[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
scsijon

#41 Post by scsijon »

anikin wrote:
scsijon wrote:Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?
Please, get rid of this new, rectangular "crosshair" mouse pointer. I can't tell you, how amateurishly out of place and ultimately superflous it looks on the desktop! What was wrong with the simple, old cursor, that dictated acceptance of this novelty?
Sorry, but I'm not getting that, mine is an arrowhead.

If I remember correctly it's part of Pcur (under desktop) that sets that, not jwm.

anikin

#42 Post by anikin »

scsijon wrote: Sorry, but I'm not getting that, mine is an arrowhead.

If I remember correctly it's part of Pcur (under desktop) that sets that, not jwm.
Mine too is an arrowhead - it changes into rectangular when placed over x (upper right corner) to close a window. That's what drives me crazy in the new version of JWM.

scsijon

#43 Post by scsijon »

anikin wrote:Mine too is an arrowhead - it changes into rectangular when placed over x (upper right corner) to close a window. That's what drives me crazy in the new version of JWM.
Ok, I now understand, he has already a request for the ability to change the three symbols to a user defined set so I think you must await that to happen.

anikin

#44 Post by anikin »

Why are those three symbols needed at all? What purpose do they serve, except adding anxiety and confusion to a user's experience? The upper right area of a window has already the needed symbols: minimize, maximize and close window. The good, old arrowhead pointer can pretty much do it's job without having to morph into something else. Scsijon, please ask Joe to ditch the symbols and revert to the old way.

Taking this opportunity, I'd like to ask a technical question. Perhaps, you or anyone else who knows, has an answer. JWM can be compiled "icon-less", as mentioned on their site. I'm curious to know what will happen to the tray in such a case. Will it be able to display tray icons, or not.

Thank you in advance.

`f00

#45 Post by `f00 »

hi anikin :)

I'd imagine the 'no-icon' option would only apply to jwm elements (titlebars, menus, traybuttons, tasklist buttons), much like 'box wms - there'd still be text and popups. A possible 'exception' would be items that load in the systray/dock and perhaps swallowed apps (see .jwmrc-tray for if that applies or not)

Likely it would run a bit leaner (like fluxbox w/o imlib2 support)

By the way, personally I kind of like the change-of-pointer when the titlebar buttons are hovered. It lets me know a) the button is indeed active & a click will result in an action and b) that other functions can be invoked, like a r-click on the minimize button will toggle shade in these newer versions (I like multifunction titlebar buttons, :idea: m2 for max vertical and m3 for max horizontal on the max button would be nice)

If that helps, yvw - gotta test 700 now ;)

scsijon

#46 Post by scsijon »

@anikin, no, it's an all or none as I understand it.

@'f00, Nice idea, I have passed your request into his system, using centre-click for m2 and right-click for m3.
EDIT: he loves the idea, it will appear soon, maybe I shall hold off building his next test one until it appears, however 700 does still need testing to confirm the screen resizing problem has finally gone!
EDIT2: he loved it that much it's already done, as 702, I shall build and test tonight and all being well replace 700 with 702 tomorrow for further testing before updating the release build in a week if no problems ocurr!

anikin

#47 Post by anikin »

scsijon wrote:@anikin, no, it's an all or none as I understand it.
Understood. I'm not going to pass judgement on Joe's decisions.
Scsijon, this thread is a testing platform for JWM, if I get it right. Here's a graet idea, pursuant to my previous post. Can we expand the testing to see how JWM works if compiled without support for menu icons? Something, that hasn't been done yet? This will definitely put extra load on you to produce an additional compilation, but will also be of benifit to the community. Although, I must confess, I'm driven by a selfish interest here. An iconless menu can be done manually, and I've done it: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 120#666120
The result I would like to see in the compilation is a clean iconless menu, and at the same time, retain the possibility to have icons in the tray and desktop. Could be a tediuos process, but as `f00 put it: "Likely it would run a bit leaner." And what can be a better reward for a user, than a "bit leaner" running puppy?

Keef

#48 Post by Keef »

I did a compile with --disable-icons.
It gets rid of menu icons, and tray buttons. (they are missing on the screenshot on the left of the tray - I had installed Mick's pet).
'Swallowed' apps remain.
Desktop icons are part of the Rox pinboard.
Attachments
jwm-no_icons.jpg
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times

anikin

#49 Post by anikin »

Keef,

I'm speechless. And impressed.
Looks like the "correct" layout for a WM in a distro built to run from RAM and be small and efficient.
Will you share it?

