CD/DVD burner can see a DVD but not a CD

Booting, installing, newbie
beekster

CD/DVD burner can see a DVD but not a CD

#1 Post by beekster »

This discussion got started on another forum thread, how to clear personal storage. The DVD RW / CD Rom drive works fine with DVDs which is great, and there is no audio problem, but the computer can't detect a CD in the drive, so why is that? It would be cool to figure that out. So far, with help (lots of it since I'm a beginner :D ) I've been getting into the console as follows: (BTW, my breed of puppy is Wary5.3)

dmesg > demesg.txt >>
gzip dmesg.txt >>
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=2048

At one point, I was able to get a rise out of the drive (lights blinking disc spinning up.)
The drive is a problem, but maybe not as big a problem as the user :lol:

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

OK, GOOD! Now- where's this da*n dmesg.txt.gz!

OK, OK.. in your shiny new console: dmesg > dmesg.txt

Open that *file* thing on your desktop.

Find dmesg.txt >> open >> highlight >> copy >> & paste here.

Between co~ nevermind..

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Great! Move it to this thread though- where it belongs.

Code: Select all

scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM            LITE-ON  DVDRW SOHW-1693S KS0B PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 62x/62x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
sr 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
Done!
Attachments
dmesg.txt.gz
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Say, ah.. could you gzip'n upload a copy of your modules.conf?

Yes.. Yet another :lol: exercise in running Pup. Good practice..

beekster

#5 Post by beekster »

As long as you understand I'm up to my eyeballs in galoshes I'll stumble along! :? In other words, I don't know how to do that.

beekster

#6 Post by beekster »

Or I should say I don't know what modules.config is. I have this huge file which is the one in question. Is that what you need to see?

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Menu >> filesystem > Pfind.

Toggle system >> NOT personal.

Load: modules.conf

It's where?

I put it this way so you get to see the utilities Pup has to offer.

Easy copy = two ROX open.

One where you'll find modules.conf..

The other >> possibly your home folder >> /root.

Drag'n drop >> copy.

Now you can rt-clk in a blank area..

Select: window >> terminal here.

Now: gzip <your_copy>

Follow?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Beekster, it looks to me like your original statement, that Puppy can't see a CD, may be due to the fact that Puppy can't see media that don't have a filesystem on them, which, for some reason I've never been clear on, includes standard audio CDs. Media players, such as Pmusic, can see and will play standard audio CDs, and Pburn will see and burn blank CDs, but Puppy the operating system can't see either one.

Or have I misunderstood the problem?

beekster

#9 Post by beekster »

Follow?[/quote]

I'm workin' on it. Don't hold your breath!

beekster

#10 Post by beekster »

Flash wrote:Beekster, it looks to me like your original statement, that Puppy can't see a CD, may be due to the fact that Puppy can't see media that don't have a filesystem on them, which, for some reason I've never been clear on, includes standard audio CDs.
Perhaps that's true. Anyway, we're workin' on a plan here. Or, should I say, we're workin' on me :lol: I've found the modules.config, now I have to copy and gzip. :roll:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Okay, don't mind me butting in. :D

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Beekster- as Flash states the drives contents require a file system in order to allow mount. Pup should generate a drive icon with a blank cd, but won't be able to mount, or, read it. With images or other types of files, items in or on a file system, Pup should have no problem. This'll cover most file systems out of the box.

With your setup we know DVD's aren't an issue.

These cd's however.. they're not blank, correct?

I think you conveyed audio cd's were the problem.. namely your drives icon no longer showed when loaded, right?

Are these commercial or custom home burned cd's? Ya know, multi-mode.. including videos perhaps?

Any of them with more than just audio content?

Is Wary installed to the hard drive?

beekster

#13 Post by beekster »

No, I'm booting wary from a DVD. So, to recap, DVDs are fine; no problem with audio/video. CDs, on the other hand, of any kind, blank, commercial, homemade, don't show up at all. I have heard it's possible for a combo drive to quit working with one or another media, so that's a possibility. It's not worth it to get another drive, and if it's a software issue that would have to be resolved anyway.

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

OK so you are running Live DVD (not frugally installed), where is your save-file?

When you put an audio CD into the drive do you get a CD drive icon appearing on your desktop or not?

It would be helpful to boot with "puppy pfix=ram" (when you see the splash screen, you can press F2 to halt the boot if you want) so you boot without the save-file, then remove the boot DVD, put a CD into the drive and see if that works. If it doesn't then you have a problem with the drive hardware. If it works (but then doesn't when you reboot with your save-file loaded) then you have installed something which has messed things up.

The normal default behaviour is that the CD will open and play in pCD when you click on the icon.
Oscar in England

beekster

#15 Post by beekster »

Yes, I'm running from a live DVD, and the save file is on the hard drive. Before Puppy (BP?) this was a problem. Never got it to play a CD, only DVDs. It seems then it's a hardware issue. I think I'll break down and spend the 25 bucks on a new drive, and then we'll see what happens.

So I set the task of trying to get it working in front of me, and with Semme pushing me along, I've jumped feet first into the world of Puppy Linux, and I gotta say it's been a real eye opener for me :shock: MY first experience using the console, beginning to learn about file system utilities etc.

And I'm going to stick with it. We're already in the middle of a process and I've got to work my way through it.

But, I'm having a good time! :D

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Hey Beekster, Oscar asked if you'd boot live and look for the cd drive icon after inserting an audio disk.

Reboot >> when you get the Pup screen type a quick: p

Now you can take your time and finish. The line goes like this: puppy pfix=ram

This'll boot into a fresh environment where you can double-check for the icon.

This is the best method for isolating issues for when things no longer work.

When you're done, shutdown or reboot >> DON'T save..

Your old one'll still be there.

beekster

#17 Post by beekster »

That's cool. I'll have to try it, however, as far as the drive goes, I installed a new one (took the easy way out 8) ) and it works fine. Listening right now in fact! So, that problem is solved. I've left the old drive in as it's provided a good excuse for learning.

You've given me quite a bag of tricks to explore, and there are still a few loose ends of things, like gzipping the modules.config. Learning to use the console and finding my way around filing system utilities and such can keep me busy for quite awhile!

beekster

#18 Post by beekster »

OscarTalks wrote:
When you put an audio CD into the drive do you get a CD drive icon appearing on your desktop or not?

It would be helpful to boot with "puppy pfix=ram" (when you see the splash screen, you can press F2 to halt the boot if you want) so you boot without the save-file, then remove the boot DVD, put a CD into the drive and see if that works.
Well, I did a little variation here, hitting <enter> after puppy pfix=ram, with the pup in the drive, and this little puppy went on an adventure :o Looks like I'm starting over with a clean slate, and 1 Gb personal storage!

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

It's OK. You can have any multiple of the same version sf. Good to here you have audio.. 8)

Rip'm down with Asunder- free your drive. Various codecs and sampling rates supported..