Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 18:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Simply, Teaching Puppy to SAMBA (share folders to LAN users)
Page 4 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2012, 19:12    Post subject:  

rmcellig wrote:
What am I doing wrong? I am using Puppy 528 in a Full install

sh-4.1# mkdir /srv/Downloads
mkdir: cannot create directory `/srv/Downloads': No such file or directory
This works in all Linux'es.
Code:
mkdir -p /srv/Downloads
it was mentioned in an earlier post.

Linux mkdir requires use of -p parm to create multi-level directories from current location.

Hope this helps

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2012, 09:46    Post subject:  

Since I have had cause to be working alot with Samba lately one thing was annoying me. No simple solution to map a network drive from a pup client.

This little script does just that and plonks an icon on the desktop, unmountable too. (only if you use rox as a desktop). It also puts a link in $HOME, in case you don't use rox desktop.

I made it mainly for myself but why not share?

You can run the script from wherever you want, also has a Startup item which has a 2 minute timeout. It only supports one share, use Pnethood if you want to mount more shares.

It has a very simple setup gui. Everything you need should be in recent Pups, (mount.cifs, nmblookup). No need for samba to use this from a client only machine. It automatically overlays all your current icon themes with the SMB logo and makes a new icon called drivesmb48.png. Try switching icon themes Cool .

Have fun!

EDIT: almost forgot, the smb logo! You must place it in /usr/share/icons or the script will die.
smb_overlay.png
 Description   put this in /usr/share/icons
 Filesize   1.16 KB
 Viewed   1122 Time(s)

smb_overlay.png

map_drive.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  map_drive.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.55 KB 
Downloaded  443 Time(s) 
netdrive.png
 Description   
 Filesize   25.81 KB
 Viewed   1151 Time(s)

netdrive.png

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2012, 16:34    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
Since I have had cause to be working alot with Samba lately one thing was annoying me. No simple solution to map a network drive from a pup client.

This little script does just that and plonks an icon on the desktop, unmountable too. (only if you use rox as a desktop). It also puts a link in $HOME, in case you don't use rox desktop.

I made it mainly for myself but why not share?

You can run the script from wherever you want, also has a Startup item which has a 2 minute timeout. It only supports one share, use Pnethood if you want to mount more shares.

It has a very simple setup gui. Everything you need should be in recent Pups, (mount.cifs, nmblookup). No need for samba to use this from a client only machine. It automatically overlays all your current icon themes with the SMB logo and makes a new icon called drivesmb48.png. Try switching icon themes Cool .

Have fun!

EDIT: almost forgot, the smb logo! You must place it in /usr/share/icons or the script will die.
Great.

Another idea: TaZoC's LH64b4. If you're still has his running, look at his OOTB smb.conf. There is mention in the Global section for use of simlinks and allowing LAN use of these.

I also believe that I "may" have simlinked using your SLACKO-SAMBA as well, but, I'll have to check when I'm home again on that.

Mind you, this relates to, say, using the Public folder in my "SAMBA Simple Management" widget to "extend" what is shared via that "common" locaton.

Hope this is in the same forest as your post.
SSM screen.png
 Description   SAMBA Simple Management Widget
 Filesize   36.68 KB
 Viewed   1097 Time(s)

SSM screen.png

evilbrent

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2012, 05:26    Post subject:  

Code:
# smbd -restart
# nmbd - restart

should be

Code:
# smbd - restart
# nmbd - restart

(space required before first "restart"??)

Thanks so much for this. Very easy to use. I was up and running almost straight away!
ahoppin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2013, 04:30    Post subject:  

Thanks to the contributors here, I was able to implement Samba on Puppy with ease. In contrast to several years ago when I tried to get Samba working on a Red Hat box - and failed miserably - this time the practical examples got me up and running in a short evening. I was even able to add my Windows users so my few remaining Windows boxes (Win98 and Win2k, nothing later) can log in automagically.

Part of what makes Puppy a success is the teamwork and camaraderie of this forum. Thanks again.

The only further issue that I'd like to see discussed here would be security. My router blocks smb requests from the Internet, so when I had a lot of Windows boxes, I never worried much about my privacy. Is there anything I should be concerned about with Samba?
perky

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2013, 19:49    Post subject:  

Opps, wrong thread. Sorry!
reycazador

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2014, 11:41    Post subject: Re: Simply, Teaching Puppy to SAMBA (share folders to LAN users)
Subject description: A Puppy-SAMBA server getting started experience

gcmartin wrote:
Digressing for a moment to “level set”, I begin by making this statement.
“ALL MICROSOFT MACHINES COME STANDARD AS LAN SERVER MACHINES. This means that they ALL have the ability to share stuff that they have with any other PC on the LAN. They are pre-built to work in a sharing community with other computers. When a machine has the ability to share something it has with its community, it is known as a “server”; so, whether you knew this or not, using Microsoft from Win95 to today, you have been running a server!”

