How to theme Puppy Linux like Windows XP

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
JamesTheAwesomeDude

How to theme Puppy Linux like Windows XP

#1 Post by JamesTheAwesomeDude »

I've been working on some ways that you can make Puppy Linux look as much like Windows XP as possible, and I've come up with some pretty good stuff.

It's a work in progress, so please be patient. The current release is really sort of in the Alpha stage, and right now, it's just some icons, menus, and wallpapers, but it's a start.
Screenshot:
(The taskbar is actually part of the wallpaper. Set your FBPanel to 30px high. Supported resolutions: 800x600, 1280x1024, 1280x800, 1366x768.)

Please stay tuned, and offer suggestions! Most of my work will be done on the weekend, but please don't hesitate to reply with ideas, comments, criticism, etc. I'll try to be sure I read all of it.

UPDATE: Sorry, for some reason all my uploads say "empty file" when I try to upload them.
For now, just use the copy in my Dropbox folder: PuppyXP-0.0.3.pet (It's actually uploading while I'm typing, so it may be unavailable for a few minutes.)
Last edited by JamesTheAwesomeDude on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 00:20, edited 3 times in total.

stevenhoffman1

Installation Instructions?

#2 Post by stevenhoffman1 »

I downloaded and installed the file you had up. Now what do i do? It said it successfully installed, but I don't know how to apply the theme now that it is installed.

Sorry if this is a novice question

PeterRJG

#3 Post by PeterRJG »

Hi there,

No, I'm not finding it under Themes either. Only what came with the pup. Is there some special way to enable it?

Cheers,
Peter

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

The crucial thing to know is which Puppy JamesTheAwesomeDude start with.

He mentions FBPanel AKA fluxbox panel. That makes me think he's using Lucid which comes with OpenBox and FBPanel as an alternative to JWM.

@stevenhoffman1 and @PeterRJG

Which puppy are you starting with?

---
If the panel isn't showing then install OpenBox

(If slacko you can get OpenBox here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/LupufySlacko#hn_3._Openbox)

---
To set icons I'm guess go to
PuppyMenu > Desktop > Desktop icon switcher

---

@JamesTheAwesomeDude its probably best to use similar icons if not already (as the other ones will be copyright MS).

I'm helping someone make the switch so this could be useful for me, many thanks.

Here's someone doing something similar with Ubuntu
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2028896/ ... ows-7.html