Transformer: a NEW kind of PC+Tablet+Laptop+ ...

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gcmartin

Transformer: a NEW kind of PC+Tablet+Laptop+ ...

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This was shown at CES. But, I, for one, didn't expect it to go to market.

Its revolutionary in that it appears possible to really address the technology shift that is moving the public space away from PCs toward xPhones/xTablets

A solution like this allows something like Puppy and Android to work hand-in-hand without Puppy having to work hard to get there.

Something to review as we march head-strong into the future and the current public space we are in.

Transformer....This could catch on in a "BIG" way. in Public space.

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Is its main input touch? maybe you need puppy with KDE plasma and re-configured apps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_Plasma_Workspaces

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Year before last, I ran Lighthouse64 on a HP Touchsmart 23" without any visible desktop issues. I only had the PC for couple days to resolve some Windows issues the owner had snagged, but, LH64 was a non-issue and response time, along with experience, was incredible.

I would guess that with the upcoming LH64 and FATDOG64 there may be ample subsystems capable of exercising the hardware (Intel's 2012 Ultrabook changes for firmware) to allow either of these 2 distro to capably navigate the Transformer peripheral in this game-changing approach in the technology world. A tablet is extremely useful in school and business (and home too) for the "younger than me" eyes. And, with this Transformer's screen size, I can probably more easily see stuff.

Now, should I get one (and I'm thinking I will) how can I mount this in my car such that I can talk to it and that it has its front and rear cameras working for me??? humm...

We can only hope, right...

Q5sys

Re: Transformer: a NEW kind of PC+Tablet+Laptop+ ...

#4 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:A solution like this allows something like Puppy and Android to work hand-in-hand without Puppy having to work hard to get there.
Its not a solution at all. All it does is simply use the tablet screen and touch hardware for the windows system on the base station. Its nothing more than a gimmick actually. When you plug it into the base station the base station provides the CPU, RAM, OS, Storage, etc. And the tablet provides the screen and touch sensor.

Once you remove it... the tablet just runs on its own. There isnt even any storage syncing at this point.
So really this is the opposite of what most news outlets are pushing this as... This isnt a windows/android tablet... Its a android tablet that works as a LCD touch screen for a windows 8 machine.

From the article:
For example, Transformer AiO owners who use Windows 8 at home will have to get by with Android while on the go, and vice versa - Asus hasn't baked any real integration between the two into this hardware.
Moving along...
gcmartin wrote:I would guess that with the upcoming LH64 and FATDOG64 there may be ample subsystems capable of exercising the hardware (Intel's 2012 Ultrabook changes for firmware) to allow either of these 2 distro to capably navigate the Transformer peripheral in this game-changing approach in the technology world. A tablet is extremely useful in school and business (and home too) for the "younger than me" eyes. And, with this Transformer's screen size, I can probably more easily see stuff.
Its possible that someone could work LH64 and/or Fatdog64 onto the base station for the unit... however who's going to write the drivers? You can count on them NOT being open source. So someone's going to have to make them. So that means running puppy on the base station is going to be extremely difficult. So lets move onto the tablet portion, well its running an ARM chip... so once again we are hitting the same problem with running puppy on any ARM tablet. There's another thread on this topic... so I wont go into repeating everything again in this thread. Go there if you want to read the discussion.

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Yeah, the opening post article speaks for itself.
GCMartin wrote: ... A solution like this ...
solution = ASUS's product. And as such, here is someone's real world early use of this solution.

I am not sure if any current PUP would be capable/incapable of working hand-in-hand with the hardware peripheral that system's firmware provides.Have to wait and see when system becomes available in stores. But, ASUS is pushing the envelop. :D

Here to help

Q5sys

#6 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:Yeah, the opening post article speaks for itself.
GCMartin wrote: ... A solution like this ...
solution = ASUS's product. And as such, here is someone's real world early use of this solution.

I am not sure if any current PUP would be capable/incapable of working hand-in-hand with the hardware peripheral that system's firmware provides.Have to wait and see when system becomes available in stores. But, ASUS is pushing the envelop. :D

Here to help
it's definately an interesting idea. But I'm skeptical as to if it'll last. I still think the configuration that will last is the convertable or 'yoga' laptops. Because they come with the functionality and ease of use of a laptop... but can convert into a tablet for the things you'd want a tablet for. Other than the 'hipster' aspect of using a tablet... they really aren't that useful for meaningful tasks. They do make you look snazzy sitting in a coffee shop though. lol

I still think the best solution would be to have a 'dumb' tablet device that's just a screen and wireless hardware, that can ssh into your desktop and tunnel your x11 session to your tablet.
That way you have your entire computer on your tablet... and you can use the power of your computer when you are on another device. The screen is simply a wireless screen.
The industry however does not seem interested in going this direction. Probably because they cant charge and arm and a leg for the hardware.