puppy installation is the BEST of all of them!

Promote Puppy !
edwardsmarkf

puppy installation is the BEST of all of them!

#1 Post by edwardsmarkf »

hello all -

i attempted installation the following on my old dell 5100 laptop with a linksys wpc600n wireless card:

ubuntu
opensuse
chromeOS
mintlinux
slackware **

but only puppy immediately recognized my linksys wpc600n pcmcia card! all the rest required ndiswrapper (and a couple of them had serious desktop problems) and ndiswrapper didnt even power up my network card. puppy powered it up right out of the box with no problems.

i was very surprised that slackware didnt work. i thought that puppy was really built on slackware.

i had hoped to run google-chrome on a linux, but the instruction page seemed a bit advanced for a newbie:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Chrome

however, i suppose i can go backwards to use firefox!

qkall

#2 Post by qkall »

first welcome to the world of puppy! i never have a puppy disk too far from me :).

as for chrome try the PETs subforum -
but i did find this
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 07&t=84349

ally

#3 Post by ally »

hey mark

welcome to puppy

be careful though, it's addictive!

which puppy version are you using?

:)

edwardsmarkf

#4 Post by edwardsmarkf »

hello ally - and thanks for the warm greeting !

i was using 5.4, but now i notice there is a new version 5.5 - downloading now.

qkall - thanks for that chrome link. generally what i do is to struggle through it, skip half of the most important instructions, start over a dozen times, post some stupid forum questions, and then put together some really truly brain-dead newbie instructions. i will have a look at those chome instructions.

i am still totally amazed that the absolute smallest usable linux i have ever seen is also the only linux that also connected to my home wiFi without me having to jump through any hoops, or buy a new wireless card. totally AMAZING, i tell you!

my only objections were with the instructions that said not to boot off the disk. disk booting was good enough for my great grandfather, my father, and dag-nab it, its good enough for me too ! :D

ally

#5 Post by ally »

booting off disc is ok but slower than hdd

a 'frugal' install emulates a disc copy by copying the files from the cd to hdd but runs in the same fashion

as a hdd is quicker than optical media it will boot quicker

you can if you wish boot from cd still but put the savefile on the hdd or if the machine is desktop you can save the savefile back to cd too if you want

mega flexible

yes puppy is quite impressive, I purchased a load of eeepc's for all the family and tried to install windows for my father as he's a bit of a technophobe, 2 hours later, no lan/wlan/sound etc etc

puppy 'installs' each time it boots and takes about 25 seconds -pukka

which puppy versions it can be a little difficult with just a version number as there a different 'flovours' with the same suffix, ie slacko 5.5 or precise 5.5

there are pet or sfs copies of chrome (or chromium) about, pets install and sfs files are 'run'

you would use sfs-load-on-the-fly to load them, you can then have them load each time or use and unload

it doesn't take long to get comfortbale, no question is a silly one, however search is always good

as forum searches can be a frustrating there is a bespoke puppy google search here: http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

have fun

:)

badrra

#6 Post by badrra »

I installed windows, Ubuntu, xubuntu, debian, zenwalk, wolvix and acountless others but the best I've had so far is puppy linux.It is even faster than MAC.