New lappie, no Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
BeeJay

New lappie, no Puppy

#1 Post by BeeJay »

Been using Puppy for quite a while as an alternative OS on an older Win 7 desktop so when I got a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge it was automatic to want to add it asap. However the laptop has no internal DVD so I had to set up Puppy from a USB DVD but no joy as no Puppy sfs file found. Assuming that this was a USB problem I copied the sfs file to the hard disk and tried again and then everything appeared to be OK - except my USB flash drive simply wasn't registering, and neither would any other that I tried. Putting that problem aside I tried to set up a wireless connection to the router, but no wireless adapter found! I went through every one in the More list but none would work with the Broadcom adapter in the Edge.

So using the current version of Puppy I've no USB and no wifi. Is there anything I can do?

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

Try this.

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

Hi BeeJay, I hope this can be helpful.
There is a complementary 528 that you may want to take a look at, the LupuPlus_5.2.8.005-1. It has a number of extra drivers - I spotted a broadcom driver in there -and some other small improvements. You'll find the lupuplus in the ordinary 528 thread, posts starting here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1665

There is also an updated usb-modeswitch modem package. Take a look at this post with download link, in the same 528 thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 351#646351

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are these USB 3.0 ports? You will probably need a newer Puppy to detect them.

BeeJay

#5 Post by BeeJay »

OK thanks guys, not at home atm but will follow up. Current version also has .005 at the end but not -1 but worth a try and yes, the ports are USB3.

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

Once upon a time...
When using my old 2003 PC...
Lupu-528.005 was my favourite Puppy.
Really loved that Puppy. :D

Then I bought a new PC in 2012, and Lupu wouldn't work on it.
Found that the only one of my previous 6 Puppies that would work on both the old and the new PC was "Slacko-5.3.3.1-scsi".
This Slacko is now my favorite Puppy.
It's rather like Lupu.

Others that work on the new hardware:
2. Dpup-Exprimo-5.x.3.4.2.8-scsi
3. Racy-5.3
4. Precise-5.4.2
5. Fatdog64-600-Firefox
6. Lina-003
7. Macpup_529

BeeJay

#7 Post by BeeJay »

Just what I needed, I'd really miss my puppy. Let you know.

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

and yes, the ports are USB3
The USB3 driver is called " xhci-hcd.ko " .

As I

Code: Select all

grep XHCI /mnt/sdb6/etc/modules/*
I get a

/mnt/sdb6/etc/modules/DOTconfig-k2.6.33.2-27MAY2010-LUPU-SMP-TICKLESS:# CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD is not set

You would need to recompile the kernel and repack the initrd.gz to get USB3 support for Lupu .

Probably a later 2.6.32.x kernel from Wary would do, too .

:Take it easy but take it:
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

BeeJay

#9 Post by BeeJay »

I'm very pleased I posted my problem here as I'm posting this from Slacko 5.4, on my new lappie. My USB3 ports are being recognized and my wireless adapter too. As I don't have a dvd on this comp I installed Slacko by first installing EasyBCD in Win 7 and placing a copy of the ISO file at the root of C along with a copy of the sfs file. That's easier than using a DVD as EasyBCD can use an ISO file exactly as if it were a real disk. The only residual problem I'm aware of is my touchpad isn't working too well, but the wireless mouse is so no problem.

Thanks everyone...it's lovely to have my puppy back again!

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

BeeJay, I hope you get the Slacko to work as intended. I migrated to Slacko 5.4 myself after Debian closed the Lenny repos for my beloved dpup_484/485s. The Slacko still has a lot of bugs and problems to sort out, so in the meantime I decided to go for the Lupu_528, and later the LupuPlus_528. After some app deletions, and some app additions, followed by a remastering, it is now as close to perfect as can be for me. If you experience trouble with the Slacko, you can use the LupuPlus_528.

The post that I linked to above, announcing LupuPlus_5.2.8.005_1 and listing all the new drivers, also includes a USB3 driver - in addition to the broadcom driver you need - on that list, see also this post regarding that USB3 driver:
Drivers for Puppy 5.1-5.2.8 with 2.6.33.2 kernel

tallboy

BeeJay

#11 Post by BeeJay »

Apart from my touchpad Slacko does seem OK atm so now I will also set up LupuPlus and see how that goes. Might be a few days though.

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

after Debian closed the Lenny repos for my beloved dpup_484/485s
Old debian repo is at

http://archive.debian.net/

Took indeed several month after Lenny had been removed from debian.org to show up at debian.net .
* bo (1.3.1)
* hamm (2.0)
* slink (2.1)
* potato (2.2)
* woody (3.0)
* sarge (3.1)
* etch (4.0)
* lenny (5.0)

I am using it quite often .

BeeJay

#13 Post by BeeJay »

tallboy wrote:The post that I linked to above, announcing LupuPlus_5.2.8.005_1 and listing all the new drivers, also includes a USB3 driver - in addition to the broadcom driver you need
tallboy
That has worked perfectly on the Lenovo and I've removed Slacko. Thank you!

tallboy

#14 Post by tallboy »

Glad you made it work, BeeJay. I don't think I've ever used a puppy as complete as the LupuPlus when it comes to how all things actually work as intended, to use a Debian expression; it is a stable version!
Karl Godt wrote:Old debian repo is at http://archive.debian.net/
Thank you very much, Karl!
I downloaded all the Lenny DVD .isos at a time, but I cannot find them! :roll:

tallboy

BeeJay

#15 Post by BeeJay »

tallboy wrote:Glad you made it work, BeeJay. I don't think I've ever used a puppy as complete as the LupuPlus when it comes to how all things actually work as intended, to use a Debian expression; it is a stable version!
May just have spoken too soon. Certainly the initial setup went without a hitch, everything working straight 'out of the box', and when I shut it down yesterday evening and directed to save the LupuSave file to my flash drive, that appeared to work too. But booting it up just now it's asking for first setup details again, time zone etc. So either it can't find or isn't using the saved info.

It's the same flash drive I've long used with Lupu 5.2.8 but I did reformat it first to remove any old files.

Some digging and head scratching required! First will be to watch exactly what's on the screen during the next boot to see what it says about the saved file, but Saturdays are busy days so that may have to wait a while.

tallboy

#16 Post by tallboy »

BeeJay, some puppys, like the 5.2.8, is set up to ask about keyboard etc. every time when run from a live disk, but like everything else in a puppy, that behaviour can be modified. I remember a post about it early in the 5.2.8 thread, try some creative queries with http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html. I prefer the setup for my live CD that is moved from machine to machine, but it must be annoying in a frugal or full installation. I know there are scripts in ~/Startup and in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, but I haven't looked at them yet. Also, I never used a save file, but is that a possible solution here?
I sent you a pm.

tallboy

BeeJay

#17 Post by BeeJay »

I was running Lupu 5.2.8 from bootable ISO on my old laptop before it died recently and at bootup it would find the lupusave.2fs file on my flash drive with all my settings and customisation. If I had to go through the Q & A at every boot I wouldn't bother with Puppy at all. Booting a bootable ISO from a Grub4DOS boot menu is identical to booting from CD only about 50 times quicker 8)

I expected to get the same behaviour on the new Lenovo but it is proving impossible. However it did work when I had Slacko so when I have the time I'll revert to that.

I simply don't have the time or inclination to start learning all that command line stuff I'm afraid but I'll keep your PM as I'm sure I'll need to refer to it at some point.

Thanks!