Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 07:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Two SeaMonkeys share common email and bookmarks
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Mercedes350se

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2013, 20:01    Post subject:  Two SeaMonkeys share common email and bookmarks
Subject description: It appears that it cannot be done.

I have a full HDD install and am using, for various reasons, two seamonkey browsers. One is 1.1.16 and the other is 2.13.2.

How do I set these up so that email and bookmarks are common to both browsers so that any amendment/addition/deletion in one browser is "reflected" in the other?

Last edited by Mercedes350se on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 00:08; edited 1 time in total
Makoto

PostPosted: Sun 24 Feb 2013, 20:18    Post subject:  

I don't know if it's going to be that easy. If I remember correctly, SM 2 and SM 1's profiles are more or less 'incompatible' with each other (I think they've even stated that the more recent SM 2 versions will no longer even import a SM 1 profile... I could be wrong, though.

Edit: From http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.15/:
Quote:
System Requirements, Installation and Uninstallation
Before installing, make sure your computer meets the system requirements. SeaMonkey 2.15.2 will no longer offer to migrate your data from SeaMonkey 1.x or Mozilla 1.x at the first start after installation (bug 689437). In order to upgrade from such an old version, install the last SeaMonkey 2.0 release first, do the one-time profile upgrade, uninstall SeaMonkey 2.0 and then install your target release (e.g. this one).
You can find more details about installation, profile data and uninstallation in our install and uninstall document.

At the very least, the way SM handles bookmarks changed between SM 1 and SM 2 (they adopted something along the lines of Firefox's database-style method of handling bookmarks). You can, however, manually export your SM 2 bookmarks to a bookmarks.html file from within SM 2's Bookmarks Manager, or import the bookmarks.html file from SM 1 into SM 2's Bookmarks Manager.

Mercedes350se

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013, 01:33    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
I don't know if it's going to be that easy. ...
You can, however, manually export your SM 2 bookmarks to a bookmarks.html file from within SM 2's Bookmarks Manager, or import the bookmarks.html file from SM 1 into SM 2's Bookmarks Manager.

Thank you. I have done a Pfind search for bookmarks and only the 1.1.16 show. Hmm.

I have manually exported from 1.1.16 and imported into 2.13.2. It would be nice to not have to remember which browser has which pages bookmarked though.
Makoto

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013, 07:03    Post subject:  

Yeah, I don't know what the filenames for SM 2's bookmarks database are, unfortunately... not that I'm sure it would help, at any rate. Neutral

SM 2 seems to have a Sync feature (probably something like Opera's), but I doubt that'd work for transferring bookmarks and such to SM 1. Sad

Mercedes350se

PostPosted: Sat 02 Mar 2013, 00:07    Post subject:  

Accept it cannot be done and move on!
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 02 Mar 2013, 02:40    Post subject:  

I'm just trying to help, that's all.

Actually, I'd had a PM conversation with another regular on the forum a while back, who normally kept one profile across different installed versions of Seamonkey and Firefox, so I wouldn't necessarily say it's impossible. The problem is, while he'd be more likely to know whether it's possible, or not, he hasn't been around the forum for quite some time. Sad

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: