ACPI=OFF and GRUB (solved)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Subito Piano

ACPI=OFF and GRUB (solved)

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

Here's what i consider a weird one....

I dual-boot Lubuntu (12.04LTS) and Puppy (Studio 3.3, full install) on separate partitions. My Alps touchpad wouldn't work with the supplied Vista (which i ditched) or Linux -- unless, i discovered, i disable ACPI on bootup. In other words, i tried manually editing the boot parameters on startup, adding "acpi=off," and the touchpad worked fine. The next step was to edit grub so that acpi would be switched offf automatically. Since i installed Lubuntu first, grub2 is the bootloader; so i edited /etc/default/grub to read (in part):
  • GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off quiet splash"
and edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom to read (in part):
  • linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda4
Now the weird part -- having editied these files, the touchpad won't work, whether or not i "sudo update-grub" in Lubuntu, but it WILL work if i leave "acpi=off" out of those two files and instead manually edit the boot parameters each time on startup. This holds true for both Puppy and Lubuntu.

While we're at it -- a second, related issue. In Lubuntu, when turning acpi off, my touchpad works and my midi usb cable, but in Puppy, switching off acpi allows my touchpad to work but NOT the midi usb cable.

???!?!?!??!

Thanks for your thoughts....
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

specs:
Toshiba A125 laptop (2008)
AMD Turion dual-core 64-bit (running 32-bit Lubuntu)
AlpsPS2/ ALPS GlidePoint
2GB RAM
Last edited by Subito Piano on Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.
[color=green]"God is love" - [url=https://www.esv.org/1+John+4/]I John 4:12[/url][/color]
ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ ðŸ￾§ Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! :D
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=ff quiet splash"

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi=off quiet splash"
:?:

Subito Piano

#3 Post by Subito Piano »

in Lubuntu (grub2), in Puppy (grub1), or each?

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Cannot remember that grub0.97 uses /etc/default/grub.d file. grub.d sounds more like a directory name.

Subito Piano

#5 Post by Subito Piano »

Karl - I'm not sure what you are telling me to do -- that is what i already edited into grub with no success.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

in your post you wrote acpi=ff

Subito Piano

#7 Post by Subito Piano »

yowsers! :oops: typos, typos...

Anyway, i did use "acpi=off" in the etc/default/grub file, to no avail. That was for booting Lubuntu. For booting Puppy from Lubuntu's grub2, i edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom to read acpi=off. Sorry for the confusion. (You wouldn't believe i tried to not rush that post off and tried to make it clear...!!!)

Anyway -- i edited my first post to fix the errors for anyone else following this. Still no answer...

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

grub2 has an update-grub or grub-update script that i remember found some Puppies automatically and wrote the grub.cfg file quiet well.

I dunno if

How to install Puppy on SATA drive with Lubuntu?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1008097825

would help you. Anyway I would leave that /etc/default/grub file alone without any global variables to acpi
and add the acpi=off directly into grub.cfg linux /boot/vmlinuz lines

Subito Piano

#9 Post by Subito Piano »

Well - in spite of the big warning in grub.cfg "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE," i backed up that file, added acpi=off as per your instructions -- and sure enough, it works great, both for Puppy and Lubuntu! Thanks. :-)

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

Glad that not following warnings issued by software is many times the way to go. I am not that kind that thinks laws are there to be broken, but ..

Anyway still am surprised that grub2 is able to do multimedia :D