Now that we understand this, we now know what I am referring to whenever you see the word “server”. The sole function of SAMBA is to allow your Puppy machine to implement sharing in a manner that you deem appropriate for how you want it to exist on your LAN. Now, that was a mouthful to simply say, SAMBA will let you share something on your LAN and SAMBA will go further by letting you MANAGE all kind of things on your LAN, beyond simply sharing something.

This document for Puppy users is ONLY going to get you started; "simply and easily".
It intends to get you a base understanding of what you have to do to begin sharing stuff you have with your community. I will make my Puppy share stuff the same as what my Windows PCs have been doing with each other over the years. It is not intended to address security or advance use. Simply, a starting point for anyone new to using Linux, to share folders same as Microsoft.

Some of you may find this a little too english language or elementary. But, I do NOT intend to be overly technical here. This document is aimed at simple Windows users who knows very little Linux, yet, this document may be found to be useful to long time Linux users, as well.

Let’s dive right in by starting with a Requirements definition.
  • Requirement: I want to share a folder of stuff with everyone on my LAN. For starters, I do not need to add additional users on the Puppy server other than the one(s) that come with Puppy. Finally, I am ignoring any security concerns at this point of testing SAMBA on my Puppy PCs. This will be addressed in the future.
  • Assumption1: That you are using Puppy 5.1.1
  • Assumption2: That you have already installed SAMBA 3.5.5 from either a PET or from an SFS on your Puppy.
Before starting our operation, there is 4 items of information that you must have answers to before beginning. Two of them are already answered for you and the other 2 YOU MUST DECIDE. My references here are mine and you should decide your own.

One Already Answered
The one that is already answered is the Workgroup name. Assuming you are on a LAN with Microsoft machines, they are “probably” all in the same workgroup. If not, you should put them in the same workgroup before starting this experience. Lets assume you/someone has changed Microsoft’s default workgroup name to “UseAWindowsGroup”. The workgroup name I will use for this example will be that very same name as the Windows PCs, namely “UseAWindowsGroup” for this Puppy SAMBA server to belong to.

Another Already Answered
Your Puppy 5.1.1 username and password is “root” and “woofwoof”

What are the other 2 YOU MUST DECIDE
  1. YOU must decide what the name you want your PC to be known as, on your LAN.
  2. And, YOU must decide what you want to share.
    I want this PC to be known to all the other machines as “NewPuppy” and I want to share a folder on this system named “Downloads”.
Open a Terminal Window on your Puppy
To make these things happen, we must start a terminal session by clicking “Console” on the Puppy desktop. (Another way to open a console from your desktop is to click Menu > Utility > click the item that says “terminal emulator” or “console”.
I will use the 4 items in reverse order. So first, I will create the Downloads folder that I want to share and set its rights so that everyone can see it and write to it.
Code:
# mkdir /srv/Downloads
# chmod 1766 /srv/Downloads
Next, since I want everyone on the LAN to know this PC’s name as NewPuppy, I need to tell Linux to set that to be my hostname. (By the way, EVERY LAN machine needs a unique hostname. Therefore, for example, you should NEVER have 2 machines whose name is "puppypc")
Code:
# hostname NewPuppy
Install SAMBA on your Puppy
I am assuming that you have either already install the SAMBA SFS or, if using the LiveCD like me, you have installed the SAMBA PET(Using LiveCD; if you installed the PET, DO NOT REBOOT. There is no need to reboot to begin sharing stuff using SAMBA).

Configure SAMBA for a simple test
SAMBA requires a configuration file. To get SAMBA to do what I want it to do, I will do 2 things: I will tell it what to do via its configuration file. Then I will run a test program to check if I made errors in telling it what to do.
SAMBA has one and ONLY one configuration file for EVERYTHING. It is the smb.conf and on my Puppy system, this is found in /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf. We are going to backup the one that’s there, create our own, and test it.
Code:
# mv  /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf  /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.1st.backup
# leafpad /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf

(Enter or type the following 12 lines into the screen and save it)

# All SAMBA configurations have a global piece AND it has piece(s) called shares
# Global Parameters describes this PC’s behavior, overall.
[global]
workgroup = UseAWindowsGroup
server string = %h is a NAS (Test)

# Sharing Parameters tell what items this PC shares out to the LAN
[Downloads]
path = /srv/Downloads
comment = A Central Download folder for all to use
writeable = true
guest ok = Yes
(NOW SAVE THIS!)

