Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

#201 Post by rerwin »

Now, I get it! I could not resist working something up for 20130227. I will PM the updated version for you to try. Tell me how it works soon so I can re-upload it for everyone.

01micko

#202 Post by 01micko »

It didn't attach!.. Please redo PM

EDIT:

Ok, got it now, and works,

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#203 Post by 01micko »

...just some feedback,

I have been solely using frisbee on my 3 testers with the latest slacko-5.4.0.5 and no problems. My main box is still using eth1 and the icons are blinking now, so I don't know what fixed it but hey, I'll take it :)

On my main laptop I have been switching between wlan0 and ppp0 with no problems. The ppp connection is through my mobile phone. I don't have a dialup account to test the icon switching script but I did a lab test on that script and it looks good.

As a feature request, not urgent, I wonder if it's possible to call the frisbee GUI from the tray icon when ppp is disconnected? As said, not a top priority. Too late in the development cycle to risk stability anyway, just a thought for the future.

Judging by the lack of others' feedback there mustn't bee too many problems!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#204 Post by mavrothal »

Tried frisbee-1.0-20130228 from the noarch repo in Racy 5.5.
Does not appear to work unless you first use another connection tool and connect to a wifi network. :?
Also when it does work eventually, it goes to full screen mode.(see picture)

I also attach the terminal output where looks like that frisbee has trouble finding wpa components
Attachments
frisbee_failed.txt.gz
frisbee terminal output (with set -x)
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
frisbee.jpg
frisbee 20130228 on Racy 5.5
(27.58 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

Racy 5.5 problem

#205 Post by peebee »

There seems to be something missing from the new Racy 5.5 that stops Frisbee detecting any wifi signals OOB.

As mavrothal mentions above, if another Network Manager like SNS is used first then the wifi signals do also appear in Frisbee.

pdiag output attached.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
pdiag-20130303.tar.gz
(120.33 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

New frisbee update for puppies-5.5

#206 Post by rerwin »

As a result of collaboration by PM with peebee and mavrothal, I have made some further small improvements to frisbee and re-implemented the dhcpcd hooks for notifying the user and network_tray icon, as well as frisbee itself, of changes in the state of the network interfaces.

Because we discovered that some PCs require the "dropwait" feature added to the dhcpcd in precise pup, I am including it in a "kit" tarball for installation to the "5.5" versions of puppies built with the recent versions of woof. Note that the dhcpcd_dropwait package is identical to that in precise 5.5, so it need not be installed to precise pup again from the tarball.

The main mods to frisbee are:
  • - The "Enable Wireless" checkbox is now "Connect WiFi Automatically". Previously, that checkbox only indicated the connection state, setting the check mark if a connection existed. It did not control wireless across reboots, as the label might imply. Now, unchecking the box actually prevents the automatic connect at boot-up, as requested by one of the participants in this thread.

- A new checkbox, "Announce State Changes" lets the user control whether the state-change splash pop-ups appear, per a request I saw a while ago.

- Some spacing changes now avoid clumping buttons and checkboxes to the right side of the window.

- To support developers using frisbee as the main/default network manager, I added an install option dialog offering to pre-set frisbee as the default and set flags so that frisbee itself need not be run to start the pop-ups and make the first (ethernet) connection. But it would be needed initially to select a wireless network.
The state-change notification dhcpcd hooks are consolidated into the single file, 99-notify, including the logic of the dhcpcd-hooks script, in a manner similar to that used by the existing hook code-fragment files, probably to execute efficiently.

This catches me up on the to-do list AFAIK, except for upgrading the network_tray-2.6 to better handle multiple active network interfaces. If any further problems/issues arise, please report them here for my attention. I am open to adapting frisbee further to maximize its convenience and usefulness.
Richard
Attachments
frisbee-1.0_puppy-5.5_kit-20130314.tar.gz
Kit for puppies 5.5 - Precise, Wary, Racy and maybe Slacko (not tested).
Includes frisbee, dhcpcd-dropwait and separate woof_update package
with the notification hook rewrite.
(72.76 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

peebee

5.5_kit test

#207 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard

Tested the new version of Frisbee in the 5.5_kit....

On Precise, if I answer "Yes" to the new startup question I get a screen with all buttons greyed out and no wifi signals detected - see screenie attached.

On Precise, Slacko, UpupPrecise3.8.2, Wary5.5 and Racy5.5 if I answer "No" to the new question I get no wifi signals detected until I tick the new "Automatic Wifi Connection" (Which is unticked by default) and a Refresh occurs - manually or by timeout.

Interestingly, the dhcpcd-drop-wait pet is NO LONGER needed in either Wary or Racy with this new Frisbee so maybe doesn't need to be in the kit?

However for both Wary and Racy although a wifi connection is established, the Network Tray does not update and continues to show the red cross.

