How to download podcasts?

Using applications, configuring, problems
superdave

How to download podcasts?

#1 Post by superdave »

Does anyone know of any sofware and sites where podcasts can be downloaded on linux? If you know the site where the sofware is, that would be help.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

Hi superdave
pMusic is bundled with most Puppies these days.

Me too would be glad to hear if anyone know of a good podcast site.

Sigmund

vicmz

#3 Post by vicmz »

[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

superdave

#4 Post by superdave »

If I go to www.alexjonespodcasts.com and they have podcasts that play on a website like this link: http://www.ajpfiles.com/February2013/20 ... _Jones.mp3 Is it possible to get this podcast that plays on this website sent to an Ipod or MP3 player. If not, is there sites to download news podcasts so I can get this show every day on my MP3 or ipod while using linux?

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

superdave

#6 Post by superdave »

ok, I got it on the Pmusic with the name days and podcast URL. WHen I "check for new podcasts NOW" it tries and then the last I see is 0% before it stops and leaves the screen. Do I need to turn something on? DO I need to enable task scheduler in boot manager or something? I got a message like that in the "schedule podcast checking" tab. I don't know where the boot manager is though.

zigbert

#7 Post by zigbert »

superdave
Since you are using Fatdog, the task scheduler are probably different from other Puppies which uses pSchedule (which again pMusic relies on). I think Fatdog uses LxTask?

"check for new podcasts NOW" should be ok with no other settings.
Even if it shows 0% - did any file get downloaded? Check /root/.pmusic/podcasts/ or wherever you have defined the pMusic storage.
If it fails it would be great if you could post the output when running 'pmusic -u' in terminal.

Do you have any possibility to test this in one of the official Puppies (like Slacko)?

What version of pMusic are you running?

What output do you get if you run a dependency check (Help menu)?

Thank you
Sigmund

superdave

#8 Post by superdave »

Since you are using Fatdog, the task scheduler are probably different from other Puppies which uses pSchedule (which again pMusic relies on). I think Fatdog uses LxTask?

"check for new podcasts NOW" should be ok with no other settings.
Even if it shows 0% - did any file get downloaded? Check /root/.pmusic/podcasts/ or wherever you have defined the pMusic storage.
If it fails it would be great if you could post the output when running 'pmusic -u' in terminal.

Do you have any possibility to test this in one of the official Puppies (like Slacko)?

What version of pMusic are you running?

What output do you get if you run a dependency check (Help menu)?

I am running version 2.6.2

It will not put anything in my archives. the

dependency check gives:
ssion expected missing
ffmpeg >=0.8 ????
aplay (alsa) is ok
cdda2wav is ok
wget is ok
stream ripper MISSING
pEqualizer (10 band equalizer) MISSING
pschedule is ok

I only have this puppy that I am trying to get working because I have windows 7.

How do I post it in terminal? This is all new to me.

Can fixing the missing areas help it work? thanks for all your help!!

superdave

#9 Post by superdave »

Does anyone know why my Fatdog 64 pmusic ap will not download podcasts to my archive when I add a link to pull from daily? It is version 2.6.2. Is there something I need to change?

zigbert

#10 Post by zigbert »

superdave
Yeah, I see that it reports pSchedule to be in place, but it is likely to believe that it is only a symlink to LxTask. You'll find the latest pSchedule to install by clicking on my signature.

Your pMusic is version 2.6.2 which should work just fine for podcast management (I think), but things is moving forward, and the recent 3.2.3 release is heavily improved. BUT, you can not upgrade without also upgrade the dependencies. The pMusic 3 branch take advantage of later functionality in both ffmpeg and gtkdialog.
I only have this puppy that I am trying to get working because I have windows 7.
I guess this means you have a 64-bit system? Be aware that all 32-bit Puppies will run on a 64-bit as well. Slacko 5.5 was released the other day, and is recommended. download here. Slacko 5.5 contains the very latest pMusic with all dependencies.

Good luck
Sigmund

superdave

#11 Post by superdave »

I'll try it. I am nervous running a new puppy.