Turn off dead key mode on keyboard settings?

Using applications, configuring, problems
darrenforster99

Turn off dead key mode on keyboard settings?

#1 Post by darrenforster99 »

Recently my puppy linux was all working fine, until suddenly it messed up and it turned the entire screen like a green-screen colour, except the mouse still being white.

To fix this I tried everything and nothing would work pfix=clean pfix=purge, etc - nothing at all, so in the end the only solution was to delete the SFS files from the hard drive (first backing up anything I had in there), and re-install Puppy from fresh from the CD.

Since re-installing Puppy from the CD from fresh I've had a major problem with the keyboard.

I set up the keyboard in exactly the same way I had done previously, setting it to UK GB settings and everything (as I live in the UK), but something went wrong.

Every time I try and type some of the special characters I have to remember to press space for example

'
"
^
~

if I forget to press space I sometimes get other foreign characters like ä or â, ś, ñ depending on which character I type next, or if I press the same key again I might get weird quotes like ´ or ¨.

I searched on the net and it would appear I've got dead keys enabled. I don't know how I've done this but it's a pain in the backside (especially as sometimes I switch between this computer and one running Windows which doesn't do this so I need to remember each time).

I've looked through the keyboard settings and on the internet for a way to make this revert to the old method.

On the internet it refers to it as a dead key mode which allows international typing easily, but I only speak English and only type English so I have no need for it.

I looked through the settings and the only reference I can find to dead key moe is in XkbConfigutation in the Layout Variants options which gives me two choices - either

1: intl gb: international (with Dead keys)
2: dvorak gb: dvorak

Now I know what Dvorak is so I don't want that, but I can't see a setting for intl gb: international (without Dead keys).

Where is this option, or how do I turn off the dead keys mode?

L18L

Re: Turn off dead key mode on keyboard settings?

#2 Post by L18L »

darrenforster99 wrote:Where is this option, or how do I turn off the dead keys mode?
Maybe you should try to turn on Layout Variant nodeadkeys :?:
Attachments
nodeadkeys.png
(38.22 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

npierce

#3 Post by npierce »

Does this text appear at the top of the dialog box that lists the variants?
You are currently using the following variants:
intl gb: international (with dead keys)
If so, you do want to choose:

1: intl gb: international (with Dead keys)

Doing so will remove it.

After clicking OK, don't forget to click Yes (in the XKB Configuration Manager dialog) to activate new settings.