Keef

#50 Post by Keef »

Anikin

I just did it to see what happened with icons disabled. Unfortunately the current version will not compile with '--disable-icons', so I used an earlier one.
These are the errors I get after running make:

Code: Select all

# make
cd src ; make all ; cd ..
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sda2/Downloads/Window-Managers/JWM/CURRENT/jwm-master/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -I/usr/X11R7/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R7/include   -I/usr/X11R7/include   -I/usr/include/fribidi   -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\"  background.c
background.c:307:35: error: macro "LoadNamedIcon" passed 2 arguments, but takes just 1
background.c: In function ‘LoadImageBackground’:
background.c:307: error: ‘LoadNamedIcon’ undeclared (first use in this function)
background.c:307: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
background.c:307: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [background.o] Error 1

Eyes-Only

#51 Post by Eyes-Only »

I have to admit that as much as I love my icons that sure is a handsome screenshot there of JWM Keef! Very impressive indeed! Thanks for sharing that shot, but as for myself I'll pass on the exe itself as I'm one - unlike anikin - who MUST have his icons if the WM calls for it by default. lol. :lol:

I suppose that's kind of odd though just the same seeing that I prefer my Flux/Openbox in their "natural state" to begin with.

Again Keef, thanks for sharing! :)

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acaadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

scsijon

#52 Post by scsijon »

@anikin, it's both a testing platform and at suitable stages an 'internal release' as is v691. Major releases come in steps like 2.0 2.1, 2.2 with 2.2 being the current major release but that's a year old now and a lot has happened since. I don't expect another major release until joe has decided it is time to stop for a while.

@keef, you can get rid of the swallowed apps by commenting the section that sets them up near the top of the /root/.jwmc-tray config file

I will have a look at building an iconless jwm, it shouldn't be that hard to sort out, and would have a name something like jwm2-iconless-702-w5c. Although i'm not sure there would be much saving as icons are called as wanted, not within jwm on the desktop.

Anyway I had best get 702 built and tested and out there.

EDIT: no 702 hasn't given the desired result.
EDIT2: --disable-icons problem confirmed and added into the jwm problems list for attention as it's not a simple configure change to fix it as I had hoped.

session

JWM keybindings focus

#53 Post by session »

I don't know if this is a bug or just the way JWM focuses on things:

If I open a window and then minimize it, JWM keybindings will not work until I unminimize said window or open a new window.
So, say I right-click the minimized window in the tray and close it... then keybindings won't work until I open another application.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

Re: JWM keybindings focus

#54 Post by scsijon »

session wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or just the way JWM focuses on things:

If I open a window and then minimize it, JWM keybindings will not work until I unminimize said window or open a new window.
So, say I right-click the minimized window in the tray and close it... then keybindings won't work until I open another application.
Don't think that should happen, I will put a problem in the system for it.
EDIT: I will receive a new version today to test.

@Keef: It should include a fix for the --disable-icons, already fixed we think, but I'm reluctant to download and test two versions on the same day.
It should be out for wider testing tomorrow, if not tonight.

@all: There will be two test versions out from the next time:
a) jwm2-70x-w5c - being a standard package; and,
b) jwm2-noicons-70x-w5c - being built without icon support.

If they work they will both be released, but they do need testing first by a number of people, so please spread the request.

EDIT: 704 tested with both versions and requests now ok, but another problem has reared it's head so I won't release the result yet, less I confuse folks.
It seems to have speeded up a little bit again too, I can't look away to see what's next now before the next window has appeared and is running.

`f00

#55 Post by `f00 »

window control via..
1) window menu or tasklist-button menu - this seems to be the most robust
2) kybd - less robust
3) titlebar buttons - even less than kybd sometimes, mostly with multifunction like min-m3 shade
..this is with xcompmgr -n loaded, in normal use controls are all fine for me

kybd control..
Only 'standard' kybd binds (those in template) show in the ui. Possibility of conflict with custom binds in *personal - example A+F4 is standard for close, C+q in my personal .. they both do the job unless I comment-out or change the bind in the template.

layer conflict possible?
If both window and tray are 'above', which one takes precedence? Personally I almost never have this happen (windows 'normal' and trays on autohide popup 'above' when hovered).

virtual desktops
Took me awhile to get that jwm uses 'discreet' desktops (rather than the viewport or even combined model used in some other wms like enlightenment and fvwm). That's why windows can't 'span' desktops .. also why a window can almost 'disappear' if you move it with the kybd to an offscreen position (dragging the titlebar or Alt+m1 limits that effect). With small screens (netbooks and such) this can be somewhat of a minor issue with windows that are larger than the screen size.

other
Pleased that Joe is implementing more multifunction on titlebar buttons :)

anikin

#56 Post by anikin »

Keef wrote:Anikin

I just did it to see what happened with icons disabled. Unfortunately the current version will not compile with '--disable-icons', so I used an earlier one.
Keef, or anyone who knows,

I'm taking baby steps in compiling, trying to make an iconless JWM. Following to the letter Joe's instructions, everything goes OK, no errors. "make install" as a final command - where do I go from there? Nothing seems to get installed.

