[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Monsie

JWM Desktop Updates to V679

#21 Post by Monsie »

scsijon, Joe, et al,

Just to let you know that it turns out that I am seeing some windows partially hidden off the bottom of the screen... and it's happening when I am using ROX. For example: when I right-click on a file to look at its properties, the new window that appears is sometimes hidden.

Note that I saying: sometimes because this behavior is not happening consistently. This would seem to make this scenario difficult to troubleshoot... I am at a loss to try to explain why this is happening only some of the time... Further, note that I am using V679 in Wary 5.3

In another example, as I was about to make a backup of my savefile, the dialog box that opened up to confirm the copy operation was partially hidden below the tray.

In my testing, I tried adding Joe's tweak to .jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<Tray ... layer="normal">
</Tray> 
It did change the layer so that the tray was now underneath the pop-up dialog box, but the bottom part of the pane was still hidden, off the screen --but over, not under the tray. So, I removed the tweak as I prefer that the windows slide under the tray rather than over it if it means part of the pane is going to be off the screen anyway.

At this point, I want to emphasize that I am only seeing this behavior when I am using ROX... and for whatever reason it is not occurring all of the time. Further, I would welcome others (especially Wary users) to test this scenario in order to replicate my findings or not.

Thanks,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

scsijon

#22 Post by scsijon »

@monsie, I have reopened the problem and added your comments, I find I 'can' duplicate the same problem!

@all, I have found problems with version 686 and so won't build another pet until all fixed however v679 seems to be ok for most things.

scsijon

jwm-690 for joe

#23 Post by scsijon »

pic for joe to make sure were all talking about the same thing
Attachments
jwm690.jpg
(155.73 KiB) Downloaded 1311 times

sc0ttman

#24 Post by sc0ttman »

Just to chime in with some useless opinions, as I haven't yet tried the latest JWM, am very keen to do so:

I LOVE JWM, Akita uses it for many things, perhaps more than almost any other pup .. Akita uses JWM for desktop drive icons (optionally) ..

I'm still really hoping that the `jwm -reload` or similar can be made to apply to <Tray> and <TrayButton> items... Then I can have desktop drive icons that dont need `jwm -restart` to update the icons and 'exec:' actions...

Or a `jwm -reload` that'll just work with any of the included files added in jwmrc, such as <Include>/root/.jwmrc-drives</Include> etc

Obviously, transparent background on <Tray> items would also be fantastic, but I'm not expecting that to be desired by anyone, or ever implemented..

Also, for me, on various pups, JWM sometimes has problems switching between fullscreen and back, when changing resolutions, where other WMs do not - after the switch to fullscreen and change of resolution, the game/programs window is not stretched, and parts of the desktop are still visible in fullscreen, around the program.. I don't know enough to be more specific, but loading 'Savage' and some 8bit/16-bit emulators tends to produce this..

I also use dual screen setups all the time, my TV hooked up sa the 2nd screen, on the right...

These are the things I plan to test in the latest JWM..

And I could also do with fewer layers, I think 3 to 5 is enough.. Again, don't get me wrong, I love JWM, and hope it continues to improve, as I definitely plan to continue using it.. :D
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

scsijon

jwm-691

#25 Post by scsijon »

@monsie, your problem has been found and fixed in Version 691 (yes we are that far up).

I will build it and test over the next few days, however joe has still two puppy related problems so I may not release it if he fixes one of them in the meantime. He really is working hard on JWM at present with sometimes two version releases of fixes in one day.

The other will be a headache for him (and us) and take some time as I am getting what I believe, is a 'very' ocasional loss of use of the app's config files being read when a 'heavy duty' app starts. This means the app starts on it's default config and not the user configured version. Problem is, so far to fix it I have found that it needs a reboot and it seems to affect some (random) other apps started afterwards. Dropping to the shell and out of X doesn't fix it. It was ok with V679, but not with V686 and i'm chasing back for him at present to when it first starts.

