Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

Network tray updated

#181 Post by rerwin »

Argolance & other testers,
Note that I uploaded another version of the network_tray package on page 11. It has "integrated" icons and a script to switch between analog and wireless dialup icons.
Richard

Argolance

#182 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
... It is noted, downloaded but not tested: I have to go! :cry:
See you tomorrow...

Cordialement.

peebee

Re: Network tray updated

#183 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Argolance & other testers,
Note that I uploaded another version of the network_tray package on page 11. It has "integrated" icons and a script to switch between analog and wireless dialup icons.
Richard
Hi Richard
Tested on both Precise 5.4.90 and Slacko 5.4.0.3 - all seems AOK.
Regards
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Argolance

#184 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Tested on Precise 5.4.3. OK!
Another proposal for tray icons.

Cordialement.
Attachments
frisbee_icons.png
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 1541 times

rerwin

#185 Post by rerwin »

Argolance wrote:In a previous post, I asked you if it would be possible to give the preference to a wireless network when several available?
The preference seems like something I can try to add to frisbee.
As simple user, I really think it is important: every time I start my laptop (this may happen several times a day, because of tests I am doing with!) Frisbee automatically connect to an available public network. The tray icon let me think all is ok but while running "Seamonkey", for example, I am immediately redirected to an inscription web page to create an account to use this public network (... and some Windoze user at home to promptly say "aahhh, LINUX is crappy"!)! Then I close Seamonkey, run Frisbee to get a connection to my private network, and so on... :shock:
Frisbee is a little bit more convenient for setting/configuring a wireless network than the Dougal's GUI, but this one has not this inconvenience...
Argolance,
I have been researching this and now understand (I think) how the choice is made about connecting to a network. When there are no network profiles saved, the networks found are given priority 0. When a profile is saved, it is given a priority greater than zero and greater than any already saved. Only when multiple networks of the same (0) priority are discovered are the strength values considered -- but only for those of the same priority. So there are several ways to control the automatic choice of network.
  • 1. Save profiles for only those networks you want to connect to, leaving the others at priority 0.

2. If the less desired network is already in a saved profile, delete that profile.

3. If you sometimes need the "stronger" public network, save its profile before saving the preferred network's profile.

4. Adjust the relative priorities of the profiles so that the preferred networks have a higher (greater value) priority than the competitors in the same geographic area.
If none of these work for you, please PM me a pdiag file from frisbee's Diagnose dialog. If they work, maybe we should mention the priority scheme in a tool-tip or elsewhere. Thanks for your concern about this issue.
Richard

peebee

Frisbee on Precise 5.4.92

#186 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard

Just tried Frisbee as BK has built-in to Precise 5.4.92

The display of which wifi signal you are connected to seems to have disappeared!! which is a shame as it used to tell you that the connection had succeeded - see screenie

Also, wording consistency, you've changed the button to "Manage Saved Networks" but the initial splash screen says use "Edit Saved Networks" to set a static ip address.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture19512.png
(61.03 KiB) Downloaded 1536 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#187 Post by peebee »

01micko has made an alternative network-tray

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=191

that he is asking for testing / views on

01micko

#188 Post by 01micko »

Yes, but I have already found a bug, common to rerwin's version and my fork. The icon for ethernet via frisbee doesn't "blink", that is it doesn't reflect tx and rx status. Consequently, tx and rx stats are not recorded.

The icon for mobile-dialup does blink, but it doesn't record the tx/rx/stats.

I'll post source for mine shortly in the linked thread by peebee. By shortly, I mean when I fix the bug! I do have the IP address working for LAN and PPP now. (Reflected in pop up message with the rx/tx stats).

EDIT:

Richard,

About the above bug report, there is misinformation.

The bug is in frisbee code itself, not the tray. icon.What happens is that I have 2 ethernet interfaces (yes I know this isn't common but it's still a bug). When I connect with SNS or Network Wizard on the seconf interface (eth1) all works as expected and I get blinking icons.

