GTalk plugin updated
    Clementine removed and replaced with Audacious again
    PupSnap default settings adjusted
    New default GTK, Openbox, and Rox themes
Bug Fixes
  • Black screen bug with Rox themer fixed
    Executable permissions fixed
    "Open With" icons in Rox fixed
Please report any bugs or questions here. Thank you :)

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, sheepy.

Problem with any GTK or openbox theme that's not black or dark: character set colour remains white or white-ish, in other words unreadable. Poor user...

Otherwise looks good, great concept, but... funny how a little detail like that can spoil months of work, eh? :roll:

Please provide a way to change the font colour, and your implementation will be really great.

Also, there seems to be no easy way to mount drives on your distro. Access to pmount is not intuitive, as from a menu.

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

sheepy

#3 Post by sheepy »

musher0 wrote:Hello, sheepy.

Problem with any GTK or openbox theme that's not black or dark: character set colour remains white or white-ish, in other words unreadable. Poor user...

Otherwise looks good, great concept, but... funny how a little detail like that can spoil months of work, eh? :roll:

Please provide a way to change the font colour, and your implementation will be really great.

Also, there seems to be no easy way to mount drives on your distro. Access to pmount is not intuitive, as from a menu.

Best regards.
Hello,
Thanks for notifying me, I will fix that in the next version. :D To change the font color in Rox, right-click any blank space, choose "options," then "colours."

You are right there there is not a fast enough method of mounting drives! The quickest way is by opening PupControl, where it is located at the bottom. I have been contemplating adding pmount to the main menu for a while now. Hmm, I may very well do so in the next version, thank you!

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Sheepy - I'm considering loading the gtk-youtube downloader mentioned here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
Which one of those versions would be suitable for 3.7 (what repo is it based on please?)
Also, is this idea possibly redundant? Is there already something similar already installed in 3.7 that you use to find/download YT stuff?
cheers

EDIT I decided the lupu one was the correct one and have loaded it - but I can't find it in a menu anywhere. Any suggestions?
Last edited by greengeek on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:Also, there seems to be no easy way to mount drives on your distro. Access to pmount is not intuitive, as from a menu.
The mounting difficulty was fustrating for me too, so I placed sunburnt's "mnt_all" script in the /root/startup folder (and renamed it to "Zmnt_all" so it would run after anything else that was already programmed in Startup). Works well, so that now filesave dialogs can immediately find all drives premounted. (and I just rightclick the desktop and select filemanager to find anything else I am looking for). Maybe not as elegant as an icon on the desktop - but hey, I am enjoying the crisp icon-free look.

(and I just found out that I can set up browser bookmarks to the mounted drives as in this example:

Code: Select all

file:///mnt/sda2
That way once I'm in the browser I can just open another tab to do my local hardrive filebrowsing and not even use the normal filemanager)

Here is the script:

#!/bin/sh
#########	This script mounts all partitions found.

###		Use at your own risk... No warranty!

# For auto. mounting at bootup, put this script in Puppy folder: /root/Startup

# After bootup, if other drives are plugged in, run mnt-all again to mount them.

# This gets a list of all partition info. except swap and optical drives.
List=`probepart |egrep -v '(swap|sr|none)'`

# This "for" loop steps through the list one partiton at a time.
for Line in $List
do
	Part=${Line%%\|*}							# Get only partition.
	Part=${Part##*/}

[ "`df |grep $Part`" ]&& continue			# Don`t mount, if done already.

Type=${Line%\|*}							# Get file system type.
	Type=${Type##*\|}

[ -d /mnt/$Part ]|| mkdir /mnt/$Part		# Make the mount dir., if none.
	mount -t $Type /dev/$Part /mnt/$Part				# Mount the partition.
	echo "# Mount Partition:  $Part    Type:  $Type"	# Display mount info.
done

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Also - if you want newly plugged in usb sticks to be easily mounted it is possible to alter the /etc/eventmanager file so that "hotplug" events bring up Pmount.

Navigate to /etc/eventmanager and "open as text", then look about halfway down and find "HOTPLUGNOISY" and change it from FALSE to TRUE.

That way when you plug in a usb stick Pmount will pop up and give you the chance to mount it, and then easliy unmount it when you've finished with it.

sheepy

#7 Post by sheepy »

greengeek wrote:Sheepy - I'm considering loading the gtk-youtube downloader mentioned here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
Which one of those versions would be suitable for 3.7 (what repo is it based on please?)
Also, is this idea possibly redundant? Is there already something similar already installed in 3.7 that you use to find/download YT stuff?
cheers

EDIT I decided the lupu one was the correct one and have loaded it - but I can't find it in a menu anywhere. Any suggestions?
There is! :) If you open Firefox, it has the Ant Downloader addon preinstalled. It will allow you to download Youtube videos and many other sites too.
Also, the reason why it is not in the menu is because slimpup does not use the XDG menu that automatically adds things to it (it is very cluttered in my opinion). If you just right click > settings > appearance > openbox menu, you can use this simple GUI to edit and customize the items in the openbox right-click menu.
greengeek wrote:Also - if you want newly plugged in usb sticks to be easily mounted it is possible to alter the /etc/eventmanager file so that "hotplug" events bring up Pmount.

