Blue screenshot from UM Player (solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
icosahedron

Blue screenshot from UM Player (solved)

#1 Post by icosahedron »

Hi,

I'm using Lucid 5.2.5.

When I try to take a screenshot from UM Player version 0.95, using the default MT Paint screen capture tool, the captured image shows for a fraction of a second, then it's replaced by a plain blue field. The image data does not seem to be captured. All I get is a png depicting a blue screen.

I can capture a video image from the default Gnome player without difficulty, so I assume it's a problem with UM Player.

Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it? I need UM Player for its Frame-step function. (I've tried a capture on live, pause and step, and I get the blue screen of death in all captures from UM Player).

It could be something simple. I'm a Linux beginner, and I probably can't fix anything from Command Line - I've never used it.

Thanks.
Last edited by icosahedron on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Computers: - I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Console/Terminal? What's that?
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Which output driver's being used for video? Does the condition reach across different video formats?

icosahedron

#3 Post by icosahedron »

Sorry, what does output driver mean? Where would I find the answer? (my sig says it all. :( )

It sort of bridges formats.
Following your question, I tried different formats. It does what I described on MP4 and Mpeg, but on wmv, instead of seeing a blue screen, I see the continuing video in the MT Paint screenshot window rather than a still shot if I snapshot without pausing the vid. If I pause, it seems to work normally, but when I save, it goes through the motions, but the image file shows the blue screen when I retrieve it.

Those are the only formats I have to hand just now, but it seems likely that any screenshot image will be blue regardless of interim appearances.

Thanks.
I visit the Internet to OBTAIN information, not to PROVIDE it! (Increase Internet Privacy)

CatDude

#4 Post by CatDude »

Hello icosahedron
icosahedron wrote:Sorry, what does output driver mean? Where would I find the answer? (my sig says it all. :( )
I think these (see image) are what Semme is talking about.

CatDude
Attachments
umplayer-prefs.png
(48.36 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

icosahedron

#5 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks Cat Dude. Well, in that case, it's set to the default xv.

As a matter of curiosity I fired up my 'other' machine, and Windows Media Player won't capture screenshots into MS Paint either.

I'm wondering if it's some sort of anti-piracy security thingy (note the techno-jargon there) that Gnome player (1.0.2) successfully ignores. I wonder if there's a later version of Gnome Player with a frame-step function?

Thanks.

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Thank you CatDude.

==

This has something to do with the frame buffer. Since I don't fully understand it, I don't have a reasonable explanation.
When I try to take a screenshot from UM Player version 0.95, using the default MT Paint screen capture tool, the captured image shows for a fraction of a second, then it's replaced by a plain blue field. The image data does not seem to be captured. All I get is a png depicting a blue screen.
What you can do is take that screenshot with UMPlayer itself- under video.

icosahedron

#7 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks Semme.

I tried taking a screen shot with UM Player's own screenshot command, but I couldn't figure out how to import that into MT Paint. Either the screen capture isn't working or I need to sit down for a few weeks and learn how to use MT Paint properly, too. I'll fit it in sometime...

However, I've just found on the net some keyboard controls for Gnome M Player that aren't listed in its non-existent help file.

Apparently Gnome does have a frame step function - it's the full stop (period) key. So my immediate problem can be solved by using Gnome rather than UM, but I'd still like an effective way to capture from UM.

Thanks.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Import would have to happen directly from mtPaint as I doubt UMPlayer can handle the transfer the same way the psnapshot script can. At least, not without some :D *divine* intervention.

UMPlayer by default saves screen shots to /root/.config/umplayer/screenshots..

This is where you'd open them from mtPaint.

icosahedron

#9 Post by icosahedron »

Thank you Semme. That location works and it stores images that are not a blue screen. I would never have found it buried away in hidden files.

Problem solved. :)

It’s a pleasure to to find helpers who can explain things to a Bear of Very Little Brain. :)

Thanks again for your time.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Oh good. Just look under the *general* tab in options >> prefs and you'll see YOU control the destination directory.

*Update: As I originally thought, changing the output driver to say, x11 or gl will allow capture with an outside utility.
Attachments
swapped-output-driver-ss.jpg
(161.57 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

icosahedron

#11 Post by icosahedron »

Even better.

Thanks for that update. Now I just have to remember all this next time I want to capture from video. :)

(I run Puppy live from CD, so I tend to add things like this to a list and remaster when the list gets long enough.)

CatDude

#12 Post by CatDude »

Hi
icosahedron wrote:...Now I just have to remember all this next time I want to capture from video. :)

(I run Puppy live from CD, so I tend to add things like this to a list and remaster when the list gets long enough.)
Have you considered using NoteCase to keep your hints/tips etc :?:
Most Puppies have it installed under Personal in the menu.

You can add images and links, i use it all the time.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Now THAT is gonna come in handy!
<Once I figure out howda woik it>

icosahedron

#14 Post by icosahedron »

Hi Cat Dude, thanks for that tip.

I see the thing, but as Semme says, I've no idea what it does or how to work it, and, along with much other potentially useful stuff, I doubt if I'll find the time to learn in the next decade... I just write a WP document and file it on a stick under Puppy Updates.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

Hey Sherlock- just incase, create the /usr/share/doc/notecase folder and drop this in.

icosahedron

#16 Post by icosahedron »

Thanks. I followed your instructions and successfully loaded the help file. Of course, being live, it'll vanish again when I switch off, but I've created myself a readme file to remind me what to do with it when I next remaster.

Looks like a sort of mini-wiki type thing. I might just find a use for it... :)