gxine and flash plugin bugs

Please post any bugs you have found

gxine and flash plugin bugs

#1 Post by Guest »

I'm having trouble with a few things in Puppy 1.04. When I go to a site with any kind of flash the browser hangs up and becomes stuck. The only way to close it has been to kill the process. I'm also having similar problems with gxine. When I try and play a CD it gets part way into the intro and then stops, again without being able to close it normally. This also happens if gxine is launched from the browser.

I'm going to try starting from a new pupfile and see if there's any change.

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

That was me above, forgot to log in. I rebooted with a new pupfile and am having the exact same problems. The browser problems are also affecting Firefox, which I have installed on a seperate partition and was not touched by the upgrade process. There's definately some kind of problem here.

My hardware info is below.

Compaq Presario SR1330NX
processor Athlon XP (B) 3200+ 2.2 GHz: 400 MHz Front side bus
Chipset Via KM400A
Motherboard Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A7V8X-LA
Compaq motherboard name: Kelut-GL6E

Don't know if that helps. I may go back to 1.03 temporarily until I can get it all resolved.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

i've used the forum chat, which is Flash isn't it? ...no problems for me.

I'm playing a CD with Gxine right now... okay so far.
...how long does the CD play for you before it locks up?

Do CDs play with ripperX?

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Barry,

DVD's only play for about 5-10 seconds before stopping. I discovered that if I minimize the window it just closes. I'll have to check on whether cd's play with ripperx and get back to you later. I started with a fresh pupfile and put 1.03 back, all above mentioned problems gone. I'm running a server so I don't want to shut it down until late tonight. Everyone else is raving about 1.04, so I'm guessing it's got something top do with my own hardware and not a widespread problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nathan

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

Flash seems to work ok with Mozilla, Firefox 1.0.5, and Firefox-DeerPark Alpha 1

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Try one of the other dotpup media players. I have found gxine works but as a general rule I find the redundancy in Puppy (several programs for each function) rather useful - I just swap to another program. Yes it is useful to find and isolate a cause. Yes it is fun to play a DVD

:)

PS. Finding Firefox 1.0.5 better than 1.0.4 (which seemed slower than previous version)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

Barry,

To finally answer your question, I tried 1.04 again with a new pupfile. Here's my results.

Gxine only gets a couple of seconds into a CD or DVD before stopping. It then "skips" ie sounds just like an old skipping record. This is the same behavior that the flash player exhibits. Ripperx will not play the CD either. I also tried cdmio and had no luck with that either.

Same Puppy1.04 live CD works flawlessly on my laptop. This leads me to believe that my problem is definately hardware related. I've gone back to 1.03 on the troublesome computer but I'm willing to dig if you want to find the problem. I really do like the changes and additions in 1.04 and had a lot of fun playing around with it on the lappy.

Nathan

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

It's weird, I don't know what to suggest.
It will be interesting if anyone else gets this bug, then we could compare the hardware, maybe isolate the culprit.