Next, lets test it for errors.
Code:
# testparm
You will know if you had errors.

Otherwise, we are now ready to put SAMBA to work. Let’s do it:
Code:
# smbd restart
# nmbd restart
Your Puppy is now sharing the “/Download” with anyone who wants to use it on your LAN.

Let’s add an empty file into that Download folder
Code:
# touch /srv/Downloads/test-file.txt
Final step: Tell SAMBA you are a valid SAMBA user
This is done via SAMBA tool, smbpasswd. For MY Puppy system I will tell SAMBA to add a user named root and I will give it the same password as I use in Puppy....woofwoof. This is done in the terminal window by typing:
Code:
# smbpasswd -L -a root
You can, now, go to ANY Windows PC’s desktop and see your NewPuppy on your LAN. On Windows, open your My Network Places and you will find your SAMBA Puppy there with the name NewPuppy. And if you double-click it, you will see the “test-file.txt” file we put there.

As I said earlier, these are my names that were used. You should choose names that you like for your Puppy PC that is going to share information with the LAN community.

Personally, I’ve done this kind of thing with each Puppy I run on my LAN; i.e. install SAMBA on each with unique hostnames. Now, all of my Puppies can share and use stuff, same as all my Windows PCs can.

You (and I) have met the original requirement. Congratulations....WOOF WOOF!

To recap:
  • The Windows Workgroup that my Puppy joined is “UseAWindowsGroup”
  • My Puppy PCs name is “NewPuppy"
  • The folder I want to share with my LAN community “/Download”
  • My valid Puppy SAMBA username is “root” and password is “woofwoof”
  • We told SAMBA using the above items ‘what to do for this PC’.
Note1: While on any other LAN PC and trying to connect to this Puppy, I always give the username root and the password woofwoof.
Note2: This example uses /srv/Downloads because, according to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), “/srv” is where site-specific data should be served. Technically Samba shares can be placed anywhere on the filesystem as long as the permissions are correct, but adhering to standards is recommended.

(Thanks goes out to Mobeus for the contribution that he made while under a severe time-crunch and pressure from his full-time job. He has been the inspiration as he saw the need and helped all of us by addressing it. And also to Shinobar, for his work as well, for addressing this need for all of us.)

Excellent post, I finally managed to share a folder with my PupLin system as server. My only remaining question is about the smbpsswd. Is it possible to change it to any password, if so, how? Will changing the root password change the network password too?
Thanks people.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2014, 14:09    Post subject:  

You can add or change password(s) or any user you define. If you have never set up the user before, you would do an add.
Code:
# smbpasswd -a firsttimeusername
If its an existing user that you had added before there is no need to add.
Code:
# smbpasswd

If you have not already done so, one option for the very 1st time is to set your root system password to be your SAMBA root password. Assuming you are using a standard Puppy where you are the root user, I do this with ONLY this command (exactly as you see it):
Code:
# smbpasswd -a
There is much information on the Internet as most everyone uses it in distro releases.

A Google such on any topic will also net you an abundance of useful ideas.

Here to help

slavvo67

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 18:44    Post subject:  

GCMartin:

This is a good post but before I try it...

Are those original presumptions still valid or can we be using a newer puppy and/or Samba? I see your original post is a bit dated, now.

Best,

Slavvo67
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 20:02    Post subject:  

Hello @Slavvo67

There is a newer thread. Which distro are you working?

slavvo67

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 20:17    Post subject:  

Fluxpup. In the words of OldYeller "FluxPup 1.5.1 is 185mb kernel is 3.2.48-nopae-i486-f2fs-aufs-smp-isa-precise. 1 correction, I also have the PAE on one machine.

I'm not sure if it has Samba installed, already. It should.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 21:01    Post subject: 2014 Full-SAMBA and Instructions  

I don't believe so. And, SAMBA V4.x is the very latest as it includes newer LAN protocols than the older SAMBA's V3 found on the forum, in many PUP distros, do not include.There is no particular reason for this except merely oversight. 01Micko has made his SAMBA V4 PETs available to any developer upon request. His version have a builtin Menu utility to insure easy simple SAMBA use (and understanding) when installed on any PUP.

These new protocols have been built into newer manufactured devices and have been built-into MACs and Windows for sharing for years before SAMBA V4.

The other thread is here. See this thread for some more accurate information of SAMBA distros use in Puppyland.

I have been given a 2014 Full-SAMBA PET here for 32bit Slacko users[img][/img]

Page 4 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: