.png[/img][/url]
[color=brown][b]In memory of the dogs I've loved...Molly and Farrah...[/b][/color]

peebee

#17 Post by peebee »

darkstrike wrote: when I run Skype, I am getting an error that says "GLIBC_2.15 NOT FOUND" and Skype fails to launch....anybody have any suggestions? :(
I would imagine it means that Lucid is now too old - can you perhaps install Precise - maybe as a frugall install?

Cheers
peebee

darkstrike

#18 Post by darkstrike »

Hi PeeBee,

Well, I have thought about updating to Puppy Precise in the last while, so I may have to give it a try! Currently I am running a full install of Lucid on a machine that is a little older (1.6ghz Pentium 4, 768mbs of RAM, 10gb HDD, 128mb Sapphire Radeon 9600XT video card), which is the computer I have been talking about, so I imagine it's that Lucid is too old, as you say...just thought I would see if anybody had any suggestions before I updated to Precise....it can be a bit of a faff to set back up all my programs and settings again! ;)

I also have another "tinker box" for Linux with similar stats, so I will have to try installing Precise on that as well (that machine is an 1.5ghz AMD AthlonXP 1800+, 512mbs of RAM, 10gb HDD, 64mb Nvidia Quadro2 Pro video card)...

AND, I've got a third machine (1.8ghz AMD AthlonXP 2500+, 1.5gbs RAM, 20gb HDD, 256mb ATi Radeon All-In-Wonder 9600 video card) waiting in the wings too once I find a case for the parts! :wink:
[url=http://www.sigx.org/link.php][img]http://www.sigx.org/images/skin/Dark+Win+in+Orange/0/xdarkstrike.png[/img][/url]
[color=brown][b]In memory of the dogs I've loved...Molly and Farrah...[/b][/color]

mow9902

#19 Post by mow9902 »

I run lucid 5.2.8 on two different laptops. Skype version 4.0 and 4.1 run well on both machines.

You have to dowload the static versions of the apps - simply download as a zipped file - unpack into a directory and use.

I believe that since MS took over skype they have stopped making the static versions available for download off their page. You might have to look around at various forum to see if you can find a static version.

I could zip up my version - but it is about a 47M file - so not sure that I should try to post it here.

Makoto

#20 Post by Makoto »

Is that what causes the...

Code: Select all

./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
...error, too?

Yeah, all that I could find aside from the distro-specific versions, on Skype's official download page, was the 'dynamic' version. No static version in sight (although a link to a somewhat older static v4 elsewhere on this forum still works...) :(
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).