Portabase Database for Lucid

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
DaveS

Portabase Database for Lucid

#1 Post by DaveS »

I made a .pet for this little database, including the missing libs and menu entry. Download it from here http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/
username puppy
password linux

You need the portabase.pet. The other .pet, portabaselibs.pet is only required if you have installed another version and it is not working.

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jakfish

#2 Post by jakfish »

Well done, many thanks. I use portabase in both Puppy and Windows, and also in my Sharp Zaurus (qtopia linux).

If it had ever been ported to Symbian, I would've kept my E90 phone. I never found anything closer to the old Psion Date program.

Jake

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

Continuing on from this, Jabu2 has made the following valid point in a PM:

More than almost any other piece of software, it may become critical - and any functional failure of a database may represent a large loss (time and effort) to the user.

Databases tend to enlarge in every direction, with time. Rarely does a database end up the way it started out. Design of a database is normally more important than choice of software to run it.

I don't know if Portabase (which seems to have reported no news for a year now) is able to handle what this, or any other user, needs.

Personally, on puppy, if you can load/use LibreOffice or Open Office, then that suite's ability to provide a database function should be mentioned. Both have SFS, and one or both will stay the course, at source and originally and in Puppy SFS format.

IMHO both are pretty solid even with quite sizeable data sets. I haven't tried Portabase - why would you, unless you couldn't use LibreOffice?

There are of course many others, including the new Calligra but it's a bit new for me at this stage. OK to try, but not to use for a real database which one may need to be be ongoing and robust for many years.

This is valid advice... Horses for courses.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tatamata

#4 Post by tatamata »

Maybe you could try MightyQuery as well.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68596

It is truelly portable database with absolutelly no dependencies...

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for the new packages.

As for the question of Portabase's adequacy, which has been raised in this thread, I can see how it might come up wanting if you want to use a database for a lot of complex relational stuff, but for what I want to do with a database (keep a database of local dialect words and meanings, and also several files of names and contact details), it fits the bill perfectly and it's also compact and easy to set up and use.

I suspect many other Puppy users would find it suitable for their needs too. I've tried and failed to get the database in Open Office to work, and from what I gather from forums elsewhere it's not an easy thing to learn even if you need to.

Someone also mentioned the possibility of failure in Portabase, and the answer's simple; back up both your Portabase data files (extension .pob), and also and more regularly, the file you get when you export the data in your updated ones to a comma-delimited text file (ending in .csv). Then, if the database fails at any time, you can reconstruct it by loading an old copy of the data file, deleting the data in it (but still keeping the database structure) and then importing the newest .csv file you've got into it.

I should honestly buy Warren a beer (at least) for all the time and effort Portabase has saved me since I started using it, and for what it's enabled me to do. I hope he still looks in here.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#6 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; the Portabase pet doesn't seem to work in Slack-based Pups such as PuppEX (the one I'm using now). What does work is to install portabaselibs. pet and then portabase.deb (the Debian version of Portabase).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#7 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just seen that the Portabase devs have released a new version of their excellent database program (2.1), so I've downloaded it and am using it now. 2.1 works well in Debian and should work in Puppy too with the portabaselibs pet.

It looks good and works well except that at the moment it's opening my files in read-only mode. This isn't a problem at the moment but may be in future when I want to do some editing.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sat 20 Oct 2012, 07:03, edited 2 times in total.

Dingo

#8 Post by Dingo »

try my QT4-STATIC build (no dependencies needed)
- http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/19/ ... /portabase
- http://ubuntuone.com/5NZlVXx8bEdJFU4xlUVSLV (mirror)

built in Puppy 5.2.5 with QT 4.7.3 STATIC
Last edited by Dingo on Sat 04 May 2013, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Colonel Panic

#9 Post by Colonel Panic »

Dingo wrote:try my QT4-STATIC build (no dependencies needed)
- http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/19/ ... /portabase

built in Puppy 5.2.5 with QT 4.7.3 STATIC
Many thanks, I will!

Cheers,

CP .

charlie6

Portabase 2.1 git 20120910

#10 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
thanks having kept updating this post !
Portabase was what i missed till now.
Here running Pemasu's dPup-Exprimos since a few months ...so got a try running Portabase on it.
The latest version Portabase 2.1 git 20120910 might well need (...imho..!) libs from Qt4.8.0 to run on it: libQtCore, libQtXml and libQtGUI. These are present in qt4-4.8.0.sfs at Exprimo repository here:
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/Sfs/qt4-4.8.0.sfs

Here is a pet with full locale and html tutorial , without the libs.