In frisbee, if I connect to eth1 then my icon fails to blink. eth0 is reported by the splash messages as "down" but if you do cat /sys/class/net/eth0/dormant it returns 0 indicating it is still up. The icon is then getting it's values from /sys/class/net/eth0 for eth1, but they don't change meaning that the icon fails to blink and the rx/tx values are wrong.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zygo

#189 Post by zygo »

rerwin,

replying to your post on http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84298 at Feb 26, 2013, at 5:25 pm

Yes, the Huawei E3131 is switched by usbmodeswitch into a NIC -- VendorID=12d1 ProductID=14db KERNEL-MODULE=cdc_ether. Both SNS and Frisbee say it is of type 'wired'! It also worked in the previous release of PP. Apparently it can be switched to a dial-up modem instead but then you have the usual blanks to fill -- APN, init and dial strings etc.

I was too hasty. Interface swapping is fixed in PP5.4.92. While flayling around I blocked UDP on my firewall. It is broken in the previous PP.

Breaking the click action of the tray applet occured in the previous PP after using Dougle's NetWiz.

Suggestion: If Frisbee is installed then the event manager splash needs to be changed or removed.

The network menu now has only 2 items 'setup networking' and 'network status information'.

rerwin

#190 Post by rerwin »

01micko wrote:The icon for ethernet via frisbee doesn't "blink", that is it doesn't reflect tx and rx status. Consequently, tx and rx stats are not recorded.

The icon for mobile-dialup does blink, but it doesn't record the tx/rx/stats.

The bug is in frisbee code itself, not the tray. icon.What happens is that I have 2 ethernet interfaces (yes I know this isn't common but it's still a bug). When I connect with SNS or Network Wizard on the seconf interface (eth1) all works as expected and I get blinking icons.

In frisbee, if I connect to eth1 then my icon fails to blink. eth0 is reported by the splash messages as "down" but if you do cat /sys/class/net/eth0/dormant it returns 0 indicating it is still up. The icon is then getting it's values from /sys/class/net/eth0 for eth1, but they don't change meaning that the icon fails to blink and the rx/tx values are wrong.
Thanks for pursuing these issues.

I have seen similar misbehavior on my PC with a NIC and wifi connection. With no networks to connect to, the wifi (wlan0) is declared "down" and the ethernet icon does not blink. After examining the network_tray code (as part of integrating the frisbee part), I concluded that it was written on the assumption that there is only one active networking connection. Therefore, the last interface found (eth0, wlan0, ppp0) is what is used to determine the byte traffic. Assuming that my eth0 is detected before wlan0 (alphabetically), only the traffic info for the "down" wlan0 is used to select the icon. The eth0 info got processed, but was overlaid by the wlan0 traffic info. At least, that is how I explained it to myself.

I tried to live with that constraint, but am sure there is inaccuracy introduced by the above behavior. Reworking network_tray to correctly handle multiple active connections is much more complicated than I was ready to tackle, in the interest of getting frisbee, such as it is, integrated. Now that that is done, we can focus on making it and network_tray work better. I do intend to get back to them, but first things first.

About the traffic measurements: There is only one accumulator for the monthly totals, so that it is not clear, to me, what that total includes -- the traffic on all connections? Just one of several?

I think the intent for the monthly value is for connections with a monthly limit on byte traffic. It seems to me that that would most likely apply to wireless dialup accounts, but maybe there are other cases. When Barry added that feature, I mimicked it for dialup accounts but did not attempt to add that to network_tray (way beyond me, at that time). As we tighten up network_tray, we can add that. The monthly totals for dialup are kept in /var/local/pupdial/isp, which is a link to one of the two possible dialup accounts. Those totals should be used for dialup, instead if those in /var/local/sns. But that implementation does not take into account connections made through "Wireless GPRS modem" connections.

Regarding the up/down splashes: they are probably produced when dhcpcd starts or stops for a particular link. The up/down states are signaled to network_tray for wireless and ethernet and are completely independent of the device status as indicated by /sys/class/net/... Multiple wireless or ethernet interfaces will confuse network_tray because only a single indicator is kept for each interface type. I am considering using the /sys/class/net/... information for up/down state, similar to how the dialup is handled and using the presence of a /sys/class/net/*/wireless directory as the indicator of a wireless (wifi) link. Then, I need to rethink how to use the dhcpcd up/down indications.