`f00

#57 Post by `f00 »

Hmm, as I recall there are options to a) make a dotpet as part of the process (see the wiki/compiling) or b) install to a different path (such as /myjwm dir - perhaps even set it up beforehand with appropriate subdirs and the compiled dirs&files should all go there) .. this may be a bit easier than wondering "Did it install?" and/or checking the propsheets for datetimes, etc

Congratulations on error-free compilation :D
Last edited by `f00 on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Keef

#58 Post by Keef »

Anikin

What options did you add to 'configure'?
If you just did

./configure --disable-icons
..then jwm would be installed to /usr/local/bin (I think that is what it defaults to).
Your current jwm is likely to be in /usr/bin
Type 'which jwm' to check.
What I usually do is to go into the 'src' directory where the newly compiled jwm binary should be, and rename it to jwm-test or something.
Copy it to /usr/bin/
Exit X
Type 'xwin jwm-test' and see what happens.
If it fails (ie you don't get to a desktop), you can type 'xwin jwm' and get back to where you started.

First, you could check if the new jwm got installed to /usr/local/bin.
If it is there, try renaming it as above, then exit X etc...

You can also run 'strip jwm' to reduce the size. It is not necessary, but if you are concerned that the new jwm is much bigger, that is the solution.

ozsouth

Taskbar scrolling issue

#59 Post by ozsouth »

Does anyone have any other 'sensible' enhancement requests while we have his attention?
Hesitate to ask, (Joe helped me with the 'noshade' option), but scrolling on the taskbar, if you have popups on the tray, launches many copies of the item scrolled on.

Older fumble fingers do this often, as well as switching desktops. Then I get 'my screen is full of junk' or 'my browser (etc.) disappeared' calls.

My workaround is to only have one desktop & no popups other than the menu, but that excludes some of JWMs nice functions.

scsijon

Building your own JWM

#60 Post by scsijon »

For anyone wanting to build their own Jwm.

BE AWARE that versions 702 to 704 have other problems relating to "the black screen of death" and "backgrounds" so be careful!

I am awaiting a reply for joe from barryk as I have been asked a question I cannot answer, it needs his level of knowledge.
EDIT: Just had a reply from barryk and passed it onto joe, suspect we will have a new build soon to test.

building your own jwm : myway

Presteps
a) Download a version of jwm from [url]http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/snapshots/[/url] the latest is at the bottom of the list.
b)unpack it in the directory you intend building it in. 
c)Rename the directory created by the unpack to puppy standard by adding a '2' after the jwm so we know it's a series2 jwm (jwm2-xxx) and not an old series1.

step1
a) Open a terminal console and go to the directory you unpacked the jwm into.
b) Go into the jwm directory created when you unpacked it.
c) ./configure CFLAGS="-mtune=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/xdg/templates --localstatedir=/var

: add --disable-icons to the end if you want to build an iconless version
: look back and see if any errors have appeared thet you need to add another package for before starting the configure again. You may need to reboot before restarting if you have added a package, as some packages need to load on startup.

step2
a) type 'make' and let it run.

: look back and see if any errors have appeared thet you need to add another package for or rebuild.
:at this point I usually go into the directory and delete /etc as mick's jwmconfig2 package contains what we need for puppy and we do not need joe's generic config file!

step3
a) type  new2dir make install

: does two things, create a new directory that can be 'pet'd'
: the new2dir is the front end that creates a package suitable to build a pet, while the "make install" installs the build into your system, ***but with no removal path*** .
: By habbit, I usually break out at the last step and use my Pet Maker version 2.2 to finish, but there is no reason why the internal builder should not be used for such a simple package.
and for Anakin, the previous version that is 'good' has other problems, I shall look back and see what the previous 'stable' one was befor the gliphs appeared and let you know.

Have fun.
Last edited by scsijon on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 02:17, edited 3 times in total.