What should I backup when upgrading my Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
cheepgeek

What should I backup when upgrading my Puppy?

#1 Post by cheepgeek »

Want to upgrade from lucid to macpup. How would I save emails and different files before I change? What folders would I need to backup? Been using the same puppy for over a year......time to change. Thanks for any help you could give!

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Cheepgeek- be specific. Tell the folks which browsers and email programs you currently run, version info included, along with any other *program* specific configurations you'd like to keep. Most of these are stored in your users home, or, /root- aboard Pup.

cheepgeek

#3 Post by cheepgeek »

Using LUPU 5.25 with seamonkey suite 2.1b1 My main concern is saving emails that I have stored in different folders in email. Any programs I can reinstall. Thanks......sorry to be so vague. It's just that it's time to change.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Essentially, it'll be your profile that you'll back up. Aboard Pup >> ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default

If you look in this folder you should find a mail folder. Within it, the names of the folders I suspect you're concerned about. Let us now whether this is true or not, then have yourself a read through this page and see if you're able to follow along. Of course, you should go ahead and proof this prior to upgrade..

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

Iam running Macpup based on 4.3 and 4.3.1 as normal full installations . I think I know where the mail and bookmark folders are :?: I have so much advertising that I think the world would still turn the same direction as yesterday if I delete these . :mrgreen:

Speeking for frugals I think a compressed copy of the /root folder should do it

Code: Select all

mksquashfs /root Puppy-root-"`date`".sfs
should be able to preserve things . AND don't forget to copy that My-root.sfs onto a USB pendrive to be able to click it.
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P