Have fun ;->
Charlie

last edited: to tell you all about this pet ...
- I tried to compile because the forums member Dingo's static compilation has only the english locale (thanks anyway, Dingo ! :) );
- compilation attempts failed here; so i gave up trying to compile as 2.1 binaries already exist which also seem running nicely with Qt-4-4.80.
- this is a pet arrangement using the debian's Portabase_2.1-git20120910-1-i386.deb from debian repo. The /usr/bin/portabase here is a (home-made) script launching the original 'portabase' renamed to 'portabase_2.1git20120910';
- I believe it could be the same /usr/bin/portabase (1902K) file that is available on te sourceforge portabase repo (i.e. http://ignum.dl.sourceforge.net/project ... 1_i386.deb whose binary is also 1902K size)
- this pet might work on other Puppies
- tested on uPup Precise 54X4 ... just that the preview is a bit "jerky" if the window size is to small when selecting File/Print Preview / icon Adjust on width.
- OK on dPup Exprimo 3.6.2

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Charlie6.

Thanks for making this handy database utility available to Puppyists.

However, I believe you have the full libQtCore twice in the -2.0 package and in the libs package... If you put a link instead, your pet archives would be about 1,2 Mg smaller?

I also found this symbol error running the 2.1 version :
/usr/bin/portabase_2.1git20120910: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/portabase_2.1git20120910: undefined symbol: _ZNK7QLocale11uiLanguagesEv
I suppose I don't have the proper locale installed on my computer? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

charlie6

#12 Post by charlie6 »

Bonjour Musher0 ! :D
musher0 wrote:...
However, I believe you have the full libQtCore twice in the -2.0 package and in the libs package... If you put a link instead, your pet archives would be about 1,2 Mg smaller?
this 2.1 version is free from Qt libs ...so i do not understand ... :?
(see tree in attachment)
...I also found this symbol error running the 2.1 version :
/usr/bin/portabase_2.1git20120910: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/portabase_2.1git20120910: undefined symbol: _ZNK7QLocale11uiLanguagesEv
I suppose I don't have the proper locale installed on my computer? Thanks in advance for any insight.
I only used it on exprimo ... which accepts debian archives ...and the proposed .pet is derived from the portabase debian archive.
So it might not run properly on other Puppies. I tried to compile the source without success and i gave up as i found the debian archive working on exprimo.

Hope this answers your question .
Charlie
ps: i now have choosen to dig into Sqlitestudio as portabase seems no longer being supported (i did not yet have got any answer on a PM to its developper ...)
Attachments
prtbase.txt.gz
!!! just rename and drop the .gz extension for reading !!!
(22.43 KiB) Downloaded 766 times

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

My appologies, Charlie6.

My bad... I should've addressed the comment to DaveS, the person who packaged version 2.0.
Your version 2.1 has indeed a different packaging. (However, I cannot get it to work on my set-ups, which is why I went back to version 2.0 and found the oversight.)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Charlie6 wrote:
> ps: i now have choosen to dig into Sqlitestudio as portabase seems no longer being supported (i did not yet have got any answer on a PM to its developper ...)

Well, about that... My motivation would have fallen flat too, if my international call for funding a web version of my "popular" program had reined in only 150 $ or so... Humans are free-riders, aren't they?

BFN.

m0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

charlie6

#15 Post by charlie6 »

Bonjour Misher0,
i went to get a try installing the above portabase -2.1
pet on pemasu's wheezy-3.5.2.5 + qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet (see pemasu's repo), pristine boot:
portabase runs OK ootb even if there is still a missing libicui18n.so.42 dep reported .
Charlie
[ps: to get libicui18n.so.42 , install the libicui18n from debian wheezy repo + make a symlink to the libicui18n.so.48.1.1]
Attachments
PortaNwheezy.jpg
portabase 2.1 on wheezy-3.5.2.5 + qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet
(26.49 KiB) Downloaded 1060 times

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Charlie6.

Here's the kind of error I get in lucid Puppy 5.25-retro. I don't know what to make of it.

BFN.

musher0
Attachments
portabase-2.1-error.jpg
(13.86 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
Last edited by musher0 on Sat 04 May 2013, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

POrtabase for Lucid

#17 Post by Pelo »

Portabase would be fine, but i fail insertin an image. I dont understand what do do when arrived in image process
Look screenshot : at this precise step, I am lost. Help !
Largeur
La largeur maximale autorisée pour l’image (en pixels).
Hauteur
La hauteur maximale autorisée pour l’image (en pixels).

The portabase french manual tell us to write the width pixel number, same for the heigth.

We cannot write in that panel !
Attachments
portabase.jpg
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 534 times

hamoudoudou

Import data from CSV,

#18 Post by hamoudoudou »

Import data from CSV, XML, and MobileDB files. Import csv is the most important and is crashing crash and crash, :(
Attachments
csv.jpg
(14.74 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

I haven't tried in it in Lucid, but I find that Portabase 2.01 (from the .deb file) works fine in Slacko with the portabase libs file installed.

Pelo

Poor portabase for Linux...

#20 Post by Pelo »

If you are not aware of some MBs more, try Symphytum.. Free for Linux, 14 days try with Windows.
If you have already install Qt libs, symphytum will be only two or three MBs more. Perhaps it's the best friendly Database you will find.
what data base for Linux
The pet will be provided by post : QT4 based symphytum, and GTK based muibase in the here above topic. They talk about Portabase too.