No Wifi After Plugging Vodem (SOLVED, thanks)

BJF

No Wifi After Plugging Vodem (SOLVED, thanks)

#1 Post by BJF »

Jemimah's Puppeee 4.3.1 on an EeePC 701, Full, on its SSD.

Solid and responsive for years, the Wifi has changed since I attempted to connect it via a Vodem 3G dongle. I broke it. My home router is now seen, identified correctly, not passworded, a profile exists for it, the widget flashes briefly, the connection is shown as up, but no data will pass. Firefox can't find the server. Claws can't connect.
I'd wanted to extend my range a bit on the road and bought the Vodem as a solution. But I now realise that they are essentially another Winmodem and not Linux-friendly at all. I'll have to go back to hanging out at malls.
Could anyone point me please to what to do to reactivate the Wifi. Another distro run from an SD card and not Vodem-ed still connects faultlessly.

Thanks.
Last edited by BJF on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

What wifi device where you using before the Vodem 3G device?

Are you using Firsbee?

BJF

#3 Post by BJF »

It's the native, on-board, Atheros AR242x/AR542x Wireless Network Adapter. Sorry, should have said. It was working quite happily and connecting both to my router and to cafe wifi until something in a configuration file was altered by plugging the 3G stick in, its detection, and rejection. I'd like to avoid a re-install because it must be just correcting the alteration. If I knew what to do.

Thanks.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

A cheaper option is to buy an Android phone (I use a U8150 that I got from DSE for $50 on special) and turn on the "wireless hotspot" function. That way your PC can pickup the wifi from the Android, and the data is then sent through the cellphone system (3G).

I use this setup all round the north island, and my son uses a similar setup in the backblocks of rural northland and it works great. It also has the benefit that the android can be used to make phone calls and send texts (as they come free with the data topup...). Great emergency feature when your normal phone runs out of credit or gets dropped.

I reckon the T-sticks and Vodems are really just crippled cellphones without a keypad. There are some posts on this forum though about how to force such things to dial...

I will post back if i spot some.

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

In terms of finding out what went wrong, all I can suggest is this:

1) Make a copy of your current filesystem (or savefile)
2) Make a fresh install and get it to work with your wifi.
3) Make a copy of that "virgin" filesystem
4) Stick the vodem back in and let it screw up the new install
5) Compare the virgin install with the vodem'd one.

My guess is that the problem lies in Frisbee itself, so maybe an uninstall of Frisbee might remove a corrupted config file??

EDIT: I'm not running Puppeee so I can't pin down where the files are exactly, but if you look in the /etc/network-wizard directory do you see "network" and "wireless" directories? If you examine every file in those directories you may find some references to the vodem (it will have a "Mac" address which consists of a string of numbers like 0A:0E:12:43:4D:00 or something - each interface has a unique Mac).

It might be worth making a backup of those files (for later restoration if you want) and then removing all references to the vodem. Just leave the references to your inbuilt wired and wireless interfaces (you'll have to work out which mac is which interface).

I doubt the vodem software installed itself over the top of your Frisbee functionality - I suspect that Frisbee is simply hooked on the idea of using the vodem interface. Hopefully removing the vodem interface from those files will let Frisbee get on with life as it was.

EDIT again: Sorry, brain is a bit fuzzy today - in order to identify which mac addresses you have, type ifconfig into a console (with and without the vodem plugged in). In the directories that carry the netwrok interface data I mentioned you will probably find files that are named with the mac of the vodem. You should be safe to remove those whole files (keep a backup and note which file went where) as well as removing any entries written into the templates or other txt files you find in those directories.

BJF

#6 Post by BJF »

The story so far: Tried all the suggestions but no luck. Still no data passing through my router although it definitely sees it and connects. I tend to agree that it is fixated on that vodem and is corrupted somewhere that I can't find.
So I bit hard, and did a fresh Frugal install of Puppeee 4.4 which has Frisbee as the native connection app and really is Jemimah's magnum opus for EeePC 4G's. Thank you, Jemimah. Big hug!
And now I have the router connection back, and a whole lt more besides. But I'm not going near the Vodem again until I have some idea what I'm doing. A new thread..... I'll mark this solved.