not an ideal solution though

stifiling

#82 Post by stifiling »

nooby wrote:I tried to set Swedish keyboard on Archpup
version 12.12 and the only way I found out was
to go into terminal and do setxkbmap se

is there any other way?
nooby,

was wondering why you prefer using the older 12.12 over the new 13.2.2 archpup? the new archpup has the archlocale_132.sfs.

stifiling

#83 Post by stifiling »

Sim,

I tried putting together a 64 bit version and couldn't get any further than a 'Kernel Panic'. I know u said earlier that you would be unable to test a 64 bit archpup...but if you happen to have a gap of free time, and wanted to put forth a 'good try' in building one from the 32 bit system.....i'd be interested in testing it out. who knows? using the same scripts, but the x86_64 repos and a 64 bit kernel....it just might work.

simargl

#84 Post by simargl »

I'm now in process of moving to gtk3, next version will be completely different - without qt, and with minimal gtk2 applications (only sfs-load and lxappearance)

Main sfs will have only gtk2 libraries stored in /opt/gtk2/lib, not the full package..
gtk2 is version 2.24.10 and it is converted from Slitaz :shock: package (saves 500 KB and works perfectly 8) )

Latest gpicview development version from git can be compiled to use gtk3, and it's done

If someone wants this package, let me know I will upload it

nooby

#85 Post by nooby »

" the new archpup has the archlocale_132.sfs"

thanks. I am not that good at computers.
so would that sfs work with the old or do i need a new iso?

My take on the word locale is that it make everything Swedish.
Menu and texts translated and so on.

My locale is always English but keyboard Swedish.
then I change that the time zone is Stockholm.

Is that possible with that archlocale_132.sfs ?

What could Oui have done that he does not need a Savefile?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum

simargl

#86 Post by simargl »

In next version there will be new text editor based on gtk3 - l3afpad http://l3afpad.blogspot.com/ and geany is moved to archdev

Items in menu that required geany, like help files will now call /usr/bin/text-editor and that will execute text editor from specified list.

First on that list is geany, and after come l3afpad, mousepad, gedit... That means default text editor in main sfs is l3afpad,
but after archdev is loaded geany becomes the default.

Smithy

#87 Post by Smithy »

Just downloaded the Minimal Arch.

Will it do Jack pet, wineasio, rcrn51 canon printers? Green Dome Wines?
Just wondering if there is some special repository for apps, or whether the puppy pets will work with it.
Thanks.

EDIT: Well it looks nice and shiny, but how do you install things, clicked on a pet and it just did a copy of itself onto the hard drive.. I guess it won't do pets, or menu entries. Obviously it is a big departure from the standard puppy way of doing things, could do with a start bar with all the menu entries so you can get there quickly.
i.e Internet Connection, Firewall, Sound Setup, Video Setup. Printer Setup.
Looks very good tho'!
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 24 Feb 2013, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

forum

#88 Post by raffy »

The new version 13.2.2 was recently announced together with a new forum. When I registered there, I could not use "raffy" as username, and the forum says
PERMISSIONS IN THIS FORUM:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FYI, thanks.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

simargl

#89 Post by simargl »

Smithy,
in standard iso there is pacman GUI application for installing packages, but for minimal version
you'll have to use console. That is also easy :P, and this guide might be helpful http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 162#686162

raffy, Ok thanks for that information wi'll try to fix the problem.
I made that forum yesterday as a replacement for sourceforge forum - that one felt too rudimentary.
oui wrote:sigmarl did build the first "modern" Puppy after years, without save file, without little windows killing the time, and you a few guy's did turn him so, that he did reintroduce the UGGLY FILE and more and more little windows killing the time of the user!

good luck: «You have the distribution on the conscience» (Sie haben die Distribution auf dem Gewissen)!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Smithy

#90 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for the link Simargl, I must admit I've only used Fdisk and format C:
in a console (and a few Puppy tricks when I had to) and much prefer watching the console in those 70's films :wink:
But the archpup has got a nice clean look and feel about it from navigating with the mouse.
Will just keep watching how it develops for now.

darkcity

#91 Post by darkcity »

I would like to make an SFS containing all those lovely sound apps for archpup - but I haven't got time at the moment ; -(

unni

How to install this ?

#92 Post by unni »

How can I install this ? I tried some steps given in some other threads of this forum like partitioning my drive & formatting it with ext4 . Then copied the 3 files some *.sfs , vmlinuz and initrd . Atlast , ran the grub4dos config . But on restarting the virtual machine ( yes , its on a VM ) , I get a window manager not found error . Is it some trouble with xinitrc ? Please help !

simargl

Re: How to install this ?

#93 Post by simargl »

unni wrote:How can I install this ? I tried some steps given in some other threads of this forum like partitioning my drive & formatting it with ext4 . Then copied the 3 files some *.sfs , vmlinuz and initrd . Atlast , ran the grub4dos config . But on restarting the virtual machine ( yes , its on a VM ) , I get a window manager not found error . Is it some trouble with xinitrc ? Please help !
Did you copy all 3 sfs files, with only archpup_132.sfs it will boot just to tty because window manager is in other sfs module - inside adrv-openbox_132.sfs.

unni

#94 Post by unni »

Thanks for that ! I think I didnt copy all the sfs and that's what created the problem .
Now Im trying to install Guest Additions and when I tried to do

Code: Select all

pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils 
I get an error cannot resolve "linux>=3.7", a dependency of "virtualbox-guest-modules" .
So I thought the error was due to the old kernel ( 3.4.28 ) which is the one which is currently present in ArchPup . So tried to do a full system update through Pacman -Syu but it turned out that core and all others like community , extra and archpup are update to date . Now I am trying to update the kernel through

Code: Select all

pacman -S linux
. Is this the right way of doing it ?

simargl

#95 Post by simargl »

Kernel from Arch Linux unfortunately cannot be used in archpup because it doesn't have aufs support,
so to get functional Virtual box modules it is required to recompile them with archpup kernel source sfs loaded.
I tried to do it once and got some udev related error.

unni

#96 Post by unni »

So it is . As I earlier told , I tried installing linux kernel from arch repos but nothing happened as the arch thingy didnt have aufs support . Thanks for your support !

nooby

#97 Post by nooby »

kind of odd error? playing .wma music file.
Nothing show up that one can use to shut it down.
I tested using mplayer and nothing shows up.

even if I go to menu and chose mplayer from there nothing shows
it just play the music but nothing to click on to stop it.
Very annoying if one have a file from a 60 minute speech
Esc does not help either

Scooby

#98 Post by Scooby »

MAybe its time to move from old archpup version to the latest.

Is this stable -- will not be greatly changed in the near future?

You couldnt run new with your old savefile huh?

nooby

#99 Post by nooby »

Are you sure that the new one have a different way for how the GMplayer works
with wma files?

I wanted to use it without a save file inspired by Oui but I am not as tech savvy as he is.

So it is just a test I do. I try to download latest and see if it behaves different?

Hm are not the gmplayer in the archapps-12-12.sfs okay maybe the new one has
its own archapps-13-xx.sfs

simargl

#100 Post by simargl »

Scooby,
I think current version is more stable than any one before, you can do what ever you want with it 8)
Only things missing are drivers for nvidia cards, original packages from Arch obviously don't work...

nooby,
That's strange error, if you started mplayer from terminal it should stop when you close it.
But if it's started with file manager it would open smplayer that one is just graphical fronted
it is still using mplayer. btw, this is original mplayer2 package from Arch with all codecs enabled, so it will play everything. :P

Edit
If you want to test new UI framework QT5, instructions are here http://archpup.freeforums.org/general-d ... on-f3.html