How to Configure menu.lst

Booting, installing, newbie
Phabbits

How to Configure menu.lst

#1 Post by Phabbits »

Hello everyone. I am attempting to install BoxPup 4.3.1 on an old laptop, the laptop has no cd rom and can't boot from usb. I have a ide to usb adapter which I am using to connect the laptop's internal hdd to another desktop pc witch I am booting from the livecd. I was able to partition the hdd with GParted and I placed the puppy files in the partition. I do have grub running on the hdd and am trying to configure the menu.lst without the universal installer. I do not want to use the universal installer because it say the laptop will have to boot from usb if I do. Any Thoughts? Thanks for any replies and all replies are appreciated.

raffy

menu

#2 Post by raffy »

See here

hd0,0 means first hard disk, first partition and boxpup is the name of folder containing the boxpup files (if no folder, just use / )
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Mercedes350se

#3 Post by Mercedes350se »

1. When you partitioned the drive did you make more than one partition?

2. Did you make the first partition bootable?

3. Did you install puppy in the first partition?

4. Full install or frugal?

Assuming yes to 2# and 3# and full install then you should have this file on the laptop hard drive,

/boot/grub/menu.lst

Using the LiveCD amend this file to something like

Code: Select all

# Start GRUB global section
  timeout 15
  color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title "What ever you like here"
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
Check that vmlinuz does exist in /boot though.

Boot the laptop and note any error message(s)

Phabbits

#4 Post by Phabbits »

:D Thanks for the replies! And sorry I have should have entered this info on the first post.
I first installed Opensuse on the HDD hoping it would boot, but then I figured out my laptop could not boot from USB and that Opensuse would not of worked to well anyway because the laptop is so old. So I deleted the Opensuse partition (partition #1) and left the swap (partition #0). Then I created a new EXT-4 partition over the Opensuse partition and flagged it as bootable. Then I tried to extract the files from puppy-431.iso and then put them on the partition #1 within the folder boxpup. And I used Grub Bootloader Config to get grub working. Finaly I modified the menu.lst like this,

title BoxPup 4.13 (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boxpup/vmlinuz psubdir=boxpup pkeys=us
  initrd /boxpup/initrd.gz
But I got an error when booting that grub could not find pup-431.sfs. I hope this makes sense.

Tote

#5 Post by Tote »

Hi Phabbits, I don't use Grub, I use Grub4dos, so I can't help you with that, but on your menu list you're showing Boxpup 4.13, is that right, or should it be 4.3.1.?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Phabbits wrote:Then I created a new EXT-4 partition over the Opensuse partition and flagged it as bootable.
I don't think that Puppy 431 recognizes ext4. Use ext3 instead.

Phabbits

#7 Post by Phabbits »

Tote wrote:Hi Phabbits, I don't use Grub, I use Grub4dos, so I can't help you with that, but on your menu list you're showing Boxpup 4.13, is that right, or should it be 4.3.1.?
Yes it is suppose to be 4.3.1 sorry about that.

Phabbits

#8 Post by Phabbits »

Is the boxpup folder suppose to be in the boot folder that Grub bootloader created?

If so then why am I getting error 15: file not found when grub tries to boot it?

Is there someting wrong with my menu.lst? Here is what is in it,

title BoxPup 4.3.1 (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boxpup/vmlinuz psubdir=boxpup pkeys=us
  initrd /boxpup/initrd.gz 
Thanks for all replies.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your original error was about pup-431.sfs not being found. But now your Error 15 refers specifically to the files vmlinuz and initrd.gz. Which is it?

In either case, I would recommend that you reformat using ext3 instead of ext4.
Is the boxpup folder suppose to be in the boot folder that Grub bootloader created?
No.

Phabbits

#10 Post by Phabbits »

Sorry Rcrsn I used to have the could not find pup-431.sfs but then I put the boxpup folder in boot and got error 15: file not found so I moved the boxpup folder back and changed it ext3 and IT WORKED! :D Thank-you. I guess the problem was simply that it was ext4 not ext3. Thank-you all for your input!

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

bash-3.00# grep -i ext4 /etc/modules/DOTconfig-K2.6.30.5-01SEPT09-TICKLESS-SMP
CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
# CONFIG_EXT4DEV_COMPAT is not set
CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR=y
# CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY is not set

Puppy 4.3 Grub-Legacy should support ext4 , at least in Macpup Foxy3 and Opera2 it does .