HP Color Laserjet CP2025dn not installing

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
horhota

HP Color Laserjet CP2025dn not installing

#1 Post by horhota »

I've searched this forum on the model# - 2025, gone thru the 14 pages of the printers section, and the 13 pages of How to install printers but I haven't found any info on an HP Color Laserjet CP2025dn. I'm running Slacko 5.3 and the closest I've come is using another model# and CUPS+Gutenprint5.2.7(en). That will print test pages and some black and white docs but doesn't terminate properly(printer seems to want to print doc 2x). I've loaded the f002zjs-hotplug-i486.pet and the foo-hplip-3.0.pet but none of the new definitions that show up in CUPS match the model or work at all. I don't know if foo2xxx_r220909-0.0-i486 would have anything but can't find it anywhere to download.. I found one web site that had some stuff on HP printers but it all pertained to "regular" linux(Ubuntu, Debian etc) and had nothing related to Puppy. So...does anyone have any experience with this printer or suggestions on how to install it?
Thanks.

rcrsn51

Re: HP Color Laserjet CP2025dn not installing

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

horhota wrote:I've searched this forum on the model# - 2025, gone thru the 14 pages of the printers section, and the 13 pages of How to install printers but I haven't found any info on an HP Color Laserjet CP2025dn.
Did you install the hplip_print-3.12.10a.pet from "How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy?" It supports your CP 2025dn.

horhota

#3 Post by horhota »

Thank you, rcrsn51. Your knowledge always amazes me. When I read your how to install.... post, I didn't think that the basic printer drivers in the hplip_print-3.12..pet would include this printer with all its features. So I kept looking for something more specific. However after I loaded that hplip_print-3.12.10a pet, the printer works. Thanks again for your quick and effective response!

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is something else to try. This printer appears to be Postscript-capable, so it only needs a PPD file.

Install the PET below, then delete and re-install your printer. CUPS will list it as an HP Color LaserJet CP2020 Series with Duplexer Postscript, and will give you a larger set of options.
Attachments
hp_color_laserjet_cp2025dn_ps_ppd-1.0.pet
(39.68 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

horhota

#5 Post by horhota »

Thanks again, rcrsn51. I did as you suggested and observed the following differences. In CUPS, the set default options screen which. with the first package, had several selections re color, duplex printing etc was empty except for a box regarding a "tray 3" not installed. I continued adding the printer and then printed a test page. With the first package, the test page printed both sides of the page but this time only 1 side was printed. However the fonts changed and I lost the bold font in the second package. I then tried to print a pdf document and found that the second package could not print duplex-both sides. The colours were quite faded compared to the first package. I found that your second package printed the page a lot sooner/quicker. With the first package, the printing light flashed for 5-10 seconds before the page came out. So, it would seem that the first package works better - slower but has better print quality/graphics. Thanks again for your help and I hope the above observations will be of use. You've helped me a number of times, much appreciated. Someday it would be nice to return the favour!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for testing this. You could have seen more options with the second PPD by clicking the blue tabs like "General" or "Color" in CUPS. But it sounds like the first driver is superior.