Sudden Failure of Broadcom B43 wireless

Booting, installing, newbie
revbish

Sudden Failure of Broadcom B43 wireless

#1 Post by revbish »

I'm using a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop, running Preicse Puppy 5.4.2, for a couple of months now, frugal install, with no major problems. The couple of trivial "problems" I've had have been quickly solved here on the forum. Everything has worked really well until today. Last night, I shut down, per normal, nothing out of the ordinary happened. Then today when I booted up the wireless doesn't work! I noticed during the process of booting, the little wireless indicator light blinked a couple of times, like it was trying to come on, but then went out. Several more boot times resulted the same way. I booted up a disk of Wary Puppy and the wireless works fine. Something's been corrupted obviously, but what and how, is a complete mystery to me. I've moved it now to a location where I can use a wired connection, but I need to get back to wireless mode. Anyone have any ideas what happened, and how to fix this? Thanks for all help, past and future.
--Sincerely,
revbish

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

What tool did you use to connect to the wireless network?
ie Simple Network Setup, Network Wizard or Frisbee

does the command iwconfig show a wireless network?

revbish

#3 Post by revbish »

I used the SNS. Nothing out of the ordinary that's been working for a couple of months without a glitch of any kind. And yes, the network shows up very plainly. Like I said, Wary Puppy detected it right off and connected with no problem. Something's happened to my installation of Precise, but I have no idea what. Some file or ...??

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

I'm not sure which files SNS works on. I always use Frisbee.

If you think the Pup SaveFile may have been corrupted you can could boot into a different installation and use the e2fsck command. You need to do this from another install as the file should be mounted when you run the command-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/e2fsck

Also you can mount the Precise SaveFile from the other installation and see all the file s that have been modified compared to the base SFS file.