Qupzilla 1.4.0 pet is here!

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Gnuxo

Qupzilla 1.4.0 pet is here!

#1 Post by Gnuxo »

Qupzilla 1.4.0 is here so I ported it to puppy.

Qupzilla is a lightweight, fast web browser based on webkit and QT.

All you need is Qt4.80 or higher to run it. And for Html5, you should install gstreamer.

download link is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afni3d45ss1ad ... a1.4_0.pet
Last edited by Gnuxo on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuxo

#2 Post by Gnuxo »

I tried it on an older puppy and it didn't work.

It says it needs libc6. So I would recommend that people who aren't using newer puppies *such as precise* to stay away for now.

I'm not good enough to backport Qupzilla. :(

If anyone can backport version 1.4.0 to an earlier version of libc, it would be helpful. It would make the browser usable for everyone.

Eyes-Only

#3 Post by Eyes-Only »

I was unable to download it from this place using SeaMonkey. First off I found the place very confusing. Second off when I did get something that suggested something was downloading my SeaMonkey didn't open its customary "file placement" window. Thirdly, when attempting to leave it kept ahold of me saying that I had files waiting to download - yet the page clearly said "finished".

Thanks for trying Gnuxo, but I have Qupzilla's homepage so I'll just go and download the .deb file from there since I know it's been majorly updated. :)

Take care!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Gnuxo

#4 Post by Gnuxo »

Oh...

I'll have to find a different storage site then.

Gnuxo

#5 Post by Gnuxo »

Reuploaded to a new site.

Hope it works.

I'll try and compile on an older system for the people missing out.

Eyes-Only

#6 Post by Eyes-Only »

There we go Gnuxo! - sucess at last in the download process! lol!

In all seriousness though: Thank you so very much in going the extra mile for someone like me who now has a very difficult time in understanding many things and therefore placing this file where it'd be easier for me ( as well as others like me or those new to Linux ) to download. I truly do appreciate the extra effort my Puppian friend! :D

By the way: While I agree with you in compiling on an older glibc so that others using an older puplet would be able to use this - where you had written "Precise" - that was exactly where I was planning to install and use this. I already have several lite-weight browsers that I use on my 3HD Pup ( based upon Lucid-Pup ).

Once again: Thank you so very much for your considerable time and effort regarding this matter Gnuxo - and for working to make this excellent browser readily available to those who would enjoy using it.

Cheers/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Gnuxo

#7 Post by Gnuxo »

Sadly, I've been having Qmake errors.

I have everything I need to compile but Lazy Puppy won't behave.

Lazy is the only Puppy I use with a LibC old enough to compile on.

I talked to R-S-H and he says it happens because QT3 is installed by default, and I was trying load QT4, which means I'll need to find another old puppy in order to compile.

It's proving to be a headache.

vovchik

#8 Post by vovchik »

Dear Gnuxo,

Don't dispair. I have both QT3 and QT4 on my system and, indeed, both have qmake binaries. I linked the QT4 qmake to qmake4 and use that with ready-made (.pro files. If I run into a more seious QT4 make problem, I look at the makefile and change all instances of qmake to qmake4. That usually works....

With kind regards,
vovchik

Gnuxo

#9 Post by Gnuxo »

Thank you so much for that.

However I'm getting errors with Qmakespecs saying it's not configured.
...And that's my real problem. When I say Qmake in the build directory, I get a Qmakespecs error and I have no idea where or how to change it.

Eyes-Only

#10 Post by Eyes-Only »

Not that this helps you any Gnuxo, but I have installed this on my LXpup, Mate-Pup, and the most-recent Slacko ( 5.5? ), and it's working great! :D I haven't been able to use Qupzilla since around version 1.10 ( I think that was my last installed version? ) and I'd forgotten how extremely FAST - yet at the same time how many features it came with as well - and it has really blown me away!

I'm just really glad that you even bothered to have taken the time to have made this version for the up-to-date Puppies that we have today as it's reminded me of how much I've missed it.

It's truly a great lite-weight browser ( especially if ones Puppy already has Qt4 already installed by default ) and one that would make an excellent default browser in anyone's puplet due to being merely a 3.7meg install. Couple that with the likes of the Sylpheed - or Claws - email client and you've managed to have removed a great deal of weight from your finished .iso file IMHO.

I forgot to add as well: Besides size alone it seems as if the browsing speed is comparable to Dillo. I'd love to know just how the devs managed to acheive that when other webkit-based browsers can't seem to reach this browsing speed?

Keep up the fabulous work Gnuxo! It may be a headache trying to port it to the older Puppies/puplets, but I somehow suspect that there would be MANY users who would appreciate just that! 8)

Thank you again very much for your time and efforts.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

Gnuxo

#11 Post by Gnuxo »

Thank you for the compliment. :oops:

I love Qupzilla. I kind of wished I'd built it from source rather then just repackaging and stripping down the deb file.

I could have compiled some external addons that aren't available by default.
*Though I suppose it isn't necessary*

I installed it on an old PC, running Bodhi. And it lags with everything, *Even Chromium lags* But Qupzilla somehow runs smoothly. :?:

scabz

#12 Post by scabz »

if anyone wants it i compiled Qupzilla-1.4.1 in precise 5.3.91 its a old precise but should work in others.
Qupzilla-1.4.1 Download
DEV Download
NLS Download

-- edit i compile it against my compile of qt-4.8.2 if you want it here is my stripped sfs Download

Gnuxo

#13 Post by Gnuxo »

What version of GlibC does it use?

If it's 2.15, then many older puppy users are screwed. :(

scabz

#14 Post by scabz »

will not work on older puppies, so sorry.
i have been using Qupzilla as my default browser for a wile now and love it, thanks a lot for introducing Qupzilla to me.

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu EGLIBC 2.15-0ubuntu10) 2.15
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
sh-3.00#

Gnuxo

#15 Post by Gnuxo »

Someone needs to compile a QT 4.80+ .sfs on an older puppy.

It's our only hope.

I talked to the developers and they said that it can work on older versions of glibc if QT is compiled with it.

scabz

#16 Post by scabz »

I might try compiling qt on a older puppy but it takes like 8 hours to compile qt for me at least. What version of qt and puppy should i try it with?

Gnuxo

#17 Post by Gnuxo »

I'm not sure.

Most pets built in puppy4 will work in newer pups.

...However it has to be a puppy with an older GLIBC.

Thank you in advance, if you try.

Pelo

1.8.5 is here

#19 Post by Pelo »

doublon