I am very interested in your effort to correct the stats and icon blinking, but suspect you will find it more complicated than you expected. I think this would be a significant task.

On another subject: irishrm and I are seeing timeout disconnects not seen in the older Frisbees. I expect they are related to the "beta4" change in how frisbee connects through wpa_supplicant. I think Jemimah's intent was to improve handling of multiple access points for the same network. But maybe wpa_supplicant is not handling everything correctly. I am hoping that the 1.0 version you use will correct the problem. Is there any reason why we should not request that 1.0 or even 1.1 be added to the puppy repo as an alternative, other that that they are huge compared to the 0.7.3 version in puppy?
Richard

EDIT a few minutes later: Irishrm informs me that running frisbee on the slacko beta (with wpa_supplicant-1.0) does not solve the problem. I wonder if the replacement for the deprecated wext driver (nl80211?) would fix it. That is a whole new world to get into -- not something I could handle. Oh my.
zygo wrote:Breaking the click action of the tray applet occured in the previous PP after using Dougle's NetWiz.

Suggestion: If Frisbee is installed then the event manager splash needs to be changed or removed.

The network menu now has only 2 items 'setup networking' and 'network status information'.
More to fix in network_tray. Thank you, zygo.

gcmartin

#191 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote: ... About the above bug report, there is misinformation.

... is that I have 2 ethernet interfaces (yes I know this isn't common but it's still a bug). When I connect with SNS or Network Wizard on the seconf interface (eth1) all works as expected and I get blinking icons. ...
I have similar configuration issue as reported by 01Micko. Seem confused in understanding that there are occasion when a user would have 2 LAN cards for any various reasons. It seems to surface when eth1 is the primary (LAN) connection when either eth0 is unplugged or the router/switch is turned off.

Kirk fixed/addressed this issue in FATDOG5.1 but ever so often he forgets and has to go back to resolve when moving from release to release. This suggest that the approach requires momentary thought.

Here to help.

01micko

#192 Post by 01micko »

Hello Richard,

Yes it's a bit complicated to get the right interface if you have 2 eth cards.

I'd be happy enough if you left it alone as frisbee is designed for wifi, We can document it as a "known issue".

On another matter. On a clean install with frisbee installed the icons were failing to switch. I traced the problem to /etc/frisbee/.signal_mode failing to be created.

For the sake of getting it working for my just released slacko beta I hacked ~/Startup/network_tray_modeset.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#Added by frisbee-1.x package.
[ -f /etc/frisbee/.frisbee_mode ] || exit
[ ! -f /etc/frisbee/.signal_mode ] && touch /etc/frisbee/.signal_mode #added
sleep 0.5
exec frisbee_mode_enable
Of course this only works on X-restart/reboot but like I said, for the sake of getting it working.

Also, I'm sure you are aware I have to adjust frisbee each time for slacko as the dhcpcd hooks are in a different path. (/usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks). This is a slackware anomaly which I believe will be adjusted in the future as 64 bit slackware uses the same dhcpcd-hooks path as debian/ubuntu.

Cheers

rerwin

#193 Post by rerwin »

01micko wrote:On a clean install with frisbee installed the icons were failing to switch. I traced the problem to /etc/frisbee/.signal_mode failing to be created.

For the sake of getting it working for my just released slacko beta I hacked ~/Startup/network_tray_modeset.

#!/bin/sh
#Added by frisbee-1.x package.
[ -f /etc/frisbee/.frisbee_mode ] || exit
[ ! -f /etc/frisbee/.signal_mode ] && touch /etc/frisbee/.signal_mode #added
sleep 0.5
exec frisbee_mode_enable
Of course this only works on X-restart/reboot but like I said, for the sake of getting it working.
The signal_mode flag is set by initialization script 'frisbee' before it does anything else. That should occur even before network_tray_modeset runs. The flag is set if a particular icon is present that appears only in network_tray-2.6. The telltale icon is networkdead-eth.xpm. You probably changed its name to end in .svg, so it looks like network_tray cannot handle signals. I have changed the test to be for networkdead-eth*.*, so it will work with any flavor of icon (or link) of that name. It is in version 20130227, here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 092#684092

However, that logic was added only because of the possibility that network_tray-2.5 would remain the official version while 2.6 (by some name/version) would be a user/developer option. If 2.6 continues to be the official version after release of precise 5.5, we might consider removing that flag altogether, if we don't need to consider n_t-2.5.

