Lupu or Precise??

Booting, installing, newbie
Barkingmad

Lupu or Precise??

#1 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

As the title -- which to choose to install for someone else to use so can't really try them both for a while as I would for myself.

I'll try them both as a live boot to test hardware detection etc but what is peoples opinion as to stability/buginess, longer term support, availability of extra programmes etc.

I know these are matters of opinion but I'd still like to here some views to help me make a more informed choice.

Thanks

Terryphi

#2 Post by Terryphi »

Both are excellent but if long-term support is your main concern I suggest Precise because it is compatible with the latest Ubuntu LTS version libraries.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Dean

#3 Post by Dean »

Terryphi wrote:Both are excellent but if long-term support is your main concern I suggest Precise because it is compatible with the latest Ubuntu LTS version libraries.
This.
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

simargl

#4 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Aisling

Lupu or Precise??

#5 Post by Sky Aisling »

You might want to consider the make and age of your friend's machine.
I run the Lupu series on older machines.
So far, I've had good luck.

Barkingmad

#6 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

You might want to consider the make and age
It's a Dell -- 1.8GHz P4, Intel 845 based mainboard and 2GB ram. Would this be reckoned old in Puppy years? :D

I was thinking of using the retro kernal version if I went for Precise.

Thanks for the input

W

Sky Aisling

Lupu or Precise??

#7 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Barkingmad,

Maybe this is your friend's machine?.

You could burn a few Live CD's of various Puppies and give them a try.

Look here for latest Puppy downloads.

I've had good luck with Lucid Puppy-528.005 on older machines.
Playing around with them on the machine is really the best way to go.
If the machine is really old (pre 2002) I've found that Puppy 4.3.1 frugally installed and with the Seamonkey browser upgraded and Shinobar's GetFlash added works fine for a user who only wants to surf the web and get email.
Ask your friend what she/he wants from the OS. Taylor your choice from there.
Enjoy!

Barkingmad

#8 Post by Barkingmad »

Thank you

The PC is a Dell Optiplex -- same spec as that review but in a compact desktop case.

It's running 4.3.1 at the moment but could do with a newer browser and I thought would benifit from the i686 code in Lupu and later so I'll try some things out when I can.

Thanks again

Will

raffy

non-PAE

#9 Post by raffy »

Your machine shall "fly" with any Puppy version. Just avoid the PAE builds.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Javelin Dan

#10 Post by Javelin Dan »

All I can tell you is that I have run both on an old Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop (750Ghz. Pentium III processor, 20 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM). Both run extremely well with ONE glaring difference: Youtube videos on Precise (and just about everything else) run like a slide-show on this computer. On Lucid 5.2.8, they actually run like a video. I don’t know what makes the difference and it may be hardware specific, but Lucid 5.2.8 runs better on this old junk than anything I’ve ever tried including several versions of Wary, some Pup versions based on older kernels, and “cut down

Sky Aisling

Lupu or Precise??

#11 Post by Sky Aisling »

The Dell Optiplex is a bit older machine.
You say:
It's running 4.3.1 at the moment but could do with a newer browser and I thought would benifit from the i686 code in Lupu and later...
Puppy 4.3.1 with it's older kernel is an appropriate choice for that Dell.
You can upgrade the older Seamonkey 1.1.8 browser from within 4.3.1. and, you can add Shinobar's GetFlash to improve the Youtube viewing.
To upgrade the Seamonkey open the *help* area of the browser from the top menu bar. Look for *updates* or similiar words.
The upgrade is quick and places the new browser as the default.

Shinobar's latest *getflash* pet is here

Again, it all depends on what your friend wants to do with the Puppy.
If speed, playing net games, downloading high density files and doing multitasking is what your friend wants then you are better off encouraging your friend to get a newer machine and newer Puppy.
If simple web browsing and emailing and enjoying a Youtube video on occassion is your friend's want then 4.3.1 works well on that Dell.

Puppy 4.3.1 can be *dressed up* just as all the other Puppies can.
You might be "throwing-the-baby-out-with-the-bath-water" by dumping 4.3.1.
For fun, you might want to change the choices of wallpaper by inserting new wallpaper images into (/usr/share/backgrounds)and changing the desktop icons (menu/desktop/icon switcher) and choosing a new theme so the desktop looks fresher.
Google = Google Images *free wallpaper (put in the monitor resolution size)*. Choose carefully, some eyecandy has stealth spam built in.
And, walla! a new Puppy?

As Raffy says,
Your machine shall "fly" with any Puppy version. Just avoid the PAE builds.
Enjoy!