All of this is tests on pristine frugal pfix=ram installs of each Puppy with no savefile - problems may be different after reboot and savefile creation but this has not been tested.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture18502.png
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
Last edited by peebee on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#208 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Richard,
I tested 5.5 kit in my "problem" machines with Racy and looks good.
In my case the tray icon changes as expected.
I find too that dhcpcd-dropwait is not required (nor the older Jemimah's wpa_suplicant I was using at times with Racy).
I would also agree with peebee that the /etc/frisbee/.wireless_autostart flag should be on by default. Frisbee was established primarily as a WiFi connection manager :wink:
Last edited by mavrothal on Fri 15 Mar 2013, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rerwin

Re: 5.5_kit test

#209 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:On Precise, if I answer "Yes" to the new startup question I get a screen with all buttons greyed out and no wifi signals detected - see screenie attached.
This is expected because I intended the option to be for developers creating a new ISO. The option makes frisbee mode already on, so that frisbee does not think it needs to start things up. However, I have already addressed this with a simple change in the next version I upload, so that frisbee will know it is the first run after installation.
On Precise, Slacko, UpupPrecise3.8.2, Wary5.5 and Racy5.5 if I answer "No" to the new question I get no wifi signals detected until I tick the new "Automatic Wifi Connection" (Which is unticked by default) and a Refresh occurs - manually or by timeout.
My thinking was that a user would initially have to select a network by starting frisbee, so can opt for the automatic connection. So, I am not very concerned about a change from the traditional behavior immediately after installation. I want the user to be in control of connections, so do not want frisbee to just "take over". Although this is different from the betas, I think it s more conservative and less intrustive. Although Frisbee was considered a wifi manager, I am positioning frisbee-1.0 as a complete network manager capable of someday replacing the network wizard.
Interestingly, the dhcpcd-drop-wait pet is NO LONGER needed with this new Frisbee so maybe doesn't need to be in the kit?
That is probably because I added part of mavrothal's patch suggestion, increasing the time before "giving up" on being able to connect, from 45 seconds to a minute. So, fewer machines now require dropwait, although it is valuable for weak connections. I will keep it in the kit as an option, for best performance.
However for both Wary and Racy although a wifi connection is established, the Network Tray does not update and continues to show the red cross.
That concerns me! I will investigate that. To help me along, could you PM me a pdiag file from frisbee at the point where you see this. Thanks.
Richard

peebee

#210 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:I think it s more conservative and less intrustive. Although Frisbee was considered a wifi manager, I am positioning frisbee-1.0 as a complete network manager capable of someday replacing the network wizard.

That concerns me! I will investigate that. To help me along, could you PM me a pdiag file from frisbee at the point where you see this. Thanks.
Richard
Hi Richard

I think the new way is so counter-intuitive that it will confuse people...

It is not obvious that ticking that box will make Frisbee spring into life - not to me anyway.

Similarly with the new startup box - most users won't know whether to say Yes or No - suggest No is made the default and words added to say say No unless....

Will PM you the pdiag shortly.

Cheers
Peter

mavrothal

#211 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: I think the new way is so counter-intuitive that it will confuse people...

It is not obvious that ticking that box will make Frisbee spring into life - not to me anyway.
All I can say is that I was about to post that the new frisbee is totally broken before I remembered the Richard had mentioned this change... :D
As I mentioned before the default should be on, unless you want to add a big "scan" button a la network-manager...

rerwin

#212 Post by rerwin »

Peebee & mavrothal,
Thanks for your further comments. They are not being ignored.

In the pdiag file I see that the entire kit was not installed. The tray icon update logic is moved to the woof_updates package. Please install it. It is separate so that it can be available even if frisbee is omitted; developers or users could set its flag to enable notification with the other network managers. Although the dhcpcd package appears to be optional, but why use only part of the complete frisbee solution!

I am working to reconcile your comments with my concept for frisbee. I probably need to treat the installation experience separately from the experience of initial boot-up after installing a new distro containing frisbee. I want the default states (whatever they turn out to be) to occur at initial boot-up if none of the flags are set, so that a remaster does not need to copy any flags. The flags should represent the exceptions and can be set during package installation or be built into a new distro (so would be copied in a remaster). Developers would then be allowed to pre-set any flag if they want an exception at initial boot-up of their distro/remaster. That is the beauty of using flags for control rather than hard-codded logic.
Richard

peebee

#213 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:In the pdiag file I see that the entire kit was not installed.
Hi Richard

My apologies for not understanding that the new Frisbee needed some infrastructure changes - if I load all 3 pets from the tarball then the network tray icon in Racy55 does change to the connected state.

Have you lengthened the refresh interval? There can be a very long delay between closing Frisbee for the 1st time and being asked if you want it to be the default.

I certainly support your efforts to separate user and developer setup functions....

Thanks
Peter

rerwin

#214 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Have you lengthened the refresh interval? There can be a very long delay between closing Frisbee for the 1st time and being asked if you want it to be the default.
I have not changed any interval other that that before the "no wireless connection" message pops up. That is done by a separate process (invoked with an "&").