UPDATE: I have built V691 and done some basic testing, and it seems that fixing one problem has also fixed at least another major problem if not both of them. I shall continue testing today and this evening, and unless anything serious appears I will update the topic by tomorrow morning with the new jwm2-691-w5c.pet for others to test and report on (please) as I'm back to work in the afternoon so won't be available till tuesday afternoon next to follow up. I will leave v679's pet there in case it's needed as a backstep. The later built and tested ones between were of varying states of being problematic.

Monsie

JWM Desktop Updates to V679

#26 Post by Monsie »

Thanks, scsijon,

I appreciate your help and (obviously) the work that Joe has been putting in lately... he really has been busy with a whack of new builds!

I'm sure I speak for others when I say that having these bug fixes and improvements to the window manager is "huge" for Puppy... :D

I look forward to testing the newest build when you get the Pet uploaded.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

scsijon

V691 available

#27 Post by scsijon »

Ok, I have uploaded the new version 691, and it seems to have fixed all our outstanding problems. It's on the first page!

The Thunderbird Mail Program still has problems when in 1024x768 and set for Maximize. It can still loose it's bottom and right edge off the screen, however it's ok if the screensize is 1280x1024 so the problem belongs to the application not JWM. I have not found another with the problem (including ROX).

Could we have a good number of testers please with a report back so I can 'sign us off' with joewing.

I have left version 679 available in case anyone needs to step back as I don't expect to be available again til tuesday afternoon or wednesday next week.

@sc0ttman, both new ones have only three layers. To quote Joe:
With the latest snapshots, the number of user-configurable layers have been reduced to three ("above", "normal", and "below"). In addition, there is now a configuration option (the "border" attribute on the "TrayButton" tag) to set whether tray buttons have a border rather than the rule where tray buttons that are smaller than 48 pixels are flat. There are other changes as well that affect the appearance slightly.
And, the tray in puppy is an extra config file, rather than being an internal part of the .jwmrc file. It should be being updated when -reload is activated. Could you carefully confirm it's still not working in the latest version before I give Joe another problem. Also, if it's not working, try issuing a jwm -restart after the jwm -reload, and let me know if that fixes it.
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#28 Post by OscarTalks »

I have compiled the JWM 691 binary from the source code and one thing I have found is with this SlimBoat browser in Wheezy (and also in Slacko 5403 which has a recent JWM out of the box).

If I maximise the window and then close, then open again it is offset. If I reduce down then maximise again it fills the screen properly.

Not sure if this is a bug with the app or with JWM.
Oscar in England

scsijon

#29 Post by scsijon »

@Oscar, could you please use the components in mine and not just a raw build at the moment, as there are a few changes in the config files that could be effecting you. You may also need to do a fixmenus and jwm -restart so your menu file is updated.

I am not getting problems with SlimBoat in wary/racy, mage2, archpup or an earlier precise which I have been testing on as I have been looking at it ad a firefox replacement when the system has qt4/5 installed.

I have yet to reinstall my slacko after accidentally :oops: deleting it's directory so I have yet to test, and I am downloading the latest Precise now to test on it when I'm back early next week. And mick is keeping slacko up with my releases after testing, so, at the moment, slacko users should be ok.

I shall download a wheezy when I find one and see if I can duplicate the problem. EDIT: Oscar, where did you get your puppy wheezy from, I can't find a url for one?

?Is it just that one window shifting, or is the whole screen moving offset? And where did you get your Slimboat and what is it's version please.

OscarTalks

#30 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello scsijon,

Booted Live CD of latest Precise beta pfix=ram then installed your JWM 691 .pet and ran fixmenus and jwm -restart, also restarted X.

Then installed my SlimBoat .pet which is the latest 1.1.24 tarball with Ubuntu Precise gstreamer libs.

Will try to attach a screeny of the maximised window which opens displaced downwards and slightly to the right also. The window button indicates that it is maximised (or should be).

This positioning error doesn't happen in the old original JWM.

How did you get SlimBoat to work in wary/racy? I thought it was missing the needed version of a core lib.

Pemasu's Wheezy thread is in the Puppy Projects section:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80546
Oscar in England

sc0ttman

#31 Post by sc0ttman »

testing JWM 691 briefly, on akita 14... your pet clobbers our jwm themes and such.. but anyways... looks good ;)

1. I'm using opera 11.01 and the tray icon is not swallowed, it is in the top left corner of the desktop, (should be bottom right, next to the time!).. this *occasionally* happened with older JWMs (shinobars builds and others before it...)..

freememapplet, deadbeef, pmusic and puptray work fine in the tray, as normal.. maybe opera is at fault.. anyone tested opera 12? other large tray apps?

2. also, if i maximise opera, then drag or double click the title bar to unmaximise (but it remains full size of screen), then do `jwm -restart`, the title bar of the opera window moves above the screen ... it happens often after, until you manually move the window away from the top of the screen...

this same 'maximise and top of screen' problem also happens with geany.. not tested with other programs..

3. sometimes i still have to click the 'show desktop' button twice for it to work ... cannot find the cause or reproduce it reliably...

4. `jwm -restart ` causes retrovol to disappear from the tray, other apps in tray unaffected... prob retrovol at fault..

5. `jwm -restart ` causes some windows to lose their settings: whether they're folded or not, thier position, minimised or not, etc... but I think i do see improvements in keeping the minimised windows still minimised, after `jwm -restart`

i'm using 1024x768x32, tested with dual screen setup and without, which made no difference to the above stuff..

BTW, I love the fact I can drag a window from 1 desktop to another in JWM... Use it often..

EDIT: A *couple* of X restarts and the Opera tray icon is now swallowed correctly... Go figure..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Monsie

JWM Desktop Updates to V691

#32 Post by Monsie »

scsijon,

I'm testing V691 After running fixmenus and jwm-restart at the terminal following the installation, I thought I lost the tray for a moment, then realized it was on "autohide" so I reset it to "off". I'm guessing that you compiled jwm with this particular configuration? Other than that, I had to re-select my theme, and also re-edit _root_.jwmrc to get my custom category for Science back on the main menu. This was expected. Further, I was pleased to see that my custom keyboard settings were retained in jwmrc-personal and so for example: my "Prt Scr" key (Print Screen) still works.

All in all, it's looking great! I am not seeing any more partially hidden windows or dialog boxes in ROX. In some cases, the windows do meet the edge of the screen, and, it is over the tray, (layer change) but again, nothing is hidden. In other cases, the windows only meet the top edge of the tray. I am not sure why there is inconsistent behavior here... maybe just some fine-tuning is needed still. My thoughts are that any window or dialog box should meet the top edge of the tray rather than go over it --otherwise, it might be more difficult to access minimized applications from the tray if those apps are indeed obscured by other windows on the desktop.

I am still seeing the following in /tmp/xerrs.log....

Code: Select all

JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[10]: invalid tag in Active: Corner
JWM: warning: /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme[16]: invalid tag in Inactive: Corner
Usually, I just delete the offending lines in jwmrc-theme and save my changes. It's my understanding that these tags are no longer used, and if that's the case, maybe this can be removed from the source-code.

Again, I like the fine sharp edges of the main menu and submenu. Maybe it's my imagination, but some of the menu icons seem to be clearer; detail is more visible :) In all, this version is such a noticeable improvement, I will be keeping it on my desktop for the time being.

Monsie

session

re: JWM v691

#33 Post by session »

Usability--opaque window dragging, menu navigation--is faster than ever; according to Top, every JWM restart increases memory footprint by about 1mb.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

Re: re: JWM v691

#34 Post by scsijon »

session wrote:Usability--opaque window dragging, menu navigation--is faster than ever; according to Top, every JWM restart increases memory footprint by about 1mb.
I have put a issue into jwm for joe to deal with on the memory leak as I could duplicate it.

Could you please explain "Useability--opaque window dragging" and if it's a problem or just a comment as I don't understand it?

@monsie
Thanks, it looks like I have used some of the old config files by error, I shall have to check it out and fix what's in the buildset again.

You want to see how clear the menu icons are when the screen matrix is 2048x1536 on a 20" screen if the iconset is goodenough, it's one of the changes joe did a few versions ago.

@OscarTalks, I have an almost full set of mageia 1 packages,when I need to I cheat, I add them on a frugal wary development partition until something works and I can test it, then just blow the savefile away and i'm good again to test on a clean partition.

@ ALL
I have a new version to build and test before release when I am off-shift next tuesday pm. You will need to be patient I'm afraid although by then he may have a further upgrade for me.
I have also a couple if puppy jwm scripts to look at and fix again at the same time, somehow I built with earlier ones when I did a 'step-back' because of problems found with jwm, my apologies.

[s]I think I may build two test versions for you to test with, one for upgrading puppy's that have not been 'played with' and to use with woof when building, and one that contains the minimum of changes for testing only, but when I release the version I think there should only be one again to avoid confusion.[/s]

EDIT no, after thinking and some discussions, there will only be one, and built with wary. I shall build and internally test tomorrow, if ok, it should appear for you to test the next day and if no serious problems arrive by the weekend I shall build a release copy.

thanks
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 26 Feb 2013, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.

session

#35 Post by session »

It's an interpolated positive comment. :)
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

v692 and jwm-reload

#36 Post by scsijon »

Just a short note that version 692 will not appear as it has a few esoteric screen problems that needs to be sorted out that will cause joe I think some headaches.

Consider the existing 691 as safe to use and a RC quality build. I shall most likely put a release pet of this version out there by early next week when I have checked and fixed the scripts.

Also of general note is that after running fixmenus we should be using jwm -reload and not jwm -restart.

01micko

#37 Post by 01micko »

scsijon

I have the scripts already fixed (and enhanced). IIRC there is a replacement template that fixes the new layer syntax too in the package, (below,normal, above).

Package:

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... 130213.pet

Cheers!

EDIT: I may change the name to jwmconfig3 so that Barry can include it in woof and the woofer can choose.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

scsijon

#38 Post by scsijon »

I have built a final release version of jwm2-691 and removed the previous versions.

jwm is now in two pets (found in the first post on page1).

The first pet, jwm2-691-w5c.pet contains only the core jwm component and docs and for someone upgrading should be enough for those upgrading from Version 679 or later.

The second pet, jwm2-config-691.pet contains only the configuration components and will be needed for anyone either upgrading from a version pre jwm2-679 or working from woof.

Alternately to using the second pet, you can instead use 01micko's jwmconfig2-130213.pet mentioned with a link in the post above which works as well and has some additional functions which I do like.

When we go forward again, will depend on joe having time to sort out further problems. I do not recomend anyone building jwm-692 as it has problems with windows and scroll bars across a number of applications and puppy versions. In some cases it even cuts sections of the window off in the manner of taking a pair of scissors to a page, or only allows reductions to full screen size. I will of course continue to work with him to test and build against puppy until the next step is ready in which case this thread will again be used.

EDIT: 6 Mar - Joe has just notified me of a new jwm-697 fix for the screen oversizing. I'll build and test this afternoon.
EDIT2: 8 Mar - the last didn't work but about to build jwm-700.

There is also a couple of enhancement requests I have put in to joe for addition to jwm.

a) when only one virtual window, limit the app window to the virtual window so it doesn't totally dissapear off screen, with alternatives being, that no-part of the app window can be off screen, or only part of it can slide off.

b) when multiple virtual windows, you can slide a app window across so part of it goes into the adjacent virtual window and it is actually visable there rather than only having an app window appearing in one virtual window.

Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?

scsijon

jwm2-700

#39 Post by scsijon »

I have attached on the first page a jwm2-700 for testing only as it seems to have fixed the problem and I would like a few extra testers to see if it really has!

You may also note that I have set a dependancy of mick's jwmconfig2 (2 messages above) against this unless you have already been testing or have installed jwm2-691 and it's config file.

Also check my note at the bottom of my last message above, for enhancement requests, while joe has time to add a few for us.

anikin

#40 Post by anikin »

scsijon wrote:Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?
Please, get rid of this new, rectangular "crosshair" mouse pointer. I can't tell you, how amateurishly out of place and ultimately superflous it looks on the desktop! What was wrong with the simple, old cursor, that dictated acceptance of this novelty?