Precise Puppy 5.4.3 file sharing (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
rmcellig

Precise Puppy 5.4.3 file sharing (SOLVED)

#1 Post by rmcellig »

Why is it when it comes to Puppy, I always have a hard time setting up a Samba server. I have come to the conclusion that it is me. I can see all my shares using Pnethood. No problem there. But, when I want to set up multiple shares on my computer, this is where I am stuck. I know about the smb.conf file and that it is pretty straight forward to set up.

I think my problem is, what do I install to get the Samba server working? Samba-Full 3.6.1, Samba-Tng... When I go into the Puppy Package manager I don't see Samba-Full or Samba -TNG. Bottom line, what do I need to install and how do I set up multiple shares so that no matter which flavor of Puppy I use, I will know once and for all how to setup multiple shares using Samba.

I have Slacko 5.4, Saluki 0.23 and Precise Puppy all frugal installed on my computer. There must be a basic Samba install I can use and configure what will work in different versions of Puppy?

Thanks again for the assistance!! Really appreciated!
Last edited by rmcellig on Tue 19 Feb 2013, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Precise Puppy 5.4.3 file sharing

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

rmcellig wrote:There must be a basic Samba install I can use and configure what will work in different versions of Puppy?
I gave you a link to Samba-TNG here.

I installed it into Precise 543 and had a working share in about 30 seconds.

Samba-TNG works in every Puppy I have tested.

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

OK. I will try Samba-TNG again.

I just get confused with all that is out there regarding Samba. So from now on I will use Samba-TNG.

Thanks!