Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 01:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Install games and place in Menu > Fun
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
highway_man

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:07    Post subject:  Install games and place in Menu > Fun
Subject description: Running PET, TGZ, PUP files (and others)

Reference files are located here. Not required to answer e-mail.
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/linux/articles/36351.aspx
http://fph.altervista.org/prog/bastet.html
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES-ENTERTAINMENT/TBS/Gweled-3449.shtml

Added: Precise 5.4.2 (frugal) on AMD Athalon XP Processor 3000+ 798MHz 513Mb RAM

I am trying to install Galaga, Zaxxon, Bastet, and Gweled on Puppy Linux, but I don't know the next step(s) to take.

Galaga & Gweled extensions are TAR.GZ
Bastet extension is TGZ
Zaxxon extension is PUP

I have downloaded these and managed to place the in My Documents in Puppy Linux. Now the big question...How do I install and run these files?

TAR.GZ both appear to be zipped C/C++ files only because main.c is among the list. Now mind you, I only know enough to be dangerous. I have heard that Puppy might be fussy about where and how directories are structured. Any hints in that department will be well received.

Now...on to TGZ. It (Bastet-0.41) shows up in my Puppy Package Manager as an installed package. What is a TGZ file exctly? More importantly, how do I run it?
NOTE: Console -> # fixmenus didn't help

PUP files, according to the error message, are older PET files. I get the following error:
Quote:
PUP packages are an older package system superceded by PET packages. If you want to install a DotPup package, you must first run the PETget package manager (see install icon on desktop) and install the 'dodpuphandler' and 'puppybasic' PET packages.

When I go Install on my Desktop, I do not see PETget package manager. I didn't see it in the menu either - I looked, but could have missed it.
I also checked Puppy Package Manager for the 2 PET packages. I couldn't find those either.

SO...Any help to run any of these is much appreciated. I would also like to organize the icon(s) in the Menu > Fun location.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by highway_man on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 06:52; edited 1 time in total
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 00:08    Post subject:  

Without having to search- your Pup of choice?
muggins

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 05:19    Post subject:  

Here's a link for zaxxonrr repackaged as a pet:

http://205.196.123.14/t7h49zu4rehg/y1748avpmqb9wni/zaxxonrr-0.4.125.pet
Makoto

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 05:42    Post subject:  

.tgz archives are .tar.gz archives, just with a shorter extension.

Keep in mind that while .tar.gz archives are often source code archives, in my experience, they can, technically, hold anything - you'll find tar.gz/tgz archives out there containing compiled binaries, too.

Even though your package manager might have 'installed' the .tgz, it might still have been a source code archive, and the package manager just placed the source code files somewhere. Unfortunately, if the site or server you download the files from doesn't tell you whether or not it's a source code archive, the only way to tell is to browse the files within the archive.

Hope this helps, somewhat. I do tend to ramble. Smile

Semme

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb 2013, 07:10    Post subject:  

One more thing to keep in mind.. Pkgs *outside* the repo are generally a crapshoot.
Mercedes350se

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013, 00:30    Post subject: Re: Install games and place in Menu > Fun
Subject description: Running PET, TGZ, PUP files (and others)

highway_man wrote:

Quote:
PUP packages are an older package system superceded by PET packages. If you want to install a DotPup package, you must first run the PETget package manager (see install icon on desktop) and install the 'dotpuphandler' and 'puppybasic' PET packages.

Both pets are available here (Note the corrected name of one)

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-3/. They are for puppy version 3 but should work.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: