Unintentional Deletion

Booting, installing, newbie
bin_5

Unintentional Deletion

#1 Post by bin_5 »

I am a Precise Puppy newbie. While attempting to place an icon linking to pfind on the desktop, I inadvertently placed a pfind icon from /usr/share instead of from usr/share/applications. Of course, this icon doesn't open pfind, so I deleted it. The upshot of this is that now I cannot access or even find pfind at all. It doesn't even show in Menu/Filesystem. I used Puppy Package Manager to download a fresh copy of pfind, but it says it is already installed. How to I recover this application? Thanks in advance.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Bin- Welcome. Is there a pfind in /usr/local/bin?

*IF* this is a frugal install- boot: puppy pfix=ram and replace the files and folders in question..

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

Try looking in /initrd/pup_rw/ for a whiteout file with 'pfind' at the end of the name (it should have at least one ".wh" before the name, like ".wh.pfind". Note that the period before the name means it'll be a hidden file, so make sure you have hidden files displayed.) Try moving the .wh file to a different (temp) directory, and see if the deleted pfind returns.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Ah, Makoto.. We've heard word of this in a recent post, now haven't we?

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

Hm? I've known to look for the whiteout files for some time... the only thing is, I've always wished there was an easier way to work with them, if you want to undelete something. :D
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

bin_5

#6 Post by bin_5 »

Makoto wrote:Try looking in /initrd/pup_rw/ for a whiteout file with 'pfind' at the end of the name (it should have at least one ".wh" before the name, like ".wh.pfind". Note that the period before the name means it'll be a hidden file, so make sure you have hidden files displayed.) Try moving the .wh file to a different (temp) directory, and see if the deleted pfind returns.
I found /initrd/pup_rw/ but there is not a 'pfind' file with 'wh' before it.

bin_5

#7 Post by bin_5 »

Semme wrote:Hi Bin- Welcome. Is there a pfind in /usr/local/bin?

*IF* this is a frugal install- boot: puppy pfix=ram and replace the files and folders in question..
Not sure if my install if full or frugal. How do I check for that? I boot Puppy off a USB drive.

bin_5

#8 Post by bin_5 »

Semme wrote:Hi Bin- Welcome. Is there a pfind in /usr/local/bin?

There is not a 'pfind' in /usr/local/bin

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Open the drive on your desktop.. is it similar to mine? This is *which* Pup? Was it burned as a boot cd prior to install?
Attachments
usb-install_contents.jpg
(28.07 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

I used Puppy Package Manager to download a fresh copy of pfind, but it says it is already installed
Not sure about the PPM since it has developed rapidly , but it might be , that there is some pfind entry in /root/.packages/* that might make the PPM saying so nowerdays .

Code: Select all

grep -i pfind /root/.packages/*
in the terminal should show some entries.
Normally clicking on a pfind.pet should run the

petget /path/to/pfind.pet
script , that IfIRememberCorrectly always had installed things as it overwrites.

If you have an installation type that uses pup_ro1 instead of pup_rw as save-file mountpoint , then you might look for these .wh. files there .

To exactly determine your Puppy Version :

source /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
echo $DISTRO_NAME $DISTRO_VERSION
in console.
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

bin_5

#11 Post by bin_5 »

Semme wrote:Open the drive on your desktop.. is it similar to mine? This is *which* Pup? Was it burned as a boot cd prior to install?
Puppy Precise 5.4.3

My drive looks similar, only have 11 items.

I solved problem by reinstalling to the USB drive.

bin_5

#12 Post by bin_5 »

Karl Godt wrote:
I used Puppy Package Manager to download a fresh copy of pfind, but it says it is already installed
Not sure about the PPM since it has developed rapidly , but it might be , that there is some pfind entry in /root/.packages/* that might make the PPM saying so nowerdays .

grep -i pfind /root/.packages/*
in the terminal should show some entries.
Normally clicking on a pfind.pet should run the

petget /path/to/pfind.pet
script , that IfIRememberCorrectly always had installed things as it overwrites.

If you have an installation type that uses pup_ro1 instead of pup_rw as save-file mountpoint , then you might look for these .wh. files there .

To exactly determine your Puppy Version :

source /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
echo $DISTRO_NAME $DISTRO_VERSION
in console.
Thanks Karl, and everyone else, for your input. What I learn here is valuable. I ended up just reinstalling to the USB drive.

By the way, which screen capture utility is recommended for Puppy? I tinkered a bit with the utilities that came with the distro, but was not successful in getting a capture..

Thanks again all for your responses

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Screen capture? Find the *bomb* here. Jpg format's a good choice..