01micko

#194 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:The signal_mode flag is set by initialization script 'frisbee' before it does anything else. That should occur even before network_tray_modeset runs. The flag is set if a particular icon is present that appears only in network_tray-2.6. The telltale icon is networkdead-eth.xpm. You probably changed its name to end in .svg, so it looks like network_tray cannot handle signals. I have changed the test to be for networkdead-eth*.*, so it will work with any flavor of icon (or link) of that name. It is in version 20130227, here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 092#684092

However, that logic was added only because of the possibility that network_tray-2.5 would remain the official version while 2.6 (by some name/version) would be a user/developer option. If 2.6 continues to be the official version after release of precise 5.5, we might consider removing that flag altogether, if we don't need to consider n_t-2.5.
My bad :oops:

To address the other concern what about this mod to the pinstall.sh? (the path to hooks for slacko)

#!/bin/sh
# move hooks for slacko paths
if [ "$(pwd)" != "/" ];then
 . etc/DISTRO_SPECS #rel path
 if [ "$DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME" = "slacko14" ];then #specific to 14, will likely change in 14+
  [ -d lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/ ] &&\
  mv lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99* usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks/
  rm -r lib/dhcpcd
 fi
else
 rm -f etc/frisbee/.frisbee_mode
 rm -f etc/frisbee/.notify_mode
 rm -f etc/frisbee/.signal_mode
 . /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
 if [ "$DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME" = "slacko14" ];then
  [ -d /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/ ] &&\
  mv /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99* /usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks/
  rm -r /lib/dhcpcd
 fi
fi
Thanks

rerwin

#195 Post by rerwin »

Re: pinstall mod for slacko 14.
Why wouldn't links in usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks/ to the "99-" files in lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/ work?

Precise has a link, /usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks to lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks. What is wrong with that technique?

01micko

#196 Post by 01micko »

Nothing wrong with that. Should work. The older package I got though didn't have them, does your latest? (Guess I'll find out, grabbing now!)

EDIT: No, no links!

rerwin

#197 Post by rerwin »

The "hooks" link is already in precise. Could you simply create one in slacko and be done with it? I assume you already make some mods to it; that could be one more.

Or are there other things in the libexec directory, so that you cannot have both the directory and a link to the other? If that is the case, I could check for that situation and create the "99-" links in the pinstall script. Or you could make them for slacko-14.

01micko

#198 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:The "hooks" link is already in precise. Could you simply create one in slacko and be done with it? I assume you already make some mods to it; that could be one more.

Or are there other things in the libexec directory, so that you cannot have both the directory and a link to the other? If that is the case, I could check for that situation and create the "99-" links in the pinstall script. Or you could make them for slacko-14.
Yes.. all the dhcpcd hooks exist for the dhcpcd package in there, the links would need to be individual.

Thanks for understanding, and no, I don't mod frisbee at all, hence the silly bug with svg, only the icon, and only because I don't like Barry's "world " icon.. petty? Yes! :lol:

rerwin

#199 Post by rerwin »

I meant that you modify slacko, so could add the links. But, if you don't want to do that, just tell me and I will update the pinstall script.

01micko

#200 Post by 01micko »

It's ok, I can add it to my general pinstall that takes care of other stuff. The only concern I have is for retrofitting for slacko-5.4 (and 5.3x) users, unless of course it's no trouble to you.

As I said, by the next slackware it looks like they are moving to the debian path (/lib/dhcpcd) anyway, so just a note for older slacko users would suffice, or a I can post a separate script to take care of it for them and you could link to it. I may even do it at the top of the 5.4 bugs thread.

I know the amount of work you have put into this, especially the icon, and it is very much appreciated. I know blokes like cthisbear will appreciate it because he recommends to everyone to install frisbee.