Precise Puppy 5.4.3 - Boot from CD and barking never stops

Using applications, configuring, problems
kjacobs

Precise Puppy 5.4.3 - Boot from CD and barking never stops

#1 Post by kjacobs »

I have been trying to run the live cd for precise puppy 5.4.3 on my toshiba satellite (presently running xubuntu 11.10 just fine). Everytime the computer boots up the dog starts barking and never stops....LOL. While the dog bark is cute....it gets old pretty quickly......

Any ideas how to stop this?

Ken

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Yeah. Boot Slacko or Lucid. Yes, I understand it may not be the response you were hoping for..

kurtdriver

#3 Post by kurtdriver »

Barking? I haven't heard it from either a USB key nor the hard drive.

It is a file, /usr/share/audio/bark.au, you could move it to bark.au.bak and see what happens. Or replace it with you preferred sound. Strange that I haven't heard it, Google shows http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy//viewt ... e4c335ba55 someone else wants to prolong it.

kjacobs

#4 Post by kjacobs »

Thanks....I did not think about going back and trying Lucid. Just found it odd that it started barking as soon as it booted up and would not stop. I have heard it normally bark a couple times and that is it with other machines....so the barking hang was most "interesting".

Will try Lucid as I have that on CD someplace too.....thanks.

Ken

L18L

barking never stops

#5 Post by L18L »

kurtdriver wrote:...It is a file, /usr/share/audio/bark.au, you could move it to bark.au.bak and see what happens...
Maybe it is 2barks.au

Yes, rename it.
Attachments
2barks.png
(27.33 KiB) Downloaded 478 times

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Now how about that? Some things you'd just never know having not faced the problem yourself.

kjacobs

#7 Post by kjacobs »

Now look at that! LOL. Never would have looked there. Guess I will try again.....thanks for the replies!

Ken

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

Open /usr/sbin/delayedrun in a text editor. You will see the line where 2barks.au is executed. Just comment-out that line.

You will notice that there is a line in that script to kill 'aplay' after three seconds, but I commented it out.
I don't recall exactly why I commented out the "killall aplay", perhaps I thought that the problem you are having is no longer an issue with recent versions of kernel and alsa.
Perhaps I should reintroduce the killall.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

kjacobs

#9 Post by kjacobs »

Thanks for the info Barry,

I was able to load up the 5.4.3 on the Toshiba Satellite A105-S2716 and click the button to stop the barking. However, I then discovered I could not connect to the wireless network running WPA security. Puppy found the wireless card fine.....no matter how many different ways I tried, could not get the wireless connection to happen.

Then for a test, I loaded the Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 CD (which I also have) onto the Satellite....no barking problem and WPA wireless worked immediately.

Is there something different between the the 2 versions on how WPA is handled???

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

PM option..

tytower

#11 Post by tytower »

Semme wrote:PM option..
What does that mean please Semme?