Boxpup 4.1.2 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
redandwhitestripes

Re: calendar

#121 Post by redandwhitestripes »

gray wrote:@redandwhitestripes

In the filemanager make sure the show hidden files option is ticked in the View menu. Then use mousepad to edit the .xinitrc file in the root directory. At the bottom comment out the lines for xonclock and the conky calendar.

#conky -c /etc/conky/rc_cal &
[ -e /root/.conky_sw ] && /etc/conky/conky_start &
#xonclock &
Thanks Gray. One final question - sorry if it's already been asked, a quick scan of teh thread didn't show it - how do you add keyboard shortcuts?

I tried to edit the file:///root/.config/openbox/rc.xml
file but the shorctuts didn't work.

This is what I entered:

Code: Select all

<keybind key="W-t">
      <action name="Execute">

<command>aterm</command>
      </action>

</keybind>
I probably did something wrong.

redandwhitestripes

#122 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Scratch that. I got it to work by editing the same file with this entry to run aterm with the "super" key and "t"

Code: Select all

<keybind key="W-t">

<action name="Execute"><execute>aterm</execute></action>
 </keybind>

Unhban

#123 Post by Unhban »

Hi! I've put BoxPup on an old PC and it's brilliant. It runs great, but the PC will be handed over to a friend to get him on the net and he's a technophobe. Is there a way a splash screen can be added so he won't see the technobabble rippling through on boot-up? I know if he sees that it'll put him off!

Unh.
PS. am using 4.1.2 as it seems faster than 4.1.3?

wosifat

#124 Post by wosifat »

PS. am using 4.1.2 as it seems faster than 4.1.3?
I think I maybe notice, but I'm not sure. I notice that the ISO is bigger. But what are the differences in the various versions of Boxpup? If 4.1.3 is indeed slower, I may go back to the original (shipping with the blue bubble background.)

Q5sys

#125 Post by Q5sys »

I know this is an old thread, but somebody out there might still be reading it. Where the drives show on the desktop, are those loading into a wbar bar, or are they loading with some other dock type bar?

EDIT:
Ok so I figured out that its the vbar program thats under /etc/hotbar/hdbar
But that leads me to my next question. What allows it to auto update itself as new drives are plugged into a system? There has to be something somewhere that edits the hdbar file.

Ive posted this in the Boxpup431 thread as well since its a newer version.

`f00

#126 Post by `f00 »

boxpup is a classic - was just using bp413 the other day.. yes, an old thread but vbar is an interesting case in how it's used as a mount-utility/status-display convenience.

Anyhow .. if you use htop, you'll see some transient lines which seem to indicate that puppy's eventmanager(?) is polling drives/fs for new stuff (I think it's the frontend thingie and by some method it pops up the plugged-in drive or disc in vbar .. running down how it does it is another story, some parts of which you detailed in your other post in the bp431 thread).

It works fine but it's a little different to use than the 'usual' rox/desktop-driveicons deal in stock pups - a nice benefit is that it works in other window managers (since vbar is a close cousin of wbar) and does not need a rox pinboard ( :lol: , it even works in afterstep, wmx and so on¹ with no need to call up a 'life support system' like the roxpin for a mount-utility/status-display convenience).

Funny - I added rox (as well as xfe) since I'm not real wild about thunar but never did get around to adding jwm 'proper' (even though a few parts of it are still in bp) as a functional wm.

¹.. a minor point with enlightenment, it can help to set wbar/vbar to -above-desk (so they will display on the other/secondary,etc of e's somewhat different desktop setup)

Q5sys

#127 Post by Q5sys »

Anyone have a copy of this ISO? I have a copy of the 431 iso, but not the 412.
If anyone has it... please let me know. I've been searching for it for a few months now.

Colonel Panic

#128 Post by Colonel Panic »

Q5sys wrote:Anyone have a copy of this ISO? I have a copy of the 431 iso, but not the 412.
If anyone has it... please let me know. I've been searching for it for a few months now.
I've had a look and AFAIK it's only on the paid for download sites.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Q5sys

#129 Post by Q5sys »

Colonel Panic wrote:
Q5sys wrote:Anyone have a copy of this ISO? I have a copy of the 431 iso, but not the 412.
I've had a look and AFAIK it's only on the paid for download sites.
Well do you have any of those links? I might know someone with an account there that can grab it for me.

Marv

#130 Post by Marv »

I have a remastered 412 that is actually in daily use by 2 of my 'clients' but can't find my original. The remaster has a patched initrd so that pupmode is correct for ide flash media and the main sfs has opera 1152 and a customized wbar etc. It runs very very well on older kit. If you want it I'll strip the email etc and have a go at uploading it. Sorry no original.

Edit: What about sending a PM to grey? It's his baby and he is still active on the forum.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

James C

#131 Post by James C »

Uploading Boxpup 412 as I'm posting.Link as soon as upload is complete.

md5 0672d60bad8914c4dd1be32185bb8562

link http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/uploads/ ... boxpup.iso

Q5sys

#132 Post by Q5sys »

Marv wrote:
I have a remastered 412 that is actually in daily use by 2 of my 'clients' but can't find my original. The remaster has a patched initrd so that pupmode is correct for ide flash media and the main sfs has opera 1152 and a customized wbar etc. It runs very very well on older kit. If you want it I'll strip the email etc and have a go at uploading it. Sorry no original.

Edit: What about sending a PM to grey? It's his baby and he is still active on the forum.
I try not to bother with PM'ing devs unless I have a pressing issue. Becuase I dont want to spam peoples inboxes. There are people here who will send massive amounts of PMs, which mostly are unwelcomed. (speaking for myself).
I'd rather not end up in that group.
If he monitors active in his posts, then he'll see this thread pop up and if he wants to comment, he will.
James C wrote:
Uploading Boxpup 412 as I'm posting.Link as soon as upload is complete.

md5 0672d60bad8914c4dd1be32185bb8562

link http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/uploads/ ... boxpup.iso
Thanks alot JamesC! I cant wait.

Colonel Panic

#133 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've not long installed BoxPup 412 to my hard drive; it's still "an oldie and a goodie." I may check out the 412 repository soon.

Thanks for all your hard work anyway.

Cheers,

CP .
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 07:29, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

musher0

#134 Post by musher0 »

Yeah, that BoxPup 4.12 was a little jewel! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)