Navigate to /etc/eventmanager and "open as text", then look about halfway down and find "HOTPLUGNOISY" and change it from FALSE to TRUE.

That way when you plug in a usb stick Pmount will pop up and give you the chance to mount it, and then easliy unmount it when you've finished with it.
Good idea! I may add this in the next update :D

rincon155

Is there a bug booting up?

#8 Post by rincon155 »

I have an inconsistency booting up SlimPup 3.7 from CD-RW. Two out of three times SlimPup did not enter, and my permanent OS in HDD booted instead.

In addition, when I tried to save settings in the CD, the system did not respond, and I had to do a hard reset. I made the ISO using the "SAO" option, to allow latter for the savefile in it.

I verified my hardware booting with Puppy Linux 5.4 "Precise" and it responded fast as expected. In this case the CD-R was burnt with the "Finalize" option.

Please advice. Thank you.

sheepy

Re: Is there a bug booting up?

#9 Post by sheepy »

rincon155 wrote:I have an inconsistency booting up SlimPup 3.7 from CD-RW. Two out of three times SlimPup did not enter, and my permanent OS in HDD booted instead.

In addition, when I tried to save settings in the CD, the system did not respond, and I had to do a hard reset. I made the ISO using the "SAO" option, to allow latter for the savefile in it.

I verified my hardware booting with Puppy Linux 5.4 "Precise" and it responded fast as expected. In this case the CD-R was burnt with the "Finalize" option.

Please advice. Thank you.
Hello,
I have never experienced unresponsiveness when trying to save settings to the CD. Hmmm. I know there is a command in puppy to save changes to disc while still in X, but I do not remember the command. :(
What is the permanent OS you have on HDD? Can you give me your hardware specs? Also, have you tried burning slimpup using the finalize option instead of SAO?

rincon155

Inconsistency booting and unable to make savefile in CD-RW

#10 Post by rincon155 »

sheepy: I tried in a Acer Aspire 3002 WLCi.
Please kindly see in this link the specifications:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_Aspi ... 5/p/602558
I will try again burning the iso with the finalize option and will post.

rincon155

Unable to save to DVD or CD

#11 Post by rincon155 »

sheepy: I tried all these but could not save session in CD or DVD:
  • SlimPup 3.7 in CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
    SlimPup 2.4 in CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
I also tried with SAO and Finalize options.

I do not recall all error messages but the last one using the DVD-RW was:
"Unable to pread64 (2) primary volume descriptor"

Then I opted for the option to save in a new DVD-R, placed it, I had no error message but nothing was saved in the media.

I tried in Laptop Acer Aspire 3002 WLCi and in a PC selfmade (AMD FX-4100 in MSI 760GM-P21(FX)).

The inconsistency at boot mentioned in my previous post in the Acer Laptop seems to be an erratic behaviour of the CD unit.

Permanent OS's are:
  • In Acer laptop: Windows XP and Bodhi32 (dual boot)
    In PC: Windows 7 and PCLOS KDE (dual boot in separate physical HDD)

oldyeller

#12 Post by oldyeller »

Hi sheepy,

I really like what you have done with SlimPup. Is this a woof build using EZ-Woof?

also is there a panel like tint2 because I don't see any?

Cheers

toomanyquestions

panel?

#13 Post by toomanyquestions »

oldyeller wrote: is there a panel like tint2
I had the same question...

Gnuxo

#14 Post by Gnuxo »

Will there be a Slimpup based on puppy precise?

toomanyquestions

"------" based slimpup

#15 Post by toomanyquestions »

Gnuxo wrote:Will there be a Slimpup based on puppy precise?
Nay! nay! How about a slimpup based on slacko? Slimpup & Precise official won't run on my pentium 4. Yet I believe slacko based pupex will...

sheepy

#16 Post by sheepy »

oldyeller wrote:Hi sheepy,

I really like what you have done with SlimPup. Is this a woof build using EZ-Woof?

also is there a panel like tint2 because I don't see any?

Cheers
Hi, oldyeller
Thank you! I did not use EZ-Woof. I unsquashed the filesystem from the base puppy, modified it one config and file at a time, and then resquashed it. :)

It does come with tint2, but it is blanked so the panel does not appear. If you want to bring it back (I anticipated some people would want a panel, even though I find it to be unnecessary), run:

killall tint2
rm /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc
tint2
This should bring back Tint2 with the default configuration.
toomanyquestions wrote:
Gnuxo wrote:Will there be a Slimpup based on puppy precise?
Nay! nay! How about a slimpup based on slacko? Slimpup & Precise official won't run on my pentium 4. Yet I believe slacko based pupex will...
I thought about making a slacko-based version. I even thought about completely redoing it with an Ubuntu or real Slackware base. The short answer is probably not. I'm just too attached to Lucid! If it comes to be that many users cannot run Lucid for some reason, then I suppose I would do it for them. xD