The refresh interval remains at 15 seconds.
Richard

mavrothal

#215 Post by mavrothal »

Looks like that when X is restarted network_tray is not properly informed of the net state.
Starting a latter instance behaves as expected (see picture).
That is on precise 5.5 with frisbee 0314 and woof-additions 0314.
Attachments
tray.png
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 1237 times

jackwise

#216 Post by jackwise »

Hi,
I'm a newbie using linux but I had no problem until last weekend.
Frisbee stops to work ( don't detect wireless connections) and I want to uninstall it, but with no success.
I uninstalled it from setup/installed packages but it still working.
I stop it from start-up boot but it still working.

How can I get rid of it ??

I'm using Puppy Linux Slacko last version.

I'd appreciate any help.

JW

rerwin

#217 Post by rerwin »

jackwise wrote:Frisbee stops to work ( don't detect wireless connections) and I want to uninstall it, but with no success.
. . .
JW,
Welcome to the frisbee thread. Rather than uninstalling frisbee, simply do not let it be the default network manager. To do that, click the "connect" icon and change the radio button selection to anything other than frisbee.

Beyond trying that, we need to wait for advice from slacko's owner, 01micko.
Richard

jackwise

#218 Post by jackwise »

rerwin wrote:
jackwise wrote:Frisbee stops to work ( don't detect wireless connections) and I want to uninstall it, but with no success.
. . .
JW,
Welcome to the frisbee thread. Rather than uninstalling frisbee, simply do not let it be the default network manager. To do that, click the "connect" icon and change the radio button selection to anything other than frisbee.

Beyond trying that, we need to wait for advice from slacko's owner, 01micko.
Richard
Thanks for your answer. Ill try tonight and give feedback.
JW

ASRI éducation

#219 Post by ASRI éducation »

mavrothal wrote:Looks like that when X is restarted network_tray is not properly informed of the net state.
It's the same for me (on precise 5.5).

rerwin

Another frisbee update

#220 Post by rerwin »

peebee, mavrothal and others,
Here is another shot at reconciling your reports and preferences. Frisbee is the only package that changed in the attached kit. Highlights:
  • - Installation defaults to a compatible puppy-type network manager configuration with all wireless options off except for pop-up notifications.
    - If the "frisbee as default network manager" option is chosen during installation, all options are "on", wifi enabled and connected at startup (similar to the "beta" way).
    - Most of the flags are replaced by a configuration file, frisbee.conf, because the flags became unwieldy.
    - The "restart X" problem is managed; to restore normal network_tray function after an X restart, go into frisbee and click on either "Restart Networks" or "Restart DHCP".
    - The "Enable WiFi" and "Connect Automatically" checkboxes are now separate checkboxes; previously one did both.
    - "Enable WiFi" now greys-out the wireless fields if it is not checked (off), as would be expected of such an option; when not checked, wireless activity should be prevented, although I may have missed a place (so please report any inconsistency).
    - Debugged the "Change Interface" button logic, using an added USB WiFi stick; did not test actual operations with two WiFis, so we may find issues to work -- I think frisbee uses only one at a time.
    - Modified the pop-up notification feature so that it can be used with other network managers without conflict from frisbee; frisbee should control it independently but restore it upon exit (but not actually tested).
Richard

UPDATE 3/20/2013: Uploaded version 20130320 to correct the network_tray_modeset startup script to use the new configuration file instead of the old frisbee_mode flag file, an inadvertent omission. This should result in the correct setup of frisbee after a reboot.

UPDATE 3/22/2013: Oops! I inadvertently included the tarball inside the tarball, instead of the frisbee package. I have now re-uploaded the kit containing an updated version of the package that may address the issue with openvpn. (Sorry to be so slow, but real-life distractions occurred.)

UPDATE 3/24/2013: Re-uploaded to enable wifi and autoconnect for all frisbee installations, omit "Scanning..." pop-up if wifi or autoconnect are disabled and to update network_tray icons for better visibility in the dark blue tray area of precise pup 5.5.

UPDATE 3/25/2013: Re-uploaded to improve the logic for avoiding automatic wireless connection at boot-up and to ensure frisbee mode is set at boot-up, when appropriate, so that the frisbee network icons are used.

UPDATE 4/1/2013: Re-uploaded the kit, as 20130331, to restore the "scanning" message when automatic connection is deselected and to restore the functioning of the "dropwait" feature. The released version of the interface to it does not detect correctly the presence of the dropwait feature, so does not use it. Also split the 99-notify code file into 2, adding 99-frisbee, to separate out the frisbee-network_tray-specific logic. (Eventually, the network_tray logic will be removed from 99-frisbee.) The updated packages are frisbee and woof_updates.

UPDATE 4/20/2013: Note that a better version of the kit, frisbee-1.1/network_tray-2.7, is available on page 17:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 497#698497
with an improved tray icon and continued functioning after an X restart.
Attachments
frisbee-1.0_puppy-5.5_kit-20130331.tar.gz
Kit for puppies 5.5 - Precise, Wary, Racy and maybe Slacko (not tested).
Includes frisbee, dhcpcd-dropwait and separate woof_update.
Now has updated tray icons for precise 5.5.
(76.54 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 27 Apr 2013, 18:00, edited 7 times in total.