[solved] Toshiba Satellite - no keyboard in Precise Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
antilet

[solved] Toshiba Satellite - no keyboard in Precise Puppy

#1 Post by antilet »

On my laptop most linux start only with addional bootparameters (look at my sig) but then they work fine. Except Precise it starts with my set of kernelparams and then I can use it - but only with the touchpad, the keyboard is dead.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry for my poor english... :)
Last edited by antilet on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

antilet

#2 Post by antilet »

No one - any idea?
:(
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

ozsouth

Keyboard wizard

#3 Post by ozsouth »

Have you tried the keyboard wizard (in setup menu)?
If not fixed, try a default bootup with no extra parameters.

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

antilet wrote:No one - any idea?
:(
My Satellite M35 has the same specs as your machine.
It's disassembled at the moment, but I'll put it back together
today and try Precise on it.
Which version of Precise are you using?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

antilet

#5 Post by antilet »

thanks for your replies.

@ozsouth: yes, even with pfix=nox -> no keyboard. If I start puppy without the boot-parameters it wouldnt start. I tried this alredy.

@rjbrewer: Presice 5.4.3
Do you have problems with other Puppys too? And use a set of boot-parameters? Otherwise we have different hardware.

Maybe I should explain the probs a bit more:
At the moment I positive know of 2 Puppys which start at my laptop without problems (archpuppy, slacko 533). All others only start proper with the mentioned kernel-params. According to a post in a #!-forum my laptop or linux has some trouble with the touchpad. I'm happy to get this sorted out.
But Precise have further problems: the keyboard issue and if i switch the laptop off, it hangs. It refuses to start. No bios, no screen-blink - nothing - until i remove the batterypack. What is so different ? I'm realy confused...
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

8-bit

#6 Post by 8-bit »

It is funny that you should mention the restart problem after shutting down.
I had bought my wife a used Toshiba Tecra laptop with ram upgraded to 1 gig by me.
It runs Windows XP Pro.
Anyway, if she leaves it on and it goes into suspend mode or maybe a bad shutdown, it refuses to boot or respond to the power button until I remove and replace the battery.
Also, the battery charge LED is flashing yellow when I have to go through those steps.
She normally does not remove the AC power adapter.
From what I have read though, that flashing LED indicates a charging/battery problem.

If instead, the laptop has went into suspend mode, how does one wake the laptop?

rjbrewer

#7 Post by rjbrewer »

You have to be precise about the version of Precise
you are trying to use.

You have a Pentium M processor with 400mhz front side
bus.
It is not possible to boot a standard Precise with PAE
kernel on that machine.

Retro Precise might work.

Full installs

antilet

#8 Post by antilet »

rjbrewer wrote:It is not possible to boot a standard Precise with PAE
kernel on that machine.
You are right with my machine, but I think PAE is not the problem.
I think I downloaded precise from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4.3/

I tried the first ArchPuppy and got immedetly at boot a message, about PAE an the boot was aborded.
Precise boots 'visually' well and as long as I only need the mouse (touchpad) I can use Precise - only the keyboard is not working (and the 'hard' shutdown causes problems)

rjbrewer

#9 Post by rjbrewer »

antilet wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:It is not possible to boot a standard Precise with PAE
kernel on that machine.
You are right with my machine, but I think PAE is not the problem.
I think I downloaded precise from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4.3/

I tried the first ArchPuppy and got immedetly at boot a message, about PAE an the boot was aborded.
Precise boots 'visually' well and as long as I only need the mouse (touchpad) I can use Precise - only the keyboard is not working (and the 'hard' shutdown causes problems)
No! You are not running that version of Precise on that
machine.

Try Wary 5.3.

I never need special boot parameters on my Pentium M
machines.

Full installs

antilet

#10 Post by antilet »

rjbrewer wrote:No! You are not running that version of Precise on that
machine ... I never need special boot parameters on my Pentium M
machines.
I'll try to make a screenshot :)
The boot-parameters are not nessesary for the Pentium M but for the touchpad (look here)

rjbrewer

#11 Post by rjbrewer »

antilet wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:No! You are not running that version of Precise on that
machine ... I never need special boot parameters on my Pentium M
machines.
I'll try to make a screenshot :)
The boot-parameters are not nessesary for the Pentium M but for the touchpad (look here)
Plug in a mouse.

Full installs

antilet

#12 Post by antilet »

Same prob with retroprecise... :(

antilet

#13 Post by antilet »

Yesterday I tried without any boot parameters with Precise-Retro: Freeze (Like in other distros without my special boot parameters)

This is really weird.
Slacko and ArchPup (nonPAE) run without any boot parameters.
Most other Puppys I've tried so far, run fine with mentioned parameters.
Only the one I'd like to use (because of it great repo) won't work. :( :evil:

If I try a fresh frugal - even the text-dialog to choose the lang-details isn't working.
Is there any log, where I can find details - with which the experts here may help me ???

antilet

#14 Post by antilet »

Finaly i got it i added i8042.unlock to my set of boot parameters...