Getting a USB 3G dongle to work in Saluki. SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
BJF

Getting a USB 3G dongle to work in Saluki. SOLVED

#1 Post by BJF »

EeePC 701 4G Saluki 023 installed to SSD.

The USB dongle is a ZTE CDMA MSM item. It is recognised by another non-Puppy distro on an SD card and works OOTB.

I really want to make it go from Saluki, which replaces editions of Puppeee that have lost the will to communicate via Wifi as soon as the dongle is plugged in. Saluki recognises the thing as a 3G USB device by popping up a window which remains for near 30 seconds then disappears. There is no other indicators but the Wifi survives.
I've written to the Saluki Forum site in vain, and searched this Forum for some way to have Frisbee connect the dongle.

Please can someone point me in the right direction so that my Pup can get on the air.

Thanks.
Last edited by BJF on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Try to run

Code: Select all

( pgprs-shell || pgprs-setup ) && pgprs-connect
or

pupdial
in the urxvt terminal , which both are GUI interfaces (Software) to create an internet-connection . I think that the needed driver had loaded already , since the popup occured .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

BJF

#3 Post by BJF »

Karl: Success. I chose pupdial and went as far as the box asking for username, phone number, etc. I stopped at that point because I don't have cellular coverage at home here and I don't want to explain that to a dongle! I will have another try from work tomorrow where there is coverage.
Just one question. In distro X (LXDE PCLINUXOS) the dongle knows its SIMM card phone number and PIN which it requires an OK to proceed. Then it connects. I don't have a user name for it but via it's distributor I have an email address. How much information will Pupdial need, and in what form?

Thanks.

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

When using my ZTE MF636, I usually leave the default setting for name and password alone, I don't touch them at all.
  • I set the phone number to *99#
  • I set the Wireless APN to the address supplied by the enternet provider
  • I set the PIN
  • I deactivate the Dialtone check, Busy check and Auto Reconnect, and activate Stupid Mode
  • I somtimes have to modify the /etc/.wvdial.conf file, by modifying the top line to 'Modem = /dev/ttyUSB2', before making a new attempt to get the modem working
Some puppys are strangely slow in their response time, it takes forever before the modem show on the desktop as a memory stick, but even then the modem is not ready for an attempt to make it work. After many failed attemps, I found that leaving it alone for a couple of minutes before doing anything at all, suddenly made it work after setting the necessary entries shown above.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

BJF

#5 Post by BJF »

Gentlepeople: I am connected thank you. The device was found on /ttyUSB3 and I put in the Vodafone dial-up number *99# (thank you Tallboy) and added the APN mentioned in Pupdial Help, vfprepaybdd.. Clicked Connect and in milliseconds it was alive and well. Creating a Desktop link to Pupdial completed the job. I am a happy man.

Thank you again, mark this SOLVED.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

Yeah, it seems that the Vodafone dongles are working well with the standard driver option.ko . There are some Puppies that do not load the driver automatically . In that case just do a

modprobe -v --first-time option
in the console .
My Vodafone Surf-Stick is a Huawei K3715 .

My today bought Huawei E352s-5 from T-Mobile has an extra linux driver stored on the ROM-Chip, that would need the kernel sources to compile it :cry: