Unanswered request to help physically impaired

Using applications, configuring, problems
mikeslr

Unanswered request to help physically impaired

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Guys,

On February 25, 2013, stardard7452 posted a request for help on the Puppy Projects subforum under the title Puppy Accessibility –Super Good cause.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84617

What he seeks is an onscreen keyboard that would enable quadriplegics/people with cerebral palsy/motor control skills to type on their own wheel-chair portable laptops “on a single switch basis

mikeslr

Building Onboard -- "Easy" Workaround

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Guys,

Lots of people looking, nobody seems to be doing. But Puppy is a do-acracy, and I'm a tinkerer. So what the hell. The worst that could happen --having first created a Protected SaveFile-- is that it wouldn't work. Thanks mostly to the genious of jejy69 and RSH. RSH created the PaDS pet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7ea00e07ce, which --I was happy to discover-- can not only use pets and SFSes to create SFSes, but also can use debs for that purpose. Saved a lot of manual labor decompressing debs and then combining them. And jejy60, who created lxpup-aptget-test, a PrecisePup with a functional synaptic package manager:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download
So I fired up lxpup-aptget-test, started synaptic, marked onboard for installation, but selected "download" only.Had to use pfind to locate where the debs went. They turned up in /var (I think) /cache/apt from which I moved them to a temporary folder on Linux Ext4 mnt/home, and ran PaDS to create an SFS which, to my surprise, worked. With perhaps one slight problem I'm sure I can overcome. When I loaded the SFS, it gave me the choice of running the app itself, or the config file. I ran the config file and set the keyboard to always be on screen. Unfortunately, while /usr/share/application desktop files were created neither the config file nor Onboard, itself, created Menu entries. So I had to start Onboard by clicking its desktop file. And, although I can hide the keyboard, I don't know how to turn it off.
I've attached 3 photos: One of the debs downloaded, but I should mention that Onboard requires python, and pfind indicates some of those dependencies had already been built into jejy69's lxpup-aptget-test. The second is the keyboard as it appeared, unhidden, on my desktop. And the third is the dependency list of GOK. Note these appear to be for Ubuntu Maverick. I could not find one for Unbutu precise-pangolin. For those who might not know --such as perhaps Stardard7452-- the Lupu & Lucid pups were built by playdaz using binaries from Maverick, while the Precise Puppies were built using binaries from Pangolin. However, its been my experience that apps which run under Lupu/Lucid will almost always run under Precice-pups. So that's my next project: to see if GOK can run under Precise, or Lupu, or jejy69's lxpup-aptget-test. But I really hope that someone who is more than a tinkerer would take a stab a gok, and also rebuild the SFS so that it would include all the necessary python debs and not be dependent on those jejy69 included. Figuring out which they are is REALLY BEYOND MY ABILITY.
P.S. If my sometime unreliable memory serves, one way to create an installable pet from a loadable SFS is to mount the SFS (by clicking it); copy everything in the mounted SFS into a different folder named something like "onboard-0.1" which folder is on a Linux formatted partition, and open a terminal at the same level as that folder and type "dir2pet onboard-0.1" then follow the directions. dir2pet requires that there be a version number: therefore, the "0.1."

Some of the foregoing is for stardard7452's benefit, should he have to try this himself.

mikesLr
Attachments
dependencies.png
gok dependencies, in addition to gok_2.30.0-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
Required debs.png
debs required to build onboard --but note, Lxpup already had python
(16.46 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
onboard.png
Onboard running on Lxpup-aptget-test
(107.95 KiB) Downloaded 837 times

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

cool beans, I've PM him and replied to his post. Did you get GOK working on puppy? If so could you provide a package so I do not have to hunt down all the software you found needed to support this?

Ted Dog

Using the camera as a mouse

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... mousetrap/

found this researching helpful tools, sounds so cool I may have to find a ubuntu iso I downloaded already....

Using your head as a mouse, genius. !!!!!!

mikeslr

Mousetrap -- nice find

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Ted Dog,

Mousetrap is a nice find. I'll look into it and gok tomorrow. It's almost 2 AM here and I've reached the point where neither my mind nor fingers do the walking. But I did create a pet of onboard. Although its only about 600 kbs, that's beyond the Forum's new 256 limit. So I can't attached it. I'll look for a host tomorrow as well.

mikesLr

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Now you guys have two discussions about the same subject going on in the forum. Please decide which thread you like the best and stick with it. :) I'll lock the other one.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

Just for your information, I just saw a post of someone requesting an on screen keyboard and the post contains a PET and library files.
You can find it here.
And if I remember correctly, Puppy has an option for a keyboard mouse that used the numeric keypad.
So with the two combined, and using the numeric keypad on the screen keyboard, it just may be what you are seeking.

mikeslr

Please continue discussion on standard7452 thread

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Please continue discussions at